Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd November 2019, 13:09   #21
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Oh for God's sake, just chill ... your lives are so short in the scheme of things. then your gone.
Don't worry about your children, they will screw up in their own sweet way.

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 13:32   #22
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

EV’s are no more than the latest fad to be favoured by those in control. It will last until another money spinner breaks out. With ever growing populations the usual pressures will trickle down while the Haves will continue to call the shots with scant real regard for environmental or social issues.

The public misinformation campaigns that surface from time to time will continue, so-called social media is the best thing ever invented for mass opinion management, and the general public will lap it up.

Note Dyson announced the transfer of his HQ to Singapore in January this year and last month further announced the winding up of his EV development plans – ahead of the curve once again. Any bets on the latest scientific marvels in the offing? Whatever anyone thinks of him they can’t deny his acumen. EV’s are a flash in the pan, no pun intended, and our own inventors are already on to the next development. All is not lost!

Our greatest future problems lie not in transport but in dependency on the growing levels of State support for those unable or unwilling to contribute.

Mentioned earlier was the subject of children. More children is not the problem, more children born to mothers with no means of adequate support is the problem. That problem is such because their fathers are transient and their haphazard population growth consequences mean their children grow up disadvantaged. They too become anti-social because they are led to believe it is society’s fault, not theirs. They have rights and so do the same as their absent and untraceable fathers - by a factor beyond measure.

How long before compulsory DNA testing in the style of the MMR campaign? Maybe it’s already being done – has anyone counted the number of spent needles? And where they go?
Old 2nd November 2019, 15:52   #23
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Scottish Power estimates that in order to achieve this, the UK needs to have 25 million charging points for electric vehicles - the equivalent of installing 4,000 a day - and 23 million electric heat pumps to replace domestic gas boilers.And all at a cost of nearly £300bn.

Just read this on the BBC News website. Sums it up a treat.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd November 2019, 15:54   #24
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

All I need now is some enhancement surgery and higher heels and I'll make a fortune. (Have to be careful though, Celia and the two sprogs are all Essex girls).
Old 2nd November 2019, 16:02   #25
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Scottish Power estimates that in order to achieve this, the UK needs to have 25 million charging points for electric vehicles - the equivalent of installing 4,000 a day - and 23 million electric heat pumps to replace domestic gas boilers.And all at a cost of nearly £300bn.

Just read this on the BBC News website. Sums it up a treat.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
And . . . I refuse to have a Smart Meter. The cost to you and I and Uncle Tom C. is around £9 billion. They're supposed to save each household - wait for it - the enormous sum of - £12 a year. Wow. And the first generation of Smart Meters are supposed to be no good anyway. Work that out.
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:01   #26
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
All of this has no bearing on climate change, the doom and gloom merchants do not like people pointing out that 10000 years ago, Scotland was a sub tropical paradise

Brian

Sorry but this is just not true. The last Ice Age reached its peak 12,000 ago and we are still in the warming period from this. Scotland was not a tropical paradise 10,000 years ago - I suspect it was so cold, the Mammoths felt chilly.

If you really want to wind up the members of the Climate Change Cult, just tell them we are still in an Ice Age and we will only have left it once both polar ice caps have melted. You could also mention that the CO2 levels were 5 times the current level when the dinosaurs were prospering and also mention the their is NO statistical correlation between CO2 levels and global temperature!

On the other hand, if we can reduce our consumption and make our own electricity, then why wouldn't we? I have insulated our house to the point where we have reduced our heating use by over two thirds, installed PV panels that produce more electricity than consume and have installed a Tesla battery to power the house when the Sun goes down.

We have also switch to an electric car and have so say it is vastly nicer than any other car I have ever driven. Brilliantly quiet, amazing acceleration (never need to worry about the poor in their diesels disguised as BMWs!).Also brilliant handling with the weight of all those batteries mounted low down. It has a range of around 240 miles and I can fully charge it at home for less than £8. This electricity is drawn at night when it is cheapest and it is cheap because their is so much spare capacity when everyone is in bed!

Recycling the batteries is a problem right now because their are so few to recycle! Once more are available, then the industry to recycle them will arise. This may however some way off as their are Telsas running around with over 400k miles on the original batteries and they may last for a million miles.

This brings me to the final advantage of the electric car - it could last for a very long time. Why can go wrong? No gear boxes, fuel injectors, valves, bits of metal flying up and down. Very bad news for car manufacturers.

Go electric!

Just to show I am not a closet XR member, our holiday travelling accounts of 14 flights a year but only 5 re long haul!
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:29   #27
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

My two-penneth (shows my age :¬)

1: Having driven a Tesla recently, my word they are FUN. I love the petrol engine as much as the next - my 3 vehicles total 168 years and two of them make glorious noises (while the 75 just purrs) but if I had to drive just one vehicle for the next ten years I'd pinch a Model 3 Performance.
2: Britain doesn't produce enough energy to meet its needs. North Sea Oil was never up to much (and we've sold the last extraction right to the Chinese). We don't have enough power stations (and they aren't owned by us) and we haven't invested enough in wind/wave/solar. That we have to import electricity via cables under the sea from Norway and France is ridiculous. We need to sort this out before things get critical. Fossil fuels will run out, maybe not tomorrow but one day.
3: We should be less dependent on personal travel. 100 years ago we didn't have 2 cars per house hold and we survived.

Finally. If we invested in future technologies we could actually get ahead of the curve for once. Gets my vote.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 19:16   #28
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
Sorry but this is just not true. The last Ice Age reached its peak 12,000 ago and we are still in the warming period from this. Scotland was not a tropical paradise 10,000 years ago - I suspect it was so cold, the Mammoths felt chilly.

If you really want to wind up the members of the Climate Change Cult, just tell them we are still in an Ice Age and we will only have left it once both polar ice caps have melted. You could also mention that the CO2 levels were 5 times the current level when the dinosaurs were prospering and also mention the their is NO statistical correlation between CO2 levels and global temperature!

On the other hand, if we can reduce our consumption and make our own electricity, then why wouldn't we? I have insulated our house to the point where we have reduced our heating use by over two thirds, installed PV panels that produce more electricity than consume and have installed a Tesla battery to power the house when the Sun goes down.

We have also switch to an electric car and have so say it is vastly nicer than any other car I have ever driven. Brilliantly quiet, amazing acceleration (never need to worry about the poor in their diesels disguised as BMWs!).Also brilliant handling with the weight of all those batteries mounted low down. It has a range of around 240 miles and I can fully charge it at home for less than £8. This electricity is drawn at night when it is cheapest and it is cheap because their is so much spare capacity when everyone is in bed!

Recycling the batteries is a problem right now because their are so few to recycle! Once more are available, then the industry to recycle them will arise. This may however some way off as their are Telsas running around with over 400k miles on the original batteries and they may last for a million miles.

This brings me to the final advantage of the electric car - it could last for a very long time. Why can go wrong? No gear boxes, fuel injectors, valves, bits of metal flying up and down. Very bad news for car manufacturers.

Go electric!

Just to show I am not a closet XR member, our holiday travelling accounts of 14 flights a year but only 5 re long haul!
So you are the one bringing this earth we live on to its inglorious end with all those flights. Tesla’s with over 400,000 miles? Where are they running? America?People who think that the e.v. will become the norm are living in cuckoo land..
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:27   #29
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Rick o'shea, you have saved me the task of checking all that information out and writing a very similar post (bar the bit about flights - I can't afford to fly that much, but would try to resist the temptation if I could. If I could fill my fuel tank with sunlight, I would do so, as effectively, this is what you are doing. As you say, lithium traction batteries are proving to be very long lived, the ev industry considers a lithium battery has reached the end of its automotive life when it only holds 80% of its original charge, and many a Prius with over 200,000 miles is still on its first battery.
At this stage, electricity companies are happy to use these "redundant" batteries to store off peak energy, to balance out the peaks and troughs of demand, while the battery recycling industry experiments with ways to maximise the percentage of materials retrieved, and maximise the efficiency of these operations, but to date, the quantities involved, rather like the manufacturing of EVs themselves, does not make this a low-cost operation, especially in comparison to the 5 X cheaper cost of mining lithium, and some of the other nasty materials involved. Perhaps if we applied our own health and safety regimes to the workers in these mines, and paid them a European wage, recycling would become a more cost-effective alternative. I wholly subscribe to Labour's eco-home building policy, a building technologist reckons that an average carbon-neutral home will cost around an extra £5,000 to build compared to a conventional one. That sounds like money well-spent to me, and if they could include an end-of-life EV battery in the specification, every home could provide a charge for its electric car, produced from sunlight and off-peak grid electricity. Admittedly, it would be more expensive to make our existing housing stock carbon-neutral, but solar panels and a storage battery with a charging point would be a good start - especially for those of us dependent on car transport. (2 buses a week in my village). All electricity has to be generated - why not use the free power supplied daily by the sun in various forms - solar, wind, hydro or tidal? Rather than continuing to release the carbon into our atmosphere that was trapped millions of years ago. It is not the fact of climate change that is the problem, it is the rate of it. Fake news is just the news you choose not to believe.

Last edited by Comfortably Numb; 2nd November 2019 at 23:03..
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:41   #30
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

EV, HEV or PHEV is the future wether we like it or not. Diesels are being phased out and manufacturers are moving to newer methods of propelling your car along. We are about a month into our new 2020 Hyundai IONIQ HEV and I’ve got to say I love it! We are away for the weekend and sitting at 69 mph using adaptive cruise control and the car happily in full EV mode was quite relaxing.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote