Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2019, 12:33   #1
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts
Default Suspension codes - Am I missing something?

Hi all.

Just doing some background stuff on my new 2001 diesel tourer.

The codes on the sticker under the back seat are:

Front RH: PS
Front LH: JS
RR Damper: H
RR: RG

According to Rimmers (https://rimmerbros.com/content--name...le-Information) the codes give:

Rover 75 Tourer Front:

PS: KV6 petrol RH Purple/Yellow
JS: KV6 petrol LH Purple/Yellow

Rover 75 MGZT...... Rear Spring

H: Rover 75 Tourer Non self levelling

Rover 75 MGZT...... Rear Damper

RG: Orange

So the rear end looks right but the front end doesn't match

According to the Rimmers info she should be wearing Purple/Brown springs (PT & PH) while the dampers are the same.

A quick search on autodoc (https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/.../15909-2-0-cdt) shows Purple Brown available from, amongst other, Suplex :

Part No 28145;
  • Length [mm]: 363
  • Thickness [mm]: 14,50
  • Diameter [mm]: 176
based on the "correct" REB000480 part number.

The KV6 OEM part Number of REB000470 gives:

Suplex part No. 28144
  • Length [mm]: 350
  • Thickness [mm]: 14,50
  • Diameter [mm]: 176
So it looks like the diesel ones are 13mm longer - to take the extra weight of the diesel

Not that I'm planning to change anything until they snap

Thoughts/comments etc.

Cheers.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 6th December 2019 at 12:38..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 22:35   #2
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

I had a problem like this with the wife’s saloon then again with my tourer three years later. The front springs for your car are the strongest made.
I hate this they are meant to sit higher than other springs. They are also meant to support the most weight.

Front springs come in many different lengths and range from 12mm round bar to 17mm round bar.
This sadly means nothing.
I ended up sending a new spring to a spring maker and gave them the weight over the front axel. And asked for a spring that would hold the car 25mm higher and be 30% updated on the sample.
I got them to make me 3 pairs I fitted the last pair to my tourer around Easter time. The ride is much improved and the car sits at a much more appropriate height.
I think getting special made springs may be the way forward as the last pair I bought from Rimmers did not even have colour coding on them. New springs are not what they used to be .
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 09:00   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Thanks Alan,

It's an area where I have limited knowledge and shall be looking for help as & when one of them snaps - which will, no doubt, happen at some point.

Finding out that the ones on the front of the car don't match the "correct" ones doesn't help .

Have a good one.

Cheers,

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 20:55   #4
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Thanks Alan,

It's an area where I have limited knowledge and shall be looking for help as & when one of them snaps - which will, no doubt, happen at some point.

Finding out that the ones on the front of the car don't match the "correct" ones doesn't help .

Have a good one.

Cheers,

Andy.

I was talking to my coil spring man last week, about something non Rover related and was quizzing him about the front springs on the Diesel tourers vs the KV6.
He told me that the length of the spring and the diameter are only two of the factors. The length of the steel bar making up the spring before it is wound into the coil, also the amount of twist of the bar. Apparently the standard KV6 spring has a greater number of twists of the round bar. This I am told affects the deflection of the spring under load, ie the KV6 spring will sit slightly higher under static load, Than the diesel spring.
He stated that you can’t buy diesel springs to OEM any more as they are all aftermarket as the cars produced since 2005 were all petrol models.
This would explains why the last person I helped fit a pair of front springs that he got from Rimmers had no colour coding on them.
Alan

Old 21st February 2020, 06:54   #5
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Red face

Sorry to possibly hijack the thread.

I have seen a diesel saloon with 2 broken rear springs (including one spring with two breaks in it) and now a front broken spring.
And a diesel tourer with a broken front spring that has ripped the tyre wall (luckily at ~ 20mph).

So the subject of springs breaking really worries me, especially at speed, on a SMART motorway, or similar fast road.

Does a '52 plate tourer have the spring protectors fitted ?

Is there anything that can be done in the way of preventative maintenance to minimise springs snapping, e.g oiling, waterproof greasing etc ?

I consider a spring breaking to be an important safety issue, that is not being addressed. Shredding a tyre wall at high speed could kill somebody.

Should any recommendation be a sticky ?

Last edited by MarkS; 21st February 2020 at 07:09..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 13:31   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Does a '52 plate tourer have the spring protectors fitted?
They were never a factory-fitted item. They were fitted under recalls (for Rover 75 only) or owners fitted them as DIY. ALL 75/ZTs should have them as an insurance against tyre damage.

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done in the way of preventative maintenance to minimise springs snapping, e.g oiling, waterproof greasing etc?
I doubt there's much anyone can do to prevent spring fracture. Keep it in the garage during the winter is the best preventive statistically. This is from an AA survey several years ago.

Quote:
I consider a spring breaking to be an important safety issue, that is not being addressed.

It was addressed by two recalls. Many owners didn't take it up. So, you'll have to fit them yourself, it's very easy.

Recall Notice: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wkash1...tions.pdf/file

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 23:39   #7
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Re springs breaking: You can still buy spring protectors that bolt on to the strut which prevent or reduce the risk of tyre damage.
I remember back in the old days when both leaf and coil springs were wrapped up in leather boots, usually packed in grease.
Purchasing a good set of springs will help reduce the chance of breakage, further to that consideration should be given to replacing springs say every five years or 75,000 miles.
I remember going to look at a car for a friend which had 150,000 miles on it but was quite young. The salesman made a big deal of how modern engines lasted much longer than this. I explained that my concern was not for the engine, but the number of times the suspension had gone up and down wearing every part.
Nothing lasts for ever.
Alan

Old 23rd February 2020, 07:41   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Sorry to possibly hijack the thread.

I have seen a diesel saloon with 2 broken rear springs (including one spring with two breaks in it) and now a front broken spring.
And a diesel tourer with a broken front spring that has ripped the tyre wall (luckily at ~ 20mph).

So the subject of springs breaking really worries me, especially at speed, on a SMART motorway, or similar fast road.

Does a '52 plate tourer have the spring protectors fitted ?

Is there anything that can be done in the way of preventative maintenance to minimise springs snapping, e.g oiling, waterproof greasing etc ?

I consider a spring breaking to be an important safety issue, that is not being addressed. Shredding a tyre wall at high speed could kill somebody.

Should any recommendation be a sticky ?
are new springs less likely to snap in the next few years, is less likely and you are worried would fitting new springs now put your mind at rest?

If a rear spring snaps you may not even know it if you are not there when it happens.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:20   #9
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
They were never a factory-fitted item. They were fitted under recalls (for Rover 75 only) or owners fitted them as DIY. ALL 75/ZTs should have them as an insurance against tyre damage.

It was addressed by two recalls. Many owners didn't take it up. So, you'll have to fit them yourself, it's very easy.

Recall Notice: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wkash1...tions.pdf/file

TC
1) I read that the recall notice covers a specified range of VIN numbers; the car that had 3/4 failures was not in that recall range. So there is possibly a much bigger problem out there than the recall notice addresses.

2) Moderator: Can we PLEASE have a sticky that COVERS the fact that there HAS been a recall, that SOME cars may not have had the recall implemented, that forum members are recommended to check that the recall has been implemented, a recommendation that the recall be IMPLEMENTED on ALL cars, the part number of the recall part, and that the estimated cost is ~ £29 + 0.6 hours labour.

Is there anybody who supports this sticky ? If so, please say 'AYE'.

Last edited by MarkS; 23rd February 2020 at 08:31..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote