Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2015, 17:14   #1
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Default High line sat nav

So a few days ago I fitted a working MKIII GPS set up on to my retro fitted high line, on switch on it soon found out where the car was after initially showing where is was before disconnection (doon south) so obviously that bits working but the direction icon is saying the car is pointing south on the map when it is actually pointing near enough North, so 180 degrees out, also although it knows where it is when I move the car it does not move on the map,
Also on Initial switch on it showed the trip meter on the monitor screen now this has disappeared any thoughts?
I assume it's a case of tweaking the system
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 18:06   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Have you confirmed that it's picking up any satellites? Until it does it won't really show any movement at all. You may have to drive it a bit to get it used to which way is forward as well. Does the red led light up when the ignition is on? and go out again a few minutes after ignition off (you'll need to leave the boot open and not disturb any doors or anything else otherwise it'll abort the shutdown. Make sure the kbus line to the unit is good as it also uses the speed reading to know if the car is moving forwards or backwards and at what speed.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 19:40   #3
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

The LED lights up and you can hear the whirring of other bits in the boot as well, as you say if I let it stand for a minute or so the LED goes out and the noise stops, I assume it's picking up satellites as the position moved from where it was dismantled to my street on the map, I'll give the car a run tomorrow and see what happens, as it is, I'm going to Trikeys meet in the afternoon
Old 4th April 2015, 20:10   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Yes, after writing that I thought about it picking up the new location, so GPS must be working. So see if it moves position as you are driving. If it doesn't it means it's not picking up the fact that the car is moving - i.e no kbus connection to register vehicle speed. Without that it may only get a GPS fix every few minutes (or even less frequent). Remember that the mk3 uses the GPS only for a general location (it's not as accurate as the modern GPS) and it uses dead reckoning (speed from the wheels, and a built in gyro compass) along with the map to make the location accurate. If it doesn't know that it's moving it might not update the position.

I've got one unit with a gyro fault that keeps insisting on a U turn due to the gyro pointing the wrong way. The next second it has me 100 meters into a field by the side of the road I'm on!

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 5th April 2015, 13:15   #5
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Yes, after writing that I thought about it picking up the new location, so GPS must be working. So see if it moves position as you are driving. If it doesn't it means it's not picking up the fact that the car is moving - i.e no kbus connection to register vehicle speed. Without that it may only get a GPS fix every few minutes (or even less frequent). Remember that the mk3 uses the GPS only for a general location (it's not as accurate as the modern GPS) and it uses dead reckoning (speed from the wheels, and a built in gyro compass) along with the map to make the location accurate. If it doesn't know that it's moving it might not update the position.

I've got one unit with a gyro fault that keeps insisting on a U turn due to the gyro pointing the wrong way. The next second it has me 100 meters into a field by the side of the road I'm on!
It has a piezo sensor that tracks the jaw of the car to track it against a route when turning
(Unless MG has limited the function of the BMW unit)

The only way the satnav know which way the car is going is by driving it.
It only uses the piezo sensor to be more accurate once on the move.
You can check this sensor in the satnav menu along with other things

It needs some satellites to triangulate the position and from thereon it should be fine.
Also the map can be set to either always show up as north or as up as the direction the car is going. The latteronly works if the zoom is set to 900 yards or less.

This may actually help, an explanation of the BMW MKIII operation.
markiiinav.pdf

Last edited by VMax1000; 5th April 2015 at 13:27..
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 15:39   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

VMax is quite right it's a yaw sensor, not a gyro. The one in mine just thinks the car is continually turning - just very slowly, may be a faulty sensor or power supply to the sensor. I might get around to fixing it one of these days. (the bmw mk3 in the car works perfectly).

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 5th April 2015, 19:56   #7
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the pointers and information, I printed off the downloaded document for a read and will have a tinker tomorrow, fingers crossed

Roy
Old 7th April 2015, 16:25   #8
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

Well after I took out the monitor and controls for a better look I found a male and female connector branching off the loom but not connected clipping them together and going for a drive shows that the sat-nav now knows which way the car is pointing and also where I am on the map as I travel along, I like the way that the nice Lady giving directions mutes the radio so I don't have to try and hear one over the other
I noticed that the connector has three wires on one side but only two on the other, what is the spare wire for (just out of interest)

So thanks for the advice and help on here