Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2016, 19:07   #31
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Not quite - the DVSA guidance is that “You can take your vehicle away to have the failed defects repaired if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

if you fail you can drive your car for repairs/re-test - if you test early and fail - it can't invalidate the prior in-date certificate - so your free to drive your car until this certificate expires - if your car is not fit for the road and you drive the car you "could" be prosecuted if caught - this is another matter however and is the case for any vehicle.

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:12   #32
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

[QUOTE=Nobby;2390598]Not quite - the DVSA guidance is that “You can take your vehicle away to have the failed defects repaired if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

However if you do drive your car in the belief that its ok cos the original Mot certificate is still valid is wrong as the vehicle is technically unroadworthy as it has failed to meet the minimum standards. /QUOTE]

The vehicle may be un-roadworthy, but it has no effect on a current test certificate which will still be valid.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:28   #33
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

As Ray says, nobody can rescind an mot certificate other than DVSA. If you have 6 months mot and put it in for a test and it fails you still have 6 months mot! The vehicle may show up on APR as no mot but your certificate is still valid when produced. You will however be driving a vehicle with a known defect which is nothing to do with the mot. As far as the tester is concerned they have no authority over your car, the worst they can do is add 'dangerous' to the certificate!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 19:53   #34
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Do mot stations have the authority to rescind a valid mot. Just for argument's sake you take your car in for an mot 7 months after its last one and the tester discovers it's in a lethal condition and is dam right dangerous to drive. Does he have the powers to cancel the existing mot there and then.
Old 1st November 2016, 20:05   #35
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
As Ray says, nobody can rescind an mot certificate other than DVSA. If you have 6 months mot and put it in for a test and it fails you still have 6 months mot! The vehicle may show up on APR as no mot but your certificate is still valid when produced. You will however be driving a vehicle with a known defect which is nothing to do with the mot. As far as the tester is concerned they have no authority over your car, the worst they can do is add 'dangerous' to the certificate!
We're all going around in circles here saying the same thing in different ways Yes the MoT certificate remains valid until the expiry date irrespective of the early test result. What I was trying to say was to continue to drive if a failure notice was issued on the system is perhaps a personal choice depending on the serious nature of failure. If you were unlucky to be picked up by ANPR in the weeks after, showing a valid certificate may satisfy the police providing you can show the defects have been addressed otherwise they may issue a ticket, (as I was advised last month by our local friendly traffic cop 3 doors down from me). Insurance companies have various views but you can guarantee if there was ever a claim situation they would do their utmost to find an excuse to invalidate the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
If you have 6 months mot and put it in for a test and it fails you still have 6 months mot! The vehicle may show up on APR as no mot but your certificate is still valid when produced.
My understanding from DVSA is that you can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date. You can also get an MOT anytime earlier, but the MOT renewal date will then be from that date. In other words if it passes it supercedes the original MoT; if it fails then the original certificate stands but you must rectify the defects .

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 20:10   #36
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Quote:
We're all going around in circles here saying the same thing in different ways Yes the MoT certificate remains valid until the expiry date irrespective of the early test result. What I was trying to say was to continue to drive if a failure notice was issued on the system is perhaps a personal choice depending on the serious nature of failure. If you were unlucky to be picked up by ANPR in the weeks after, showing a valid certificate may satisfy the police providing you can show the defects have been addressed otherwise they may issue a ticket, (as I was advised last month by our local friendly traffic cop 3 doors down from me). Insurance companies have various views but you can guarantee if there was ever a claim situation they would do their utmost to find an excuse to invalidate the cover.

My understanding from DVSA is that you can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date. You can also get an MOT anytime earlier, but the MOT renewal date will then be from that date. In other words if it passes it supercedes the original MoT; if it fails then the original certificate stands but you must rectify the defects .
Well said that man :-))))
Old 1st November 2016, 20:13   #37
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Do mot stations have the authority to rescind a valid mot. Just for argument's sake you take your car in for an mot 7 months after its last one and the tester discovers it's in a lethal condition and is dam right dangerous to drive. Does he have the powers to cancel the existing mot there and then.
No, absolutely not.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 1st November 2016, 20:21   #38
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quote:

Correct, a pass result 1 month early will give you 13 months. A pass 2 months early will give 12 months from that date

Old 3rd November 2016, 17:24   #39
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi again.
Just a quick update to let you know my car past its mot this evening. No advisory's either. One happy chappie now :-))
Many thanks to all for joining in on this thread. ( it's been a good read ) Johnny
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:34   #40
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Now that is a real anticlimax to a good debate.

We were all waiting to tell Johnny that is is being irresponsible driving a car with a failed MOT.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote