Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th September 2021, 22:37   #1
ardenconny

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 75 KV6 breather freezing?

Hello,

I have so far enjoyed around 200mi of trouble-free driving with my fixed transmission. However, as we are closing in winter, the car is going back to the shop to get a new thermostat equipped, as the car still has the original thermostat installed. My 45 had an iffy thermostat during last winter, and that was definitely not fun, so I thought not to redo my mistake in that regard.

However, I‘ve read from numerous forums, that the breather piping on the KV6 engine has a tendency to freeze and in worst case, cause a quite of a headache and an expensive repair bill. Is there a way to make this problem disappear? I have the mask cover for the car, but as it is the cars first winter this north, I am worried that it won‘t be enough.

Users in the Finnish Rover forum (Rover Friends Finland) have told this issue occurring, and so far no one has provided a permanent fix for this. Apparently there has been a shop in Finland that has equipped KV6s with a breather pipe heating. No concrete proof has shown me exactly how they accomplished this and I remain quite disbelieved about this solution ever existing. And when I asked about this solution on the forums, I just got replies from LandRover people giving me absolutely no good answers at all, ugh!

I also bumped across a thread that suggested fitting the engine with LR Freelander 2006 KV6 breather pipes, as part of the BD127EX service campaign. However, the BD127EX to me sounds more like a British ZIP code, than an actual part number. And google seems to think that too, as the code provides no concrete search results. Am I onto something here or am I completely wrong? Can the 75 even be a semi-reliable car during winter, or do I have to whip out the 45 again?

PS: I wouldn‘t ask about this, if the car wouldn‘t spit so much water out of the exhaust on every cold start. Last winter we had temperatures below -25 Celsius, so the water has a very high chance of freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owner of Conny, a 1999 model year Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 KV6 Auto. She was born on the 21 of April 1999 at 11:30 and was 34th car built that that day.

* This vehicle was the 1,500th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
* This vehicle was the 26th 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur in Arden Green Pearlescent (JBR) with Deepsea Green interior to be made out of 545
* This vehicle was among the 24 75s in that spec that were exported to Finland
ardenconny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 06:50   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenconny View Post
... the car is going back to the shop to get a new thermostat equipped, as the car still has the original thermostat installed.
Hello Samu,

I would strongly advise you to rethink your plan. Does you gauge reach the mid position after about a mile of driving? Have you activated the instrument pack diagnostics to monitor the running temperature of your engine accurately? It should be in the low nineties. If it is and you have no coolant leaks in the 'V', leave well alone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenconny View Post
I‘ve read from numerous forums, that the breather piping on the KV6 engine has a tendency to freeze ...
Although I admit that I don't live in Finland we do have freezing temperatures here in the UK and in seventeen years ownership of my KV6 I have never been aware of frozen breather pipes (only one breakage which is fairly common).

Simon
Old 1st October 2021, 09:00   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Not as extreme as the North of Finland but minus 20s are not that uncommon here. I think the greatest danger facing our cars in the winter is the cam caps blowing when the crankcase pressure is too high (blocked breathers). One winter I heard of three owners with flying cam caps and in two cases terminal loss of oil, common for all three were temperatures below minus 20.

I’ve cleaned out the gauze filters inside the cam covers and drilled out the smaller 1.5 mm breather outlets (they will be blocked), which I see as preventive maintenance. Check the breather pipes are not cracked, our local Rover garage drilled (expanded) the breather pipe to throttle housing fitting.

Seals instead of cam caps are suggested as they provide less room for expansion - I’ve heard of several cam caps blowing but never seals.

I worked on one V6 which had the cold air Shannon tube routed towards the exhaust to provide warmer air, reducing the risk of freezing inside the throttle housing. (Not unknown for the throttle to freeze & very exciting when this happens). Earlier SD1 cars had a similar arrangement for winter driving, guess Rover engineers never thought about earlier clever designs.

Good luck

Last edited by vitesse; 2nd October 2021 at 09:23.. Reason: wrong name
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 16:22   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A strip and lube of the throttle body is preferable to worrying about breather pipes, the throttle bodies can freeze stuck (open) in very cold weather.