Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2020, 16:34   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Unnecessary Music?

Is it just me that is driven crackers by all the "background" music in films and on telly programmes? I have to admit that I do suffer with tinnitus (whistling and hissing sounds in the ears) but this excess of "background" music is really intrusive, especially when the people on the screen are talking.
Rant over!
Old 14th November 2020, 19:48   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Totally agree!!
Old 14th November 2020, 21:39   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I'm also a tinnitus sufferer (too many loud motorbikes & guitars) And I find the background music beneficial!
Old 14th November 2020, 23:11   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

For me it's usually the audio mix that's the killer. Many of these films and even a large number of the modern tv shows are mixed for surround sound - which is great, if you have surround sound. If you don't then the downmix to stereo often makes hearing the dialogue clearly very difficult. I find it doesn't help that the dynamic range is now so wide. In olden days actors could act a whisper, explosions only had to be a tad louder than the dialogue. Now a whisper really is inaudible while explosions aim for realism somewhere upwards of 130db (if you have the tv volume so the dialogue is at normal conversational volume.) I often use headphones and 'ride' the volume controls to compensate.
Same as Trikey my hearing has detiorated over the years motorbikes and guitars and heavy machinery.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 14:37   #5
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I dont think "they" could care less about the viewing/hearing audience. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 19:06   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Totally agree.-

Can you imagine what it would be like in ordinary life if every time you spoke background music started up ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 19:16   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Is it just me that is driven crackers by all the "background" music in films and on telly programmes? I have to admit that I do suffer with tinnitus (whistling and hissing sounds in the ears) but this excess of "background" music is really intrusive, especially when the people on the screen are talking.
Rant over!
Yes, I watch old films and newer ones. Many newer ones make it difficult to hear the dialogue, due to too loud music or over the top sound effects.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 19:47   #8
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

I was watching North by Northwest a couple of weeks ago, and one thing which stood out was just sparingly Hitchcock used music throughout. As a result, when the music does cut in at the moments of highest drama it has much more impact.
As for the sound mix, one of the Die-Hard franchise (3 maybe? The one with the gold robbery) was notorious for having such an awful balance that the dialogue is often lost.
Seems that increasingly in the movies More is More.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 19:49   #9
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

I can hear a pin drop when its quiet but I have issues picking sounds out in noisy environments, if I'm in a noisy workshop it's near impossible for me to listen to somebody talking so I struggle with dialogue when there is music or explosions happening on TV but my pet peave is the radio when they have phone ins, to hear the person who phoned in I have to near double the volume I was listening to the DJ at.
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 20:18   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
I can hear a pin drop when its quiet but I have issues picking sounds out in noisy environments, if I'm in a noisy workshop it's near impossible for me to listen to somebody talking so I struggle with dialogue when there is music or explosions happening on TV but my pet peave is the radio when they have phone ins, to hear the person who phoned in I have to near double the volume I was listening to the DJ at.
You have my sympathy, I have had the same problem all of my life - very sensitive hearing, but very easily confused by background noise. All I get is 'are you deaf?'. In fact I do hear much more than others.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote