Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2014, 13:25   #1
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Default (another) Weird Highline issue

Put the highline back into my car (it had an android DD unit fitted).

Once I had properly figured out (with help from folk on here) where everything went, the radio etc fired up fine, and as an added bonus, I had sound from all four doors. The driver's door never had sound when the 'droid unit was in - although we know the unit was OK.

About 25 mins along my first drive, the unit lost all sound. It appeared to be working OK, displays were fine, the tuning worked etc. Apart from very occasional bursts (and only two or three) of sound on the way home, it remained dead.

At home, after a "rest" it worked ok - but opening the driver's door seems to upset it - for a while I could get it to cut out consistently (total audio loss) by opening the driver's door beyond a certain point. Now it's started working again.

I can't see anything in the drivers door wiring that would obviously cause this - anyone got any bright ideas what could be causing it? I have checked all the wiring in the boot (twice).
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 16:04   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

If it's all speakers cutting out, then I'd look at the speaker wiring in that door, it must be shorting to earth intermittently, that would cause the amplifier chip (in the radio module) to shut down in self-protection against the short.

Remove door card and speaker and with everything off (disconnect battery, remembering to shut down nav drive first). connect a multimeter set to ohms across the speaker wires now open and close the doors: I'm guessing that you'll see the ohms drop to zero at one point. (having removed the speaker and disturbed the wires you may have to wiggle them around a bit.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 16:13   #3
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Good point - that would explain the lack of sound in that door - maybe the other head unit can shut down channels selectively
Old 10th November 2014, 21:07   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

The standard Rover radio unit has a single (stereo) amplifier chip, one of the TDA range iirc, and that will have short circuit protection. The other head unit probably had some other arrangement. I'm not saying that it's a guaranteed thing, but all evidence given points to a problem with the speaker wiring in or close to the door.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 10th November 2014, 22:04   #5
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

OK, trying to second guess this issue, I found an ISO - ISO loom I had lying around from another project - all wires straight through.

So I reasoned that if I placed that in line, (having snipped front right entirely +ve and -ve) that would isolate the front drivers door and allow the rest to work OK.

Unfortunately, that theory didn't work out, as the unit booted up fine but still refused to issue any sound at all.

Is my logic right - the (speaker bit) of the ISO socket behind the ashtray brings the speaker connections "back" from the unit in the boot? Then the Speaker ISO plug takes the speaker connections the final bit to each door. I assume that's how it's possible to connect direct to the speakers by plugging the Speaker ISO into the back of a standard head unit?

After reconnecting the snipped wires (from my spare straight through loom) and plugging the ISOs into a known good head unit, the driver's door speakers were still dead - but I can't help thinking I am missing a trick somewhere here.

Last edited by Ps3000; 10th November 2014 at 22:22..
Old 11th November 2014, 00:00   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

I'm not 100% certain but I think the loom from front to back branches off the wiring for the speakers. This means you can connect and amp output at either end of the loom. Does that make sense? I think the only way to make certain is to find a connector between the main ICE loom and the door loom and disconnect it there. I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams tomorrow evening if you're still having problems.

P.S the wiring diagram shows the speakers connecting to the 16 pin (round pin) connector in the centre console. Connectors 2 and 11 looks like blue and purple for the front Right, the only other connector shown is the one at the door pillar.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:

Last edited by Avulon; 11th November 2014 at 00:16..
Old 11th November 2014, 12:26   #7
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

I don't have the BMW round pin connector in the dash - I understand that this is because I have a later car and it is replaced on later cars by a pair of ISO plugs/sockets.

This morning I had a brainwave (of sorts). I removed the speaker ISO plug - this meant that power was being sent to the unit in the boot, but in theory, I'd disconnected the speaker return.

After doing this, the front right speaker worked, but none of the others did. This was odd - but it led me to wonder if it has something to do with the sat nav - I assume that nav announcements are made, even if the CD/Radio/Tape unit has been turned off (little orange light out). Maybe the sat directions only come from the RHF - it would make sense - unfortunately I've never had the unit working properly so can't be sure.

I drove for about 15 mins, during which, any left turn made the radio cut out - returning the wheel to straight ahead brought back the sound for a while - then it packed up entirely.

Upon getting back, I snipped the speaker wires to the right front in the boot and secured them away insulated - the logic was that if the issue relates to RHF, I could plug the ISO speaker plug back in and at least have 3 working channels. However, I still got no output. I have come to the conclusion that there is too much wrong here for me to try to solve - especially since I plan to revert to a Navall or similar unit soon.

I've removed the Highline unit and replaced it with an old Single Din Grundig unit I've had for ages - and that does work on three channels at least.

Thanks for the help - at some point I will need to revisit the driver's door wiring.

Last edited by Ps3000; 11th November 2014 at 12:29..
Old 11th November 2014, 12:31   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but as you say there does appear to be something more going on that just a single fault could account for. I have assumed (maybe foolishly) that everything in the boot and spare wheel well is perfectly dry: any moisture in there can cause all sorts of problems. For what it's worth the nav guidance voice comes out on both sides and must be switched by the radio - it mutes the other sounds when it speaks: and yes, it does work without the radio on. I wonder if it might be worth trying another radio unit? If you'll be available over the weekend PM me a phone number as I *might* be passing at some point, I can stick a spare in the car just in case, and give you call to see if you are available.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:

Last edited by Avulon; 11th November 2014 at 12:34..
Old 11th November 2014, 20:49   #9
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Thanks Avulon that's really above and beyond, I'm not around this weekend -

I've removed the unit for now and put my temporary Grundig in, pending a decision on the longer term future of my Android Navall - it may be getting traded in, repaired or flogged - haven't decided yet. Using the ISO connectors allows audio from the other three doors, but not drivers.

The units under the boot floor are bone dry and the connectors look fine.

I am 99% sure this has to be a wiring fault.

Apparently the whole interior was stripped out to do the sunroof drain tubes at the supplying dealer a while back - so something may have been disturbed/damaged/broken at that point.

Thanks for the info. on the nav.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:03   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

No worries, if you do find that you want to try a different radio module, just PM me and we can work something out.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: