Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2020, 22:54   #11
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blower 4.6 View Post
Thanks for the replies,but having recieved samples as pointed out in my original post they are nowhere near a match,I really would like them to blend in, only option now is to recover the A B and C posts....more work!.
Sorry, I missed you'd tried Martrim already. If you need to do the pillars as well as the headlining then how about a change of colour? All-black would look sweet with the ZT interior
Old 9th February 2020, 23:36   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
The match I got from Martrim was perfect when I read trimmed my Zircon.

I actually ordered too much and have sufficient to do a saloon if you’re interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post

Quote:
Thanks for the replies,but having received samples as pointed out in my original post they are nowhere near a match,I really would like them to blend in, only option now is to recover the A B and C posts....more work!.
Hmm, so how come they managed to supply a perfect match for Jim, and if it is a perfect match, (and knowing how picky Jim is when it comes to this sort of thing.. it will be) and as he has sufficient to cover a saloon headlining, why haven't you jumped at the chance to buy the fabric he has left?

Or as an alternative, why not send Martrim a section of fabric from your car, I'm sure they will be able to come up with a match from that I would have thought........I've used them in the past for R8 headlining material, and found them to be not only helpful, but also supplied a perfect match to what was required to do the job.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 18:37   #13
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Funny how different cars are, my cars 18 years old and no roof sagging yet? i wonder if you use them alot it helps as my Rover 75 is run off the planet with miles and miles per week, or is it stationary barely used cars roof sags that go?? there is the question?

heavy use or no use or is it just pot luck?? but i find that hard to believe at the same factory fitting centre.
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 19:59   #14
Blower 4.6
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Funny how different cars are, my cars 18 years old and no roof sagging yet? i wonder if you use them alot it helps as my Rover 75 is run off the planet with miles and miles per week, or is it stationary barely used cars roof sags that go?? there is the question?

heavy use or no use or is it just pot luck?? but i find that hard to believe at the same factory fitting centre.

The car in question is the Xpower 500,roof liner could well be 20 years old,with regards to it's movements it sat in the MGOC showroom for circa 11 years with minimal mileage,when I got it it had 2182 miles on the clock and is at present showing just over 3k.With regards to matching at Martims,I sent a piece of the original material that had "sagged" and by return of post got 4 samples back,suffuice to say that non matched.To get a fully sorted interior now it looks like a full liner trim may be the only option.
Blower 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 20:04   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
The car in question is the Xpower 500,roof liner could well be 20 years old,with regards to it's movements it sat in the MGOC showroom for circa 11 years with minimal mileage,when I got it it had 2182 miles on the clock and is at present showing just over 3k.With regards to matching at Martims,I sent a piece of the original material that had "sagged" and by return of post got 4 samples back,suffuice to say that non matched.To get a fully sorted interior now it looks like a full liner trim may be the only option.
Why not simply get a secondhand headlining? there must be plenty of saloons kicking about with a decent one fitted.

Just a thought
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 20:11   #16
Blower 4.6
Regular poster

MG ZT V8 Supercharged

As far as I am aware,its a reaction with the adhesive and the foam backing that deteriates over a period of time, that causes it to basically let go and seperate from the rigid liner that its adhered to..hence the sagging.
Blower 4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 00:42   #17
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

It’s the foam which degenerates over the years and I think it may depend on whether the car is sits in high temperatures. My Zircon 75 which I re trimmed spent it’s entire life on the south coast whereas my Wedgwood 75 the headliner was still perfect.

As regards the colour I think the colour was a shade darker in the Zircon as it had blue personal line seating.

It’s not only Rovers which suffer from this fate as I’ve read lots of posts on the Jaguar forums with the same headliner problem.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 04:53   #18
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Are you not suffering with the door cards delaminating as well? Mine all started around the same time so it might not be long before you need a full retrim anyway. Regarding the match, could the original have faded a bit over the 20 years?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 07:44   #19
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:

It’s not only Rovers which suffer from this fate as I’ve read lots of posts on the Jaguar forums with the same headliner problem.
A lot of cars suffer with it not just UK made cars, I was looking over a BMW Estate recently for a friend with the same problem. A new headliner from BMW was nearly a grand.

It is odd that some cars suffer more than others, maybe it is just the way they were made or how much glue was applied?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 10:56   #20
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
It’s the foam which degenerates over the years and I think it may depend on whether the car is sits in high temperatures. My Zircon 75 which I re trimmed spent it’s entire life on the south coast whereas my Wedgwood 75 the headliner was still perfect.

As regards the colour I think the colour was a shade darker in the Zircon as it had blue personal line seating.

I think theres some truth in that! about higher temps, my Rover 75 could go in the garage and get locked away however due to high usage i tend to leave it on the drive, so always out in the cold ( blighty) and the roof on my 2002 model is mint no sagging and no blobbing either. However my sons Mark 3 rover 45 ( last of the newest shapes) of the R45 model has a very late built car April 2005 05 car ( all the engine have stickers on it showing built period) so its was one of the last to get out the factory to showrooms, and his roof lining is sagging yet 3 years newer than mine on a 02 reg Rover R75.

Strangely he garages his and the garage is a lot warmer, plus he likes his car heating on Brazilian style ! where i always have a 1 inch gap in my windows for air flow and heating on luke warm i prefer it that way. I like my temp on F, so normally around 40F WHEN HEATING IS ON. I wonder if heating is the killer of the roof lining, though heating, sunlight and no airflow?
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote