Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2018, 12:46   #1
Mikem

Rover 75 Saloon

Angry Air Conditioning Issue on 2.0 Ltr CDTi BMW Engine

I have recently had my air conditioning looked at. The garage re-gassed the system. They have told me that the fans are not working, hence when in traffic the air recycle system cuts in and hot air comes out. The garge says they are not able to locate a replacement fan now, and the last one they fitted on a 75 was £500 + fitting, their suggestion was to scrap the car !!!! Checking under the bonnet I can only see one fan and this seems to be an electrical radiator fan. I cannot see any other fans. PLEASE can anyone advise. Thanks Mike
Mikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 12:52   #2
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I don't have a definitive answer so no questions please but this may be helpful:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=216869
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 13:26   #3
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Your best bet is to contact Jules, it won't cost you anything like £500, it's either a blown resistor, or a bad motor brush. Jules will point you in the right direction. Also have a look here:-

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...+gold+resistor

Last edited by Vanbursta; 6th August 2018 at 13:30..
Vanbursta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 14:13   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Mike.
After looking in your profile I note you have a 03 plate R40 therefore if you still have the original fan fitted it could be either the four wire 3 speed fan, which if so then most likely the low & medium speed brushes may have worn down, these can be changed but the job is intrusive and time consuming, albeit the brushes are a low cost £25 there about.

It is the removing of the fan to repair which is quite a fair bit of work, bumper off, slam panel off including the lights, cutting round the A/C pipes so as not to disturb the air con gas that you have just had put in, then you have the repair in front of you, again at least an hours work.

If on the other hand you have the two wire 2 speed fan with silver resistor, which can be seen through the front grill at about 2.0 Oclock that would need changing to a gold one, about an hours steady work, as in the link given above, but first you need to know which fan you have in place at the present time.

And last but not least drop Jules a PM he will fit you a Revotec 2 speed fan for about half the price the garage have told you and he will also make sure you have very cold air indeed at the same time checking the condenser. Arctic

PS maybe find another garage too if they are giving you that advise to scrap the car.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 6th August 2018 at 14:23..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 14:59   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Scrap the car? What planet are they on ?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 15:23   #6
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Yeah, that's a garage I wouldn't be going back to.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 16:13   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

When I had my previous 75 CDT ( 4 years ago ) and started having starting problems I went to a local well known garage for their top of the range diagnostic machine to tell me the problem after speaking to a former Rover mechanic who recommended them..

£45 lighter I was informed that it was bad news, the high pressure diesel pump had gone and that the price of a replacement was £900 just for the part plus labour to fit.

I was advised to trawl round to a small garage on the other side of Barry Dock from the diagnostic place because he might have one ( which he didn't and who expressed amazement that the garage would think that he might )

Having had a nose round this site I bought a guaranteed second hand intank pump for £40 and another garage fitted it for £45.

Job fixed, car back running fine for £85 instead of being scrapped on the advice of the well respected repair and diagnostic garage still operating out of the Nissan huts on Barry Dock.

Normally I would have been straight back down for my £45 diagnostic fee back but I was so annoyed that I thought it better not to call down in case things got out of hand.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 17:34   #8
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

I had a fan off of Jules a few years back and fitted it myself, you just have to be methodical and take your time, good luck.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 22:35   #9
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

You can't buy a new fan the same as Rover fitted (unless you can find 'new' old stock somewhere), however it's highly likely yours is repairable if you can solder and have a powerful soldering iron, or know someone willing to take this on for you. You could also fit an aftermarket fan which are more readily available and more garages would be willing to fit, but this is an inferior solution to the OEM system. Both of the above suggestions will need you to do a fair amount of front-end dissasembly but nothing difficult or time-consuming.
Old 7th August 2018, 07:55   #10
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
You can't buy a new fan the same as Rover fitted (unless you can find 'new' old stock somewhere), however it's highly likely yours is repairable if you can solder and have a powerful soldering iron, or know someone willing to take this on for you. You could also fit an aftermarket fan which are more readily available and more garages would be willing to fit, but this is an inferior solution to the OEM system. Both of the above suggestions will need you to do a fair amount of front-end dissasembly but nothing difficult or time-consuming.
Go to Jules and get a Revotec fan, never have a problem with it after fitting, I did and would recommend to anyone.
Gareth.
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote