Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2015, 17:47   #1
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool Dado Rail

Ok there must be someone out there that can hopefully give me some advice i have to cut out a 30mm wide section,the rail runs half way between floor and ceiling around my uncles lounge so got to be pretty spot on,any ideas please.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 17:57   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
Ok there must be someone out there that can hopefully give me some advice i have to cut out a 30mm wide section,the rail runs half way between floor and ceiling around my uncles lounge so got to be pretty spot on,any ideas please.
I understand what you want to do, but cannot understand why you might need to do it? Maybe the need could be circumvented?

30mm a bit over an inch wide. To make it look decent, without disturbing the entire length, you will need to be gentle with the cutting. Something like an angle grinder with a cutting disk, but used very gently, or one of those bim drills with a cutting disk.

Is it old, fixed with plugs and nails intermittently, or maybe more modern fixed with No-More-Nails, stuck along its entire length. The later will be less likely to move, once it is cut.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:29   #3
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

You need a multi tool.

Easy peasy.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:35   #4
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
You need a multi tool.

Easy peasy.
And you need to find out where all the services are routed too. Otherwise you will also be needing a long box (wooden), a spade and a big black car. Someone else will be supplying the sandwiches.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:55   #5
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Its modern dado and the idea is to allow trunking through it and then i have to cut it minus the thickness of the trunking and use filler to hide the edges when i put it back and then repaint the whole lengh so yes if not right my uncle might bury me somewhere so any ideas greatly welcomed.rich what type of multi tool i have a dremel....

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 19:08   #6
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Something like this,

rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 21:40   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
Its modern dado and the idea is to allow trunking through it and then i have to cut it minus the thickness of the trunking and use filler to hide the edges when i put it back and then repaint the whole lengh so yes if not right my uncle might bury me somewhere so any ideas greatly welcomed.rich what type of multi tool i have a dremel....
A Dremel with a cutting disk should do it. You will not be able to get a saw in, even if you could, likely it will rip it beyond where you need it.

Make a series of vertical cuts through the rail, to avoid trapping the blade and take your time.

If you do find the rail springs away from the wall, have some No-More-Nails to hand, squirt it between wall and rail, then have something handy to sprag it back to the wall with, until it sets. Worst case is, that you might need to drill the wall and screw it is back.

I guess the trunking is for cables to a wall-mounted flat screen?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 8th February 2015, 09:14   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what about this? could be the same thing rich is referring to
http://www.diy.com/departments/bosch...150208101247:s

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 09:24   #9
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Baffled...

Has nobody ever heard of chisels these days, drill a hole at either end of the marked out part and cut out the centre with a chisel. You could nip it to a joiners shop and let them do it, they would likely use a morticer.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 12:45   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Has nobody ever heard of chisels these days, drill a hole at either end of the marked out part and cut out the centre with a chisel. You could nip it to a joiners shop and let them do it, they would likely use a morticer.
Simply because a Dremel or angle grinder, with a thin blade will make for a clean cut with less risk of splitting the wood.

Taking a dado to a shop for cutting will make for a very major job and a lot of effort to patch up after wards - its stuck to the wall, with I assume finished decoration.