Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2018, 14:18   #1
J-t-s
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default What to do with Battery Strap

I'd appreciate any advice please. I have just replaced the old 096 battery on my diesel automatic with a 110 battery. It is more powerful and slightly longer so fills up the entire battery compartment. This means that there is no room for the restraining strap and metal bolt-down clip. Should I leave the battery strap on top or cut it off. I'm worried about the metal clip at the end wandering around near the battery terminals.
J-t-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 14:58   #2
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-t-s View Post
I'd appreciate any advice please. I have just replaced the old 096 battery on my diesel automatic with a 110 battery. It is more powerful and slightly longer so fills up the entire battery compartment. This means that there is no room for the restraining strap and metal bolt-down clip. Should I leave the battery strap on top or cut it off. I'm worried about the metal clip at the end wandering around near the battery terminals.
Don't cut it off, you will need it. The battery must be secured by the strap. Its part of the MOT so it will fail if it s not secured. You need a smaller battery by the sounds of it.
Old 16th February 2018, 15:00   #3
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I would say don't cut it off unless you have a ready-to-fit replacement, as the strap is there for safety reasons - the battery needs to be secured in place. But definitely don't leave the strap loose either! Seems odd that a battery sold for our cars wouldn't fit in the allocated space. Have you extended the return loop of the strap through the clip as far as it can go? I'd have thought there should be enough length to do that. It may also be possible to rotate the clip at the bottom so that the vertical part is closer to the front end of the car - that might give you another inch or so, but bolting it into place like that will be difficult if not impossible.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:08   #4
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I filled the battery box by putting in a larger battery too. There is no way its going to move around the box (Bosch s5010 I think) so do not see how could fail MOT, not that I am an expert . Just took the strap and bolt out and left in the boot if needed in the future.
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:31   #5
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

One year I took my 416 for its MOT, and the garage took my brand new battery out and fitted a smaller one to get it through.
Doesn't matter what we think, the examiners can be very strict.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:53   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySteve View Post
I filled the battery box by putting in a larger battery too. There is no way its going to move around the box (Bosch s5010 I think) so do not see how could fail MOT, not that I am an expert . Just took the strap and bolt out and left in the boot if needed in the future.
They are supposed to check the battery is securing fixed, the box is not adequate for that. My MOT includes my removing the box cover, so he can clip his leads onto the battery, so the battery not properly fixed is not easy to miss.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 15:54   #7
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
One year I took my 416 for its MOT, and the garage took my brand new battery out and fitted a smaller one to get it through.
Doesn't matter what we think, the examiners can be very strict.
OK, not UK MOT, but on the Dutch equivalent APK I was failed for a missing strap. The tester said that "part of the vehicle as originally fitted and approved for retaining the battery, was missing,". He doesn't have to make a judgment as to whether it works without it or not; the vehicle was designed to have it. Type approval was based on its presence, and he can't test its functioning if it's not there ... so there! Expect the MOT-man's explanation of any failure on that basis would be similar.
Not really extra 'picky'; rules are rules.

Last edited by dbt01; 16th February 2018 at 15:59..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 16:01   #8
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Must admit my local MOT tester has never checked the battery strap
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 16:12   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I didn't think the English mot would have allowed for removal of the lid for inspection. In saying that on my past few cars, I didn't notice them checking it, they have on older models though.

It is a critical safety item though. In an impact, travelling from 70 to zero, the battery will still have some of that momentum if not secured. Additionally, if it rolls over, falls out and shorts on a bare metal part of the bonnet, leaking fuel, sparks ...... Etc

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 16:20   #10
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I thought similar, that mot testers couldn't remove items to check anything?
Hopefully one of the mot testers will let us know

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote