Notices

Old 23rd November 2020, 13:04   #31
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Good question. Ditto for Sir Sean Connery and Sir Richard Branson? Oh also Sir Jackie Stewart who allegedly maintains a home in Switzerland?
Sir Sean Connery had his investiture blocked a few times if I recall. But to be fair he did promote Britain - specifically Scotland whenever he could.

Sir Richard Branson, was knighted for services to entrepreneurship. I dont think you could deny that.

Sir Jackie Stewart for services to motor racing. I do not think anyone has done more for the safety of drivers.

All are tax exiles to some degree. I cannot recall Richard Branson admitting to any kind of tax avoidance by living abroad, whereas the other two have openly admitted to it being a reason in the past. However his former companies would have paid quite a bit of taxes I am sure - just as Hamilton's do.

Hamilton's knighthood, I imagine is for services to motor racing? I do not care to be honest if he is knighted. The only services to motor racing he has been involved in, is in his early career, promoting black interests in motor sport (which seems to have fallen in the way of involvement in US social matters) and helping to promote American owned, French governed F1 in the US.

He initially promoted black drivers in motor racing, and has continued to promote black matters outside of motor racing (edit: this should read He initially promoted black drivers in motor racing, and has continued to promote social black matters outside of motor racing within it). To me this is not right, and would be 'more on board' with him had he been taking a more all inclusive approach (women, all races etc), but I do appreciate his position, and it is understandable. It irks somewhat, when the grid, are against racism, whilst he stands alone supporting black lives matter. Still, it is what he believes in even though I think he is naive at times (the breanna taylor t-shirt being one instance).

So Connery, a British person promoting Scotland, via his interviews etc from his promotional tours etc.

Stewart, a British person campaigned for safety within his chosen field.

Branson, a British person promoting business to young people, speaking to the youth of world, as well as Britian, inspiring them.

Hamliton, a British born wannabe American using his chosen field to protest about black injustice in America. But he did inspire (in an aggressive way IMO, at the beginning) his peers, though, into creating the stance we see now.

You cannot deny he is trying to do something, unfortunately, it all seems to be a little too fashionable. But I do think his father should be given some form of award for the effort in getting Lewis to where he is now. It was his father who did the hard work in the beginning. I do not think Hamilton had it so tough as people make out, but there is no denying the effort his father put in.

At the end of the day he is supposed to be getting it, and it does not change my opinion of him being one the good drivers, and NOT a great driver. When he gets the opportunity to prove his mettle, he is prone to frustration and failure as most others are, when things do not goes his way. His self entitlement shines through at that point. Senna in the beginning showed his greatness, Mansell (who I do not like) showed his greatness throughout his career, Schumacher but only in bursts throughout his career. That determination of putting a car into a position that it should not be, Hamilton hasnt really had that opportunity, and when he did, he was leveled or beaten by his team mate.

I do not think drivers now have the same opportunities to put their cars into places they should not be any longer, with perhaps the exception of Verstappen, Sainz, and Ricciardo. And overall for their general attitude, Lando Norris. With Ricciardo as his team mate, I think Norris will be worth watching, if you can.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 23rd November 2020 at 18:15..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:34   #32
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Well argued and presented, clf, but I was specifically referring to their tax status, not the reason for their honour, and Willy, I didn’t introduce the matter of tax into this thread.

But never mind, I’m happy being in the wrong. It’s not the first time, ask Mrs B!

Last edited by baxlin; 23rd November 2020 at 14:39..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:39   #33
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Well argued and presented, clf, but I was specifically referring to their tax status, not the reason for their honour, and Willy, I didn’t introduce the matter of tax into this thread.

But never mind, I’m happy being in the wrong. It’s not the first time, ask Mrs B!
These honours are given for their contribution to their chosen fields though. Their 'right' to be considered is determined by their birth place status. I am of the opinion that their tax status is a red herring. How many people, given the opportunity, would avoid legitimately (or not!! lol) paying tax?

Most would, but I also consider the drawbacks of this. There are sacrifices more important than money to be made over this tax avoidance, for me anyway. Being away from family, in particular Lewis Hamilton, or other people who tour a lot. Your little potential free time would be forced away from family and friends in the most part. I do not feel sorry for people who do this, but it is a consideration I would have.

Last edited by clf; 23rd November 2020 at 18:19..
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:09   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:-- Willyheckaslike.--sporting a false race card and infect a sport with their personal opinion and politics.

Could you tell us more about the --false race card--Interesting comment.---

Personal opinion though. -------------
Everybody in the sport has a personal opinion.---The three commentators wax lyrical all the time about LH.---So in my book LH is entitled to a personal opinion too.-----They all have theirs.--

PS. All my posts in this interesting thread so far have been my opinions. ( Good and Bad.--Lol. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:12   #35
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Everybody in the sport has a personal opinion.---The three commentators wax lyrical all the time about LH.---So in my book LH is entitled to a personal opinion too.-----They all have theirs.--

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]PS. All my posts in this interesting thread so far have been my opinions. ( Good and Bad.--Lol. )
you should watch some of the interviewers, when it comes to their discussions on LH. It is sometimes obvious what their opinions on his persona are lol.

PS all my posts in this thread are my own too, and since they are correct, they should be everyone else's too, but hey, you are all allowed to be wrong sometimes

Old 24th November 2020, 13:54   #36
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Err, no! This is why he falls flat on his backside on both counts with those in the UK who do not do as he and his ilk do. Those who pay their full contributions day in and day out here in the UK and can differentiate with the likes of racism and opportunism.
WillyH, sorry I can’t use your real name as you haven’t given it in your legend! Are you sure you haven’t got a haven in France?

Your posts seem very bitter about the subject – fair enough, you are perfectly entitled – but you fail to respond to the reasonable request for background in support of your derogatory posts 22 and 23!

With regard to your saying the thread has gone off subject, and after looking back at every post, I can’t find any posts that have strayed! To give examples of the wider picture to give context seems reasonable.

To be clear, I’m not particularly a fan and his kneeling problem disgusts me, but if we go to lengths that contradict the facts without some supporting evidence we are lost. The very title of the thread could be seen as offensive – hence the asterisk. Come on mate, tell us what you really think!
Old 24th November 2020, 22:00   #37
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Don't agree with him getting a knighthood at all. How is driving around a circle of road 25 times somehow worth a knighthood, when finding successful ways to treat life threatening illnesses isn't?

If it wasn't for Cancer Research I'd be dead, so where the naffing hell is their recognition?!?
Old 24th November 2020, 23:03   #38
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Don't agree with him getting a knighthood at all. How is driving around a circle of road 25 times somehow worth a knighthood, when finding successful ways to treat life threatening illnesses isn't?

If it wasn't for Cancer Research I'd be dead, so where the naffing hell is their recognition?!?
Putting it baldly like that I guess you are correct.---

However what you say applies to just about every sport you can think of. ( Take footballers.----Please do.-- for instance )

Football---ball in the net......

Golf---ball in a hole......

Snooker---ball in a pocket.....

All a lot of old balls and they all get paid too much for just PLAYING games.-------Nothing productive about any of it.---

Maybe it's the kudos they bring to the country that gets them knighted.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 08:58   #39
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Good Morning Folks.

SOCIAL FORUM???

Peace on earth and goodwill too all men.

Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 11:08   #40
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post

On the basis that weasel Andy Murray got one for hitting a ball about then Hamilton deserves his.