Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2020, 10:45   #11
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I wonder how a S/E plumber would fare if he held back his Schedules and taxes due at the end of an accounting period. Doesn't matter a jot which airports they fly from or what the side priorities are, if they can't pay they shouldn't fly. Funny how it doesn't apply to the customers. If revenues are that tight there are underlying problems that bode badly. There are hundreds of small businesses that are more important to local communities than a cheap airline.
Spot on. Coudln't have summed it up better.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 10:46   #12
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

APD has now been with us for over 25 years, and as said, it is a tax technically paid by the passenger to the airline, who is supposed to pass it on to the taxman. This should never be seen as belonging to the airline.

I welcome the suggestion that "it is being looked into" but any concession should be to all airlines, not one whose business plan is not working.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 11:32   #13
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

As per Flybe’s position - they are in my opinion being selected against in this by the U.K.’s APD rates - which on further research look to be the highest in the world - such that they are forcing the issue by holding back the tax they have collected because if they pay it they become insolvent.

Flybe OWE this money they have already collected to the HMRC and have deliberately witheld it because they are probably bust due to many factors apart from APD. I don't read reports of other airlines witholding taxes that they are supposed to pay in this way. The company is not viable in its current state otherwise why withold the payment? As is often the case companies blame all and sundry for their failure apart from themselves. Never the managements fault is it? If they can't pay their way like everyone else then bye bye Flybe.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:33   #14
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

APD is a red herring in this I'm afraid. All here impose it and pay it and forward it to HMRC. Flybe haven't as they are in a dire financial position through many factors of which APD is one. If you can't pay your bills then you have to pack in. I don't want them to pack in but it looks like its not a long term sustainable business in which case so be it. I certainly don't see why taxpayers should have to bail out a failed business model that won't work long term or doesn't seem to be capable of doing so.
Old 15th January 2020, 13:06   #15
mbev51
Banned

Removed

lets hope our automotive industry gets supported by our government when it becomes necessary.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 13:22   #16
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Presumably Belgium decided that APD is not for them which is up to them. I'm sure there are many disparities between different countries tax regimes. If some think its "absurd" then that's fine but in the end its a tax that our powers that be have imposed, like it or not, and a tax that Flybe have deliberately not paid. Its been around a while and doesn't seem to stop folk going on planes.
Old 15th January 2020, 14:35   #17
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Flybe collected the tax on behalf of HMRC and held on to it deliberately to prop itself up. Theft in some folks books. And now want to be bailed out at our expense. Thats the point. Looks like there is plenty of backlash brewing now from other operators as a result of the "deal".
Old 15th January 2020, 15:10   #18
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It is still a listed company that is subject to the same pressures as every other airline.

A quick glance at Wiki gives the full sp on its history of calculated transfer of ownership and assets. Control has passed between a variety of what in other circumstances would be considered predatory interests. One of those is Stobart - particularly relevant to my own locale (10 minute walk!) - and what an example of reliability that is!

The reason they are skint is they cannot compete with the other players because the business model is unsatisfactory. That is always a huge fail whatever the circumstances. Now they have in their possession £106 million pounds of our money over which they illegally retain full control during a prolonged investigation on very insecure grounds.

I wonder if the director's fees/bonuses have or will be affected? Will the pension fund be treated the same? Also, who are the major shareholders and what advance protection arrangements have been strategically put in place?

All this smacks of impropriety of political masters.
Old 15th January 2020, 15:40   #19
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

May I refer you again to the description of this tax by the cross party group of MP’s.

Now who exactly would trust such a bunch to come up with a definitive well researched viewpoint. Not me for sure. A verdict from a group of MP's is hardly a statement of fact or truth.
Old 15th January 2020, 16:08   #20
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Different tax regimes exist in different countries for all sorts of reasons (mostly political at a guess!) My daughter lives in Belgium, high income tax, but other things lower, she doesn't seem to complain too much. I imagine our APD is the result of some sort of "climate" lobby but I won't go there as that will open up another can of worms. Anyway thing is we decided it was a good idea, other countries didn't. No right or wrong there but bound to attract criticism to which everyone is entitled to have a view.