Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2019, 04:58   #1
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Default rover 75 tourer 1.8T

i hope i am in the right place thats the first thing!

I have a Rover 75 Tourer 1,8T. I replaced the cylinder head on it.
I have a problem of coolant being forced out of the header tank mostly when i put my foot down. The water pump works as it should faster you rev the quicker the coolant pumps. i used some radiator flush which made the heater work even better than it was in fact alot warmer. There is no sign of discoloured oil at all and not one bead of moidture/condensation under the oil cap. i even tested the coolant with that bromothymol blue test kit three times and it never turned to from blue to yellow any time.

Can anyone help me out? Have i a semi blockage in the coolant system? is it the radiator. i am baffled!!!
spencer burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 06:51   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I should say, Welcome to the forum and the Club, let's hope that you find the solution here.

The first thing I would ask is are you overfilling the coolant? not intending to teach you to suck eggs as you obviously are more than capable with the work already carried out. That fill mark is very low down in the expansion tank. There is a mark on the outside of the tank, but I always find that harder to define.

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 18:09   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer burrows View Post
The water pump works as it should faster you rev the quicker the coolant pumps

Interesting observation, how did you check the pumping speed?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 20:14   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like an airlock.
Old 16th April 2019, 04:54   #5
dekhelia
Regular poster

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer burrows View Post
iThe water pump works as it should faster you rev the quicker the coolant pumps.

This is normal, of course: the water pump is driven by the cambelt, so you'd expect its speed to be related to engine speed.

As someone else said, could be an airlock. How did you bleed the system after you'd put it all back together? There is a bleed nipple on the large pipe that runs atop the gearbox, 8mm nut if I remember right.

There is also the possibility that you have a leak somewhere - do you have to keep topping up?
dekhelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 11:36   #6
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC

when coldish i bleed the system by taking top off header tank and revving and observe speed of coolant. is this okay to do? i have to top up when it throws out the coolant. defo see coolant bubbling out of header cap only after higher revs. then i have to top up. i is not huge amounts and i am not over filling as the line is clear to see in the bottom of header tank.

Last edited by spencer burrows; 16th April 2019 at 11:41..
Old 16th April 2019, 11:39   #7
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekhelia View Post
This is normal, of course: the water pump is driven by the cambelt, so you'd expect its speed to be related to engine speed.

As someone else said, could be an airlock. How did you bleed the system after you'd put it all back together? There is a bleed nipple on the large pipe that runs atop the gearbox, 8mm nut if I remember right.

There is also the possibility that you have a leak somewhere - do you have to keep topping up?
when coldish i bleed the system by taking top off header tank and revving and observe speed of coolant. is this okay to do? i have to top up when it throws out the coolant. defo see coolant bubbling out of header cap only after higher revs. then i have to top up. i is not huge amounts and i am not over filling as the line is clear to see in the bottom of header tank.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:40   #8
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I should say, Welcome to the forum and the Club, let's hope that you find the solution here.

The first thing I would ask is are you overfilling the coolant? not intending to teach you to suck eggs as you obviously are more than capable with the work already carried out. That fill mark is very low down in the expansion tank. There is a mark on the outside of the tank, but I always find that harder to define.

Good luck.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:42   #9
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
Old 16th April 2019, 12:12   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I would suggest that whilst running the engine, once the heated water rises to the neck of the filler put the cap on, switch off the engine, allow to cool then check the level.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote