Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th December 2009, 12:21   #11
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

I cannot see what the problem is with speaking on the phone while stationary i dont know the full wording of the law but dont it say WHILST DRIVING ? so if i am standing still in reality i am moving, confusing ,as for driving and on the phone useing one hand is dangerous (as my nephew was knocked of his bike by a guy on the phone) and should carry a life ban in my view. but if you pull over and answerd the call then whats the problem. I think the most annoying part of the #1 post is when you see the offences the local police make, in my area i have seen the police on the phone, parked on yellows out side a icecream parlar sat in a van eating icecream, no seat belt etc .
And i will tell you a story a officer of the law told me.. i was on my way to the dentist with my son on a main rd i pressed the button on the lights to cross the rd as the dentists was opposite the lights, i turned to look to the left and a police car stoped to let me cross as i looked he had no seat belt on so i politly done the seatbelt motion with my hand and mouthed YOU HAVE NO BELT ON du with that he pulled in got out got right up to me about 3" from my face, but he felt rather small as im 6"5
and he was a small child, he went on whats your name BOY, dont have to tell you (THE LAW) as i was explaining the law to him about not wearing a seatbelt oh oh oh he said um im looking for someone and i dont have to weare one what utter NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, he did not know what to say as i caught him out ,so red faced he got in his car and went on his way . but the ironic part is the police station was 30 feet from the traffic lights where on other occations iv seen the same thing a traffic officer on the phone while at a junction waiting to pull out so there you have it
ONE LAW FOR THEM you know the rest
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 12:39   #12
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmrudragon View Post
I cannot see what the problem is with speaking on the phone while stationary i dont know the full wording of the law but dont it say WHILST DRIVING ? so if i am standing still in reality i am moving, confusing ,as for driving and on the phone useing one hand is dangerous (as my nephew was knocked of his bike by a guy on the phone) and should carry a life ban in my view. but if you pull over and answerd the call then whats the problem. I think the most annoying part of the #1 post is when you see the offences the local police make, in my area i have seen the police on the phone, parked on yellows out side a icecream parlar sat in a van eating icecream, no seat belt etc .
And i will tell you a story a officer of the law told me.. i was on my way to the dentist with my son on a main rd i pressed the button on the lights to cross the rd as the dentists was opposite the lights, i turned to look to the left and a police car stoped to let me cross as i looked he had no seat belt on so i politly done the seatbelt motion with my hand and mouthed YOU HAVE NO BELT ON du with that he pulled in got out got right up to me about 3" from my face, but he felt rather small as im 6"5
and he was a small child, he went on whats your name BOY, dont have to tell you (THE LAW) as i was explaining the law to him about not wearing a seatbelt oh oh oh he said um im looking for someone and i dont have to weare one what utter NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, he did not know what to say as i caught him out ,so red faced he got in his car and went on his way . but the ironic part is the police station was 30 feet from the traffic lights where on other occations iv seen the same thing a traffic officer on the phone while at a junction waiting to pull out so there you have it
ONE LAW FOR THEM you know the rest
it says "whilst being in charge of a motor vehicle" which comes down to the engine being on.
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 13:15   #13
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Well it depends on the the way you interparate the wording of the law im sure if it ens up in court the judge will see the stupidity of the officer giving the ticket, and the pettyness of it im sure
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 13:37   #14
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

For what its worth there is a notice up at work regarding ignition keys and phone calls and it goes something like this.............

As you all know most buses and a few coaches do not have ignition keys. When making a mobile call regardless of whether or not a key is in the ignition please make the call whilst out of the drivers seat with engine switched off.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:01   #15
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmrudragon View Post
Well it depends on the the way you interparate the wording of the law im sure if it ens up in court the judge will see the stupidity of the officer giving the ticket, and the pettyness of it im sure
Afraid not. It's an absolute offence The pettiness will be reflected in the sentence though.

Last edited by Raistlin; 16th December 2009 at 14:41..
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 20:40   #16
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

the laws an *** for the minor bump i just had i have to pay £100 pound to go on an awareness course as if the stress of the bump wasent enough

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 20:49   #17
Rover418275
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
it says "whilst being in charge of a motor vehicle" which comes down to the engine being on.

Sorry, disagree, people have been prosecuted for drink driving when in their homes and the keys are within the property, therefore the law cannot be interpreted one way for drink driving and another for using a mobile.

I am sure Raistlin will advise if I am wrong.......

I worked in the P1 (Legal Services) of the RAF and I used to have numerous cases (charges) withdrawn due to improper interpretation of the law by NCOs and MOD Police.
Rover418275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 22:14   #18
Steffan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Conn

It is a bit tough to be done for it on an industrial estate in Anglesey but I wish they would be consistent and book all the people that think answering a mobile phone call is a licence to pull over on a red route in the middle of London.
Steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 22:56   #19
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

This morning I was going to work when after coming round a gentle bend in the road I was faced with an on coming loorry.. thankfully in it's correct lane. However there was a car just starting an obvious overtaking (the lorry) manouvere.... I flashed my lights (which were on) and realised the driver was of the persuasion "I've started, so I'll finish" mentality.

I had to brake hard, as the oncoming car just about made it back into the correct lane - with me practically stopped, I gave the Agincourt salute. Only to be given the horn from the "offending" car..... driven by an uniformed Police officer.....

Respect ? .... Not!

Plus side - if there is one, is that it is the first time time I've had a twinge of "road-rage" since I bought the car!!

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 16th December 2009 at 23:03..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 23:18   #20
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

So, let me get this straight. If I am parked in a motorway service area, engine off, but keys in the ignition because I want to listen to the radio and I take a phone call then I could be prosecuted.

What half-witted cretin thought that up?

I suppose I shouldn't be suprised in a country where the 3 most powerful men are non-drivers.