Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2016, 07:31   #1
p2driver

Rover 75 tourer

Default faulty tailgate on 75tourer

Hi folks, i have an annoying problem that has surfaced on my 2002 tourer cdt.
The tailgate will not open on a hot day, either by the tailgate switch or the internal release switch in the footwell. Its fine in the cooler weather so Im guessing its the microswitch?
Even more annoying is the tailgate glass has taken upon itself to open by itself when the car is unlocked.
This can happen when I'm driving along. It also will not open when I want it to!
Its ok if the car is locked, so I've taken to locking myself in the car when driving, but its not an ideal situation and I was wondering if any of you good folk have had the same, and can point me in the direction I need to go!

Many Thanks,
Peter
p2driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 08:45   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Sorry to be naive I didn't think a Tourer had an internal release switch in the footwell, correct me if I am wrong.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 09:22   #3
p2driver

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Sorry to be naive I didn't think a Tourer had an internal release switch in the footwell, correct me if I am wrong.

Rev
Well mine certainly has, just below the bonnet release.Maybe its something that was deleted in later models?
Old 18th July 2016, 11:22   #4
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

My Mk1 Tourer has it too so maybe it was removed in Project Drive.

Sorry, no idea on your original quest though.
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 16:19   #5
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Early mk1 models had this switch
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 13:13   #6
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2driver View Post
The tailgate will not open on a hot day, either by the tailgate switch or the internal release switch in the footwell. Its fine in the cooler weather so Im guessing its the microswitch?
Even more annoying is the tailgate glass has taken upon itself to open by itself when the car is unlocked.
This can happen when I'm driving along. It also will not open when I want it to!
Its ok if the car is locked, so I've taken to locking myself in the car when driving, but its not an ideal situation and I was wondering if any of you good folk have had the same, and can point me in the direction I need to go!

Many Thanks,
Peter

Hi.
I had a similar problem with tailgate glass opening. Usually no problem but if a hot sun shone on it for too long I had great difficulty closing the window. Then one day it popped open when driving.
After advice from this forum I adjusted the catch so that the glass didn't pull down quite so tight thinking that would fix it, but no joy.
I then thought the release button under the wiper spindle was too sensitive, which turned out to be the problem.
If you lever off the black plastic cap for the switch, just under the wiper spindle, you gain access to what looks like a small circuit board. Be very careful when you do as there are at least one small spring ready to shoot out. I cleaned the board and been fine since.
I'm telling you this from memory, so bear with me if details not exactly spot on.
Good luck.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 13:50   #7
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2driver View Post

Many Thanks,
Peter

Hi.
I had a similar problem with tailgate glass opening. Usually no problem but if a hot sun shone on it for too long I had great difficulty closing the window. Then one day it popped open when driving.
After advice from this forum I adjusted the catch so that the glass didn't pull down quite so tight thinking that would fix it, but no joy.
I then thought the release button under the wiper spindle was too sensitive, which turned out to be the problem.
If you lever off the black plastic cap for the switch, just under the wiper spindle, you gain access to what looks like a small circuit board. Be very careful when you do as there are at least one small spring ready to shoot out. I cleaned the board and been fine since.
I'm telling you this from memory, so bear with me if details not exactly spot on.
Good luck.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 18:46   #8
p2driver

Rover 75 tourer

Thank you for your input, i will try the switches and give them a good clean up; after all they are over 14 years old now!
Peter