Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2020, 11:21   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes not a problem to leave it off in our climate. Mine has fallen/got knocked off three times over the years and is currently sitting on a shelf in the garage.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 20:21   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Yes, I removed mine when I refurbished the rear subframe, haven't refitted it, don't think ill bother tbh..
Not seen a thread on this happening but I thought they were to stop the sub frame dropping if the rubber bush failed.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 20:07   #13
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not seen a thread on this happening but I thought they were to stop the sub frame dropping if the rubber bush failed.

macafee2
I think Trikey was referring to the aerofoil, not the washers.

I got this all finished today. Have to say it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been expecting, and makes me wish I hadn't put it off for so long!
From jacking it up, to dropping it back down, was about 10 hours. 2 or 3 hours on Friday removing the old parts, and about 7 hours today assembling the new subframe with arms etc, fitting it and adjusting the handbrake. It was tricky lifting the subframe, complete with arms, up over the exhaust, and then getting it in roughly the right place. but then once it was near I was able to use a trolley jack to lift it up in to place and hold it there while I fitted the bolts. Also a bit awkward trying to get in to some of the nuts and bolts with the torque wrench, but I just about managed it. Now to find time to load up all the old bits and take it to the tip. One of the old arms was actually worse than I thought, I noticed today it has a hole on the leading edge on the underside!

Also, I was uncharacteristically methodical in the rebuild, making sure I torqued everything up and didn't just plough on ahead and forget something. Then when moving the old Subframe out the way and having a tidy up I realised I'd not refitted one of the plastic covers to the near side lower arm, so quickly jacked it back up and managed to get that clipped on. The real test will come in around an hour when I go to work...
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2020, 21:56   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Just realised I never put up the photos of the parts I removed. So below are photos of the parts I removed, the photos don't really show it, but the bushes in the subframe were completely filled with a powdery buildup. Last photo is the replacement subframe etc just before I refitted it.

Having driven it for a couple of weeks now, its completely changed the car. It's amazing what you get used to when things are slowly wearing out. It's much smoother and less crashy over bumps (I also fitted new shocks), reminds me of how nice it was to drive when I first got it nearly 8 years ago now.

Old 13th December 2020, 22:13   #15
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,been thinking of doing this for yonks,got an incentive now as on the MOT it mentions surface rust,so where did you have it sandblasted and coated,I'm nearby in Northampton so gathering info on where to have it done.Have a spare subframe so could have it swapped over.Regards Ry.....
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 08:30   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I hope you torqued the sub frame and suspension bolts up with the car sitting on its wheels and not hanging in the air. This is difficult to do for the lower arm at the hub due to the wheel being in the way

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 17:14   #17
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Hi,been thinking of doing this for yonks,got an incentive now as on the MOT it mentions surface rust,so where did you have it sandblasted and coated,I'm nearby in Northampton so gathering info on where to have it done.Have a spare subframe so could have it swapped over.Regards Ry.....
Theres a place in Corby called interlay fabrications, they put it in the booth and did while doing other work, (along with a couple of suspension arms, but they were beyond use) £20 cash. MarinaBrian gave me advice on what paints to get and I did it myself on the driveway over a couple of weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I hope you torqued the sub frame and suspension bolts up with the car sitting on its wheels and not hanging in the air. This is difficult to do for the lower arm at the hub due to the wheel being in the way

macafee2
Not entirely sure its the same, but I use trolley jacks under the rear hubs, and jack it up so its just lifting the car off the axle stands. Not had any issues before when doing it that way.