Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th September 2021, 20:44   #31
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantwich 75 View Post
Why not get rid of that European impostition,..................VAT.

1st June 2016
Boris Johnson and Michael Gove today claimed that the government would be able to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain leaves the EU.

I am NOT turning this thread into another leave/remain debate, BUT why has this particular VAT cut not been made?
It would certainly help everyone at the moment.
Just saying !
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 20:55   #32
Gremlin

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
1st June 2016
Boris Johnson and Michael Gove today claimed that the government would be able to scrap VAT on household energy bills if Britain leaves the EU.

I am NOT turning this thread into another leave/remain debate, BUT why has this particular VAT cut not been made?
It would certainly help everyone at the moment.
Just saying !
Good point. An excellent idea and one most would support.

Sadly, as good an idea as it is I suspect it has been put on the back burner.

And of course if one cost affects the low paid more than the wealthier it is fuel bills. A fuel bill of £100 a month is a huge chunk of a low paid families disposable income.

But those on far higher incomes hardly notice the bill - or that it now has VAT added to it since 1993.

Last edited by Gremlin; 19th September 2021 at 21:04..
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 21:26   #33
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

An unfair unbalanced tax regime for wage earners is one thing - never justifiable but it is the system that we have. A much bigger problem that robs the country of tax receipts it should be receiving is the corporate dodging of major industrial and retail businesses' taxation which is allowed to persist despite full knowledge of it. To hell with the havens.

A result of oily palms of those too close to government and the individual relationships of the smiling-between-the-teeth of predators. They don't measure success by pounds or kilos, just millions. All conveniently legal.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:01   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I don’t think we could take the shock of seeing £6.40 a gallon , mind you I’m paying £7 for 4 litres of paraffin for my Tilley lamp !
At my age I can clearly remember getting SEVEN gallons for a £1,00 of Jet petrol.---Soon get used to that again.

I remember the insurance for my E-Type Jag was only £32.00 a year as well.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 06:57   #35
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I am 5ft 9 inches tall, I weigh 12 stone, I live 2 miles from the nearest town and my car does mpg.

I have no idea how tall I am in Metric, how much I weigh, how far it is or how many litre you would need to travel a mile or what ever complicated calculation the foreigners use.

I go into the Butcher and ask for a pound of mince or a 9 ounce steak, Eggs still come in half dozens.

I was watching something the other night on TV. Apparently the French tried to metricise time. There are still samples of these metric clocks.

I have to admit small measurements are easier in metric, I know how big 5mm is but I have no idea what 3/16 of an inch is.
Steve, whilst you might ask your butcher for a pound of mince or whatever, he/she will weigh it in metric (454 grams which has now, commercially, been rounded down to 400 grams), otherwise he/she would be breaking the law.

Most of the people in the UK who's education was with imperial weights are no longer with us :-( and in about 1971/72 my exams were in metric units although all my learning was imperial. It would not, at this point, be of any benefit to wholly go back to imperial. Whilst pints are still with us (thank the Lord) I have noticed that wines and spirits are increasingly sold by metric measure.

Kev
p.s.
I'm surprised about the 3/16" problem
but I guess Jensen and their huge V8's
didn't use such a small fixings
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 08:56   #36
Gremlin

MG ZTT

About the time you were sitting your exams I was doing up old motorbikes etc. and bought a socket set from Exchange and Mart that contained AF, Whitworth and Metric sockets.

It’s a lot easier with metric all round.

But I do think that making use of any sort of measurement a criminal offence is criminal in itself IMO.

So I’m pleased common sense seems to be gaining the upper hand here.

Especially as precious metals like gold are still measured in Troy Ounces which was originally set by the Roman monetary system.
Old 20th September 2021, 11:55   #37
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
About the time you were sitting your exams I was doing up old motorbikes etc. and bought a socket set from Exchange and Mart that contained AF, Whitworth and Metric sockets.

It’s a lot easier with metric all round.
You must have been rich.....I had to build my tool collection bit by bit. A socket here, a spanner there. Took a few years to have a useable range.
Quote:
But I do think that making use of any sort of measurement a criminal offence is criminal in itself IMO.

So I’m pleased common sense seems to be gaining the upper hand here.
Totally agree!
Quote:
Especially as precious metals like gold are still measured in Troy Ounces which was originally set by the Roman monetary system.
What about perches, rods and chains? You'll have the PRCF brigade after you (Perches, Rods, Chains and Furlongs). How about Hands?

Let each be comfortable in their skin and be allowed to operate within their knowledge.

Kev

[/QUOTE]
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 12:30   #38
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

I my took 'O' levels in 1971 and i think they were in the arcane imperial system that I was taught. Since then I have used metric and imperial systems (proficient in both) and for most things prefer the more logical metric system though do prefer a pint of beer!

A couple of points: most people I would imagine under 60 were taught the metric system as primary means and may have self taught imperial or been with an employer who used both.

As some of you know I own and run a full size 50 ton steam locomotive. I am in the course of rebuilding and where I can I am replacing all imperial bolts, nuts, washers etc (ie new smokebox and saddletank) and other platework with metric equivalent. Far easier to obtain and much cheaper.
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 13:11   #39
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

There is quite a lot of misinformation in this thread - soemthing not usually known to occur

Use of imperial measurements was not illegal. Their use alongside metric was legal.

The question of going back to imperial or not should be answered not in the context of the EU, but the world. Does the UK wish to have a seemless integration and trading system with the world or retreat into self-imposed isolation?

The majority of items that we purchase are manufactured using metric measurements. If we wish to sell to others, they will have to be manufactured in metric measurements.

Now imagine an engineering company wishing to bid for a multi-million contract in say India and is to submit a detailed 800-page engineering bid support document. Think of the time and cost that will be incurred in translating all the required information in the document into metric. Does anyone really believe that others will be willing to pay for our lack of competitiveness?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2021, 13:32   #40
Gremlin

MG ZTT

@MSS

Not read the link then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Lol. As to breaking the law...I did feel sorry for this chap.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk...m_medium=email