Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2020, 05:59   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default Picking up new car today

Morning, I sold my 75 last year and have been working and now driving about in our mg tf since. I must say I enjoy working on them and the process of sourcing parts on line. We have an estate car as the main car, the tf is a hobby car. I’m going ott replacing parts, both subframes are being renewed, got a new back one fully painted and ready to be put in shortly.

Been a bit under the weather this last week with a strep throat, only able to swallow liquid food, I’ve been busy buying other bits, got a full clutch posted for little money. Well yesterday I excelled myself, just after putting my Honda 250 up for sale, I spot a tf 160 just up for sale. Long story, I’m picking it up today. So will have two side by side in the garage. I’ll do the same to the new one and make it A1, a 135 would be my choice as is the first one, I got a 160 because they are the more collectible ones. I see trophy cars are advertising presumably done up ones for silly money.

Our kids are shaking their heads but we don’t care.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 08:27   #2
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I do like a TF
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 11:39   #3
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Trophy cars tend to have original low mileage ones for sale, with long guarantees. Yes, they are expensive, but you generally only get what you pay for.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 15:27   #4
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, just had a 5 hr return trip for nothing. The car was a mess, so just walked away. I realise what a nice one I've already got.
Old 18th July 2020, 15:32   #5
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I think because it's easy to become over critical of the shortcomings on our own cars it can be a little shocking what 'non enthusiasts' consider to be good condition.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2020, 16:13   #6
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, just had a 5 hr return trip for nothing. The car was a mess, so just walked away. I realise what a nice one I've already got.
A lot of us have done that, I spent the best part of a day on public transport to collect a car that was advertised as immaculate and the pictures I was sent made it look as good as described. Once in front of me I was shocked, no mention of the dents and scratches, an engine that sounded like it was full of spanners and the interior reeked of smoke and damp, the seller had even told me he had never smoked in the car. He would not even give me a lift back to the railways station and swore at me as I walked away.

Luckily I managed to find another one only a week or so later and this was less than half an hour from my house. The seller even offered to deliver it for me the next day to save me taxing it until the end of the month.

From that I learnt never to by a car unless I have stood in front of it first even if it is a long way from me.

As my dad used to say not many people sell a car for no reason, you just need to find the real reason.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2020, 09:54   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Will get one eventually, most of them are down south. The majority have spent their lives outside and suffered heavy underneath corrosion. A one that has been garaged and then had a clutch issue would suit me fine, even a head gasket. I'll keep looking.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:22   #8
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

I bought mine from photos & the phone, London to Devon by train, a night on the coast then drove her back to London. I guess l struck lucky.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2020, 11:56   #9
port30
Regular poster

Rover 75

I was very lucky found one on this site!
Big write up on car and photos of work carried out.
Train from Plymouth.Plane from Exeter to Glasgow.Overnight in small Scottish village in the seller's house(lovely bloke/enthusiast).picked car up.drove back to Cornwall via Middlesbrough.
What a pleasure to drive.Lives in my garage now.Comes out at weekends.
port30 is offline   Reply With Quote