Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th July 2021, 18:14   #1
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Default Diesel fuel economy, a new pb

Having just completed two weeks of work, I have managed a new personal best when it comes to economy, and I’m very impressed with the old rov!
I haven’t really been trying to break records, and the journeys haven’t been favourable for ultra high economy but it’s still performed well. Over the last 10 days the journeys are as follows
55 miles to the first destination, 130 miles to the second destination then 17 miles to the digs, mostly motorway and A roads, keeping around 65mph.
Then 9 days of 17 miles to work, 17 miles back on A roads, again around 65mph where possible and a couple of runs to the local supermarket.
And finally a 17 mile journey and 180 miles home again, 65mph ish so here’s the result for those that haven’t added that lot up

Still had 7 litres in the tank when I filled it up so the official mpg for that was 55mpg which considering the journeys I’ve done is impressive! So the computer wasn’t far off for a change. I think this car would easily do 60mpg or more on a longer run and 800 miles to a tank shouldn’t be a problem.

Not bad for a 17 year old banger, manual diesel tourer for info with a working thermostat.

What’s your best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2021, 18:48   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Because i'm being lazy i'll quote an earlier post i made 4 years ago about consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Just got back from a run to Manchester and thought i'd try and get an accurate idea of economy especially now its got the 160 map.
I brimmed the tank as i left Norwich last night and brimmed it again this evening on my way back in. Was stuck in nose to tail traffic for a hour leaving Manchester but the rest of the run was driven to the speed limits.... mostly .
Round journey was 412 miles and i used 32.8 litres of diesel.
Now assuming my calculations are correct

32.8/4.55 to convert to gallons = 7.21 ish
412 miles/7.21 = 57.1 mpg

I am assuming that the pumps at the garage are properly calibrated and i used the same pump in the same garage at about the same time of night but i was a little surprised i was getting that sort of economy from a 160k engine and more than a little pleased

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2021, 13:34   #3
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Mine rarely gets above 40mpg on average, nearly all local though.
Old 24th August 2021, 13:51   #4
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

During a holiday trip, diesel manual averaged 54.8 mpg over 340 miles, best I've ever had. On commute it normally does 48-49 but that's on 60-75 mph roads.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2021, 16:49   #5
Wolds_lady_2006
Loves to post

MG ZT

Smile 2003 MG-ZT Fuel Economy

I generally watch my mpg and use the full to empty method to keep checking my vehicle economy.

The IPK says I'm doing 57.55 average but my system says it's a more realistic 52.7.

Great considering it's nearly 20 years old.

It's manual and diesel.
Wolds_lady_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2021, 19:27   #6
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolds_lady_2006 View Post
I generally watch my mpg and use the full to empty method to keep checking my vehicle economy.

The IPK says I'm doing 57.55 average but my system says it's a more realistic 52.7.

Great considering it's nearly 20 years old.

It's manual and diesel.

For the past ten years I have had to use automatic diesels as my legs don’t work as well as they used to. Before I went Automatic I had taken on some part time work for a friend the journey was 84 miles each way. My morning commute time was so early that there was no traffic about. Motorway for 81 miles of the journey driving at speeds between 55 and 65 the average MPG was 63.7. If I set the speed button she dropped to the high fifty’s. My best ever was travelling just over 1000 miles on a tank of fuel filling up when the red light came on which was 43 miles after the light came on till I found a derv pump.
And they say we should go electric I would bet that you could not get the same distance for the amount of energy used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote