Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2022, 11:49   #191
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Even the respected Independent are commenting:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-b2012959.html

Another supposed benefit of the SM is that it would notify the dno of a power cut. Great when a local fault affecting a dozen or so properties occurs in a quite cul-de-sac, not so good when a storm rips through half of the country.

Perhaps they should be called a Satan Meter, rather than a smart meter.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 12:52   #192
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Another aspect of this fiasco comes to mind. Given the main attraction of actually paying less during 'off peak' periods, like night times, there is now a suggestion that if and when the power stations are at a low reserve that would be a good time to draw power back through smart meters. That, of course, is a rather fraught premise. Especially just when we are all charging our EV's. So, the big attraction of low cost night time charging is now something of a fairy tale. Putting it lightly of course.
Old 13th February 2022, 20:34   #193
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Another aspect of this fiasco comes to mind. Given the main attraction of actually paying less during 'off peak' periods, like night times, there is now a suggestion that if and when the power stations are at a low reserve that would be a good time to draw power back through smart meters. That, of course, is a rather fraught premise. Especially just when we are all charging our EV's. So, the big attraction of low cost night time charging is now something of a fairy tale. Putting it lightly of course.
Put a nice big diode in line so the leccy can only go in one direction.--- Into those batteries only.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2022, 15:28   #194
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I'm not sceptical enough to say it will never happen, but I do agree the solution is a long way off. I think the last experiment produced enough energy to boil around seventy kettles according to the talking heads in the media. I'd be much more impressed if I saw those kettles actually boiling after the experiment! The media were promising a vaccine against dental decay when I graduated in 1974. I considered abandoning dentistry after reading that article. Still hasn't happened though not to say it never will.
Same with re-growing teeth, which they done for mice (or was it rats) in the lab some ten years ago. Will be out in the wild in 10-20 years. Yeah?

Same with baldness. New hair growth done in the labs. Will be out in the wild in 10 years or so. Twenty years later still not mainstream.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 16:43   #195
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Have had a glance through the 20 pages of posts; lots of sound thoughts BUT!!
I dont think we have joined up thinking in the UK. Whist it has problems with waste disposal nuclear power is Green insofar as the emissions dont get pushed up a chimney (or shouldn't be) and radio activity isnt a problem for those who live close to the stations; is Leiston (near Sizewell) a hot spot of radi
oactivity related health problems. Why does it take YEARs to agree to build a new nuclear power plant? There were several designs (AGR etc) that were proven to be safe to operate. Germany still gets a lot of its electrical energy from coal, France being a quietly Communist country in the way its government acts, Australia is a massive polluter if one considers all the coal it exports to Asia as fuel for power plants etc. We put our "recyclables" into separate bins and then read about UK "recyclable" materials ending up polluting 3rd world countries. If its not going to be properly recycled why export it? Why not incinerate it here and use the energy to generate electricity? Not going to go On & ON & ON (but could!). Come the Revolution when I am Queen!
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 17:57   #196
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Have had a glance through the 20 pages of posts; lots of sound thoughts BUT!!
I dont think we have joined up thinking in the UK. Whist it has problems with waste disposal nuclear power is Green insofar as the emissions dont get pushed up a chimney (or shouldn't be) and radio activity isnt a problem for those who live close to the stations; is Leiston (near Sizewell) a hot spot of radi
oactivity related health problems. Why does it take YEARs to agree to build a new nuclear power plant? There were several designs (AGR etc) that were proven to be safe to operate. Germany still gets a lot of its electrical energy from coal, France being a quietly Communist country in the way its government acts, Australia is a massive polluter if one considers all the coal it exports to Asia as fuel for power plants etc. We put our "recyclables" into separate bins and then read about UK "recyclable" materials ending up polluting 3rd world countries. If its not going to be properly recycled why export it? Why not incinerate it here and use the energy to generate electricity? Not going to go On & ON & ON (but could!). Come the Revolution when I am Queen!
Posturing can win or keep you in power for years. You could in be in line for an "award". Just don't mention you couldn't give a stuff about the trials and tribulations of ordinary folk in the memoirs!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 13:36   #197
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Just had an email from my supplier, my bill is projeccted to go up by £1752.

But why are the standing charges going up as well? Gas up a little, electric nearly double.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 14:02   #198
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Some scary quotes out there & the prices are going up again in April. This is OVO's one & two year fixed quote.

Two year fixed plan

oneyear fixed plan

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 15:32   #199
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Shell's estimated 1 year rate
Your electricity rates will change from 20.680p to 28.455p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 24.11p to 43.39p.

Your gas rates will change from 4.169p to 7.479p per kWh and your standing charge per day will change from 26.11p to 27.22p.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2022, 16:50   #200
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

And whatever fuel prices are being quoted now, we must consider what they might/will rise to as a result of the Russian Ukraine events and Arab oil increases that will happen. If I was PM I would see this the opportune time to ditch a lot of the Green agenda. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote