Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2020, 15:08   #11
Stephen0

Rover 75 saloon

Oh I spoke too soon, the car was great after the new fuel pump and new fuel filter, the feel good factor lasted about 30 miles, than the engine lost power and refused to rev above around 2500RPM, even in neutral. I decided to take it for a blast on the motorway, that was a mistake, at times car struggled to reach 50mph.
So limped it back to garage, back seat out to check in tank pump, it seems to be pumping fuel across the fuel tank.
Back to square one.
Stephen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:28   #12
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Needs to be put on T4 if you was down here in Kent I’d do it for you, have you checked the fuel rail pressure sensor and plug? Does it trigger the MIL light at any point?
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:32   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nip across to see big russ, I doubt the in tank pump will cause issue, I ran for over a year with a dead one and never lost any power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:52   #14
Stephen0

Rover 75 saloon

Hi, No warning lights, I will speak to the mechanic about the fuel rail pressure sensor and plug.

Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:09   #15
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen0 View Post
Oh I spoke too soon, the car was great after the new fuel pump and new fuel filter, the feel good factor lasted about 30 miles, than the engine lost power and refused to rev above around 2500RPM, even in neutral. I decided to take it for a blast on the motorway, that was a mistake, at times car struggled to reach 50mph.
So limped it back to garage, back seat out to check in tank pump, it seems to be pumping fuel across the fuel tank.
Back to square one.

If there is more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel, the car will run fine irrespective of the ITP operation.

I would take the advice of visiting Big Russ, I struggled with a few niggles on my own car, until I was introduced to John at MGR Auto services at Blaydon.

He was kind enough to show me what was happening in real time with his T4 diagnostic machine, and better still explain what was causing the problem on my car.

I had tried other scan tools myself, but these were nothing compared to the Rover main dealer kit.

It will save lots of time/money in misdiagnosis by the garage you are using at the moment I'm sure.

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 12:52   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Back to square one.

Not a good test - far better to remove the cover over the passenger side rear seat, disconnect the outlet pipe, fit another bit of pipe with the other end in a jar, unplug the UBP and then with key to position II check the flow out of the pipe.

You should get a steady flow of fuel with no entrapped air. Next plug the pipe back in, disconnect the inlet to the UBP (ie the other end of the same pipe) and do the same test. You should get the same flow rate - if you don't then you have a partially blocked pipe - the end protector I was going on about earlier could be a possible cause.

If that checks out then connect that pipe, plug the UBP back in, disconnect the outlet pipe where it enters the fuel filter and place in a jar and test again. You should get a far stronger flow of fuel again with no entrapped air.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 24th November 2020 at 16:04..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 19:54   #17
Stephen0

Rover 75 saloon

This is my 3rd Rover 75 in a row, and by far the best one I have owned, top spec, gold, sandstone leather, cruise, electric memory seats, electric sunblind auto mirrors, wipers. Serpent alloys. Wood steering wheel lovingley cared for for 6 years, no rust very clean inside, but I think it's time to say good bye.
If i had a garage I would take it off road and store it.
But I don't .

Ahhh a sad day foe me.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:15   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well you aren't going to get much for it with it running like it is. Why not do the simple tests I suggested, post up the results and we can go from there?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 22:05   #19
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
This is my 3rd Rover 75 in a row, and by far the best one I have owned, top spec, gold, sandstone leather, cruise, electric memory seats, electric sunblind auto mirrors, wipers. Serpent alloys. Wood steering wheel lovingley cared for for 6 years, no rust very clean inside, but I think it's time to say good bye.
If i had a garage I would take it off road and store it.
But I don't .

Ahhh a sad day foe me.

Or as you have been advised, send a message to Big Russ and stop messing about with a garage who knows nothing, and have it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing

Not a sad day at all, just time to make a decision as to whether you want to keep the car I'd say

One of the best things I'd say about this forum is just about every single fault or problem has been experienced by someone or other, and even if you don't have the answer, there will be someone who does.

If you are serious about keeping your car, contact Russ HERE

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 22:35   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I am afraid I did not fair well when I bought an under bonnet fuel pump from Rimmer’s. Well Over £100.00. It was kept in my boot for around 8 years as a spare. When I fitted it at one our Nano meets at Four Ashes, because the original one had become noisy, I thought that the clips used on the rubber pipes, top and bottom, were not tight enough because there was diesel on the bottom of the pump. Tried three or four times to stop it leaking. Steve (Artic) tried to get the clips tight, but there was still diesel on the bottom of the pump. He said it seems as though the casing was leaking at the bottom of the pump. I think it was Sewerman who stepped in with a cheap underbonnet pump, and I fitted that. No diesel on the bottom of the pump, and is still in use now. Not quite so quiet as the original, but it works. Could not send the one back as it was well out of warranty.