Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2020, 16:36   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

omg my wife heard me on the phone asking about a socket set, only a day or two ago I told her I had 7 sets. Letting her hear me asking about an 8th was not a smart move. I had gotten her a bunch of red roses and a Cadburys Cream egg so I took those to her and she is all happy again

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 17:11   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
omg my wife heard me on the phone asking about a socket set, only a day or two ago I told her I had 7 sets.
Just tell here they are in imperial and metric and for different jobs and sizes? Imperial and metric in standard and impact is 4 sets and they you have 1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 drive you have all things covered.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 19:42   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Just tell here they are in imperial and metric and for different jobs and sizes? Imperial and metric in standard and impact is 4 sets and they you have 1/4 , 3/8 and 1/2 drive you have all things covered.
you forgot about the 3/4" and 1", of course you will need a new 1" impact wrench too You have to love the ring to attach to a back brace for using it!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 20:15   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
An impact gun is better than a scaffold pole, it gives multiple hits per second so shocks the nut or bolt loose.

Saying that if you are trying to undo something that has some ''give'' an impact does not work well as the shocks are taken out by the ''give'' so the constant pressure of a scaffold pole works better.

One of the biggest benefits to me is the access. You can get an impact gun especially a battery powered version into a space a lot easier than a socket, extension and scaffold pole.
I have 2 aluminium scaffold poles. Do the job just as well and are very easy to handle or make shorter as you wish.

Last edited by COLVERT; 14th February 2020 at 22:45..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2020, 20:17   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
omg my wife heard me on the phone asking about a socket set, only a day or two ago I told her I had 7 sets. Letting her hear me asking about an 8th was not a smart move. I had gotten her a bunch of red roses and a Cadburys Cream egg so I took those to her and she is all happy again

macafee2
You don't have to buy a set. They can be purchased one at a time in the size you require.---
Old 14th February 2020, 20:44   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You don't have to buy a set. They can be purchased one at a time in the size you require.---
probably cheaper to get a set and tidier to get a set but not found a set as "comprehensive" as my ordinary socket set at a price I like.
I could end up getting a set and then as you say, individual ones for the "missing" sizes.

macafee2
Old 15th February 2020, 19:44   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Lidles are doing some air operated impact guns at the moment. Whether they are powerful enough or not I'm not sure.

They run at 6 bar. with 4 different settings.

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th February 2020 at 20:32..
Old 15th February 2020, 20:09   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Lidles are doing some air operated impact guns at the moment. Where they are powerful or not I'm not sure.

They run at 6 bar. with 4 different settings.
I have a Lidl one. It is only let down by my tiny compressor. But it is adequate. I had an issue with my rear suspension strut removal. The Lidl electric one though handled it with ease though - when the compressor became asthmatic.

The Lidl air one is the same as many other far east made rebranded air wrenches. eg Clarke, Draper, SIP and even SGS. I believe even the Lidl electric 1/2" version is also a rebranded far east made version that Clarke and Sealey also 'brand' (not manufacture, but brand)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 20:14   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I had a lidl one and found in to be useless so sold it. A second reason for selling is my main compressor is 270L with two 3hp motors, to run up the compressor to undo one or two nuts did not make sense. Reason I did not go for battery, lack of use and so I came to the conclusion for home use, for me, mains powered was better.

macafee2
Old 15th February 2020, 20:16   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have a Lidl one. It is only let down by my tiny compressor. But it is adequate. I had an issue with my rear suspension strut removal. The Lidl electric one though handled it with ease though - when the compressor became asthmatic.

The Lidl air one is the same as many other far east made rebranded air wrenches. eg Clarke, Draper, SIP and even SGS. I believe even the Lidl electric 1/2" version is also a rebranded far east made version that Clarke and Sealey also 'brand' (not manufacture, but brand)
I'd also comment that the lidl and sealey air wrenches and perhaps the other wont fit in their carry case with the oiler and air line adaptor fitted.
NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- that!

macafee2