Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2017, 16:56   #1
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Wipers still working without keys in + other

Hi guys, anyone know why this might be?? I returned home after a drive and parked up, after an hour I opened house front door, and noticed my windscreen wipers are merrily wiping the windscreen? after getting in and inserting key, wipers will only go off, after turning key to just before start position, or when I pull lever for washer jets? also I switched cd on and turned key off, cd player still playing, and so turned key off and then noticed the small red lights on door for mirror controls are still lit too? plus wipers still going??? I have now disconnected earth from battery for now. anybody know please what may be the cause of this? Thanks, Skyshark......P.S. i went for a drive and it all works fine? only when I switch key off?

Last edited by Skyshark; 26th February 2017 at 17:12..
Skyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 17:12   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

From what I remember of other posts, suspect the plenum's being flooded and therefore affected the computer control box, the ECM? Have a look in there, but there will be someone along shortly with far more knowledge than I. Good luck.
planenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 17:13   #3
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Has it got Hiline SATnav?

CHECK YOUR BOOT WHEEL WELL NOW!!!
Prob full of water.
Disconnect the video and tuner modules take them in to dry out.
Cure the boot leak

The kbus wiring has got wet

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 17:16   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Could it be the light switch? If these get damp they can cause electrical problems and systems staying on.

When you take the key out is it still lit?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 17:44   #5
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks guys, could be ecu checked about a month ago, yes I do have HiLine but I was looking at that about a week ago as signal is rubbish in my area for tv I have found, so checked it for loose connections, but it works if I go elsewhere! and didnt see any water then, will check again tho, Have just also read on here could be wiring, or BCU. I am not that good with mechanics unless its pretty simple, also some say battery reset could do it, I have the earth off at mo, does positive need to be off too? Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 17:46   #6
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Dont think light switch was on, will check again when I connect battery, just the small red ones on my driver door for mirrors, & rear window lock. I will check these suggestions asap, its peeing down here, Dark Now, and have no garage, thank you for your suggestions you guys, will prob be back on tomoz after reading up more on here, and reconnecting battery and trying whats been suggested, and let you know results. thanks again Skyshark.

Last edited by Skyshark; 26th February 2017 at 18:13.. Reason: more info
Old 26th February 2017, 22:49   #7
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark View Post
Hi guys, anyone know why this might be?? I returned home after a drive and parked up, after an hour I opened house front door, and noticed my windscreen wipers are merrily wiping the windscreen? after getting in and inserting key, wipers will only go off, after turning key to just before start position, or when I pull lever for washer jets? also I switched cd on and turned key off, cd player still playing, and so turned key off and then noticed the small red lights on door for mirror controls are still lit too? plus wipers still going??? I have now disconnected earth from battery for now. anybody know please what may be the cause of this? Thanks, Skyshark......P.S. i went for a drive and it all works fine? only when I switch key off?
I had a similar problem. The car would be locked up. I would come out of the house to find the wipers operating. The temporary solution was to remove fuse F10 (20A, yellow) in the engine compartment fusebox that powered the wiper motors et al.

The problem seemed only to occur in very wet weather.

There is a switch in the windscreen wiper motor assembly that keeps the wipers working until they 'park'. My suspicion was that there was damp tracking across the contacts of the park switch et al. I disconnected the wiper motor connector, cleaned and dried the contacts, then sprayed with WD40. It seemed to cure the problem.

PS I also suffered from phantom alarm activations at the same time. I put that down to the battery going flat due to the wipers operating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by MarkS; 4th March 2017 at 16:55.. Reason: Clarification
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 04:28   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I would check if there is any relay in this circuit. If so, it could be stuck.
Old 27th February 2017, 06:35   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Has it got Hiline SATnav?

CHECK YOUR BOOT WHEEL WELL NOW!!!
Prob full of water.
Disconnect the video and tuner modules take them in to dry out.
Cure the boot leak

The kbus wiring has got wet
I would agree totally with the above statement, it is a K bus fault causing this to happen

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 16:46   #10
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Guys, I went out earlier, and before putting terminals on I took some pics. (pics further down post, page 2) it looks dry in plenum, just a bit of sludge/leaves but no deeper water, and pollen filter looks as if its had no water on it at all? (would like opinions) the white dust looks as if its staying quite dry in there, as most damp dust would be darker in my opinion?

Also Boot is bone dry, I had a leak ages ago from split foam rubber seal on tail lamp, but sealed that, and have only had a few drops on boot carpet since.

Anyway, I looked at wiper motor, and it has surface rust only, and cleaned connections, and for good measure, gave it a light tapping with a spanner, in case anything was stuck inside. I reconnected the Terminal, and The wipers stayed Off!! I then got in car tried ignition, holding my breath! and all seems to be working properly again!! I dont know wether leaving battery off overnight, to reset ECU, has done this? the tapping with the spanner? something may have been corroded in there? The small red lights on the drivers door stayed on the first time I switched engine off, but after restarting car, it seems to have sorted itself? So am not 100% sure this is fully solved as it may start again? but for now it seems it may have been as suggested by MarkS above? or the ECU reset? last looked at 4 o,clock, and now again at 5:40, and she is sitting there silently So thanks Guys for all your suggestions, and I am going to keep my fingers crossed. It really is great to have this site, as I aint no mechanic! Thanks again.

Last edited by Skyshark; 27th February 2017 at 18:18.. Reason: name change