Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2011, 13:43   #1
mikey_32
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 02 club se cdt remapped

Default Diesel Auto Towing

As some of you may remember but a couple of years ago I had an 02plate Club se Diesel estate and I still say it's the best car I've ever had, since then I've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe, a good car but nowhere near as refined as my Rover, anyway, a long story cut short, after just under 10k miles on a new clutch I have to replace the clutch yet again, (a common fault on this engine)
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting another 75/ZT-t but this time fancy an auto, I'll be asking the car to give everything that it's got as our caravan is 26" twin axle weighing in at 1600kgs, are the auto boxes good for towing this kind of weight when I only tow probably 1500/2000 miles per year?

Mike
Old 5th October 2011, 14:00   #2
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

The previous owner to my 2002 diesel tourer auto did a p/ex as the car was not suitable for the caravan they towed. I would suggest the problem with any auto is hill starting ability with a caravan on the back. There is so much slip. There is no doubt the engine is fine, but the auto on steep hills?? Also, I would suggest more frequent autobox oil changes as the auto oil will get hot.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:03   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

there are websites for towing weights etc, but I do know the 75 diesel auto's are great for towing, just depends on the trailer size. If its too big you are better off with a big 4x4.. Far better to have too much power available innit..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 14:07   #4
mikey_32
Loves to post

Yeah I do all my own servicing so box oil changes would be more frequent, or would I be better sticking with a manual, I know really the van is to heavy for the car but my budget will only allow around £5k so what else is there? It has to be good on fuel.

Mike
Old 5th October 2011, 14:31   #5
mikey_32
Loves to post

I sold my Rover for a 4x4 James, and I can't keep up with it's hunger for clutches, that's why I'm thinking of down sizing back to a 75
Old 5th October 2011, 17:02   #6
Andy K
Avid contributor

75 Saloon petrol 2.5

autos on other makes are good for towing.
Andy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 17:41   #7
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_32 View Post
Yeah I do all my own servicing so box oil changes would be more frequent, or would I be better sticking with a manual, I know really the van is to heavy for the car but my budget will only allow around £5k so what else is there? It has to be good on fuel.

Mike
How about one of these, plenty of grunt for the van, should do well on fuel long distance. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p Groover.
Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 17:50   #8
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

hmmmm i did a 400 mile round trip the other day with my horse box and 1 horse some good steep hills to crawl up start stop traffic and it didnt give me one bit of jip my auto also pulled it with ease and when i hit 50mph it went into lockup no problem.

never got hot but i have the oil cooler on the passinger side
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 19:23   #9
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

My first real towcar was a Shogun 3.0ltr petol Auto LWB, only ever got caught out with a cross wind once - hit the go pedal & went from 60 - 70 quicker that both my fingers can type almost forgot the van on the back
You could look at/for a Shogun/PJ auto diesel lots of toys, brill driving position, not too good on fuel economy but will pull a hill up a caravan

my 2d's

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 21:58   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_32 View Post
As some of you may remember but a couple of years ago I had an 02plate Club se Diesel estate and I still say it's the best car I've ever had, since then I've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe, a good car but nowhere near as refined as my Rover, anyway, a long story cut short, after just under 10k miles on a new clutch I have to replace the clutch yet again, (a common fault on this engine)
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting another 75/ZT-t but this time fancy an auto, I'll be asking the car to give everything that it's got as our caravan is 26" twin axle weighing in at 1600kgs, are the auto boxes good for towing this kind of weight when I only tow probably 1500/2000 miles per year?

Mike
The diesel engined car has a towing capacity of 1600kg,so if you're van weighs 1600kg empty,by the time you load up all your gear,you're going to be over the limit,it would'nt matter if you were going 10 miles,or 500 miles,you would be towing illegally with a 75.
You could always swap the hi and dry for a Freelander? same engine as the Rover/MG but higher towing capacity,or get a lighter caravan

Last edited by RPWC; 5th October 2011 at 22:00..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote