Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2020, 08:31   #1
Galcian

None at the moment

Default A frog in a longship

Hello everyone,

I present myself : Thomas, 28, living at the moment in Paris. I'm however born and raised on the French Riviera, and I'm starting to really miss its sunshine and its mountains in the middle of this grey flat confined city. Therefore I'm planning to go back there, and preparations are underway.

One of the consequences of going back to the "countryside" is that now I will have to use a car to commute, to go visit friends, buy stuff, go skiing or to the beach. So far, I have a BMW Z3 Coupé, which I love and wouldn't sell for nothing, but this car can't be used for much of these tasks. Is too rough, too limited in space, the engine too sensible to small trip and cold starts, etc.

I've therefore been looking for a car to complete these tasks. Contrary to the BMW, a car that focus on comfort, ambiance and smoothness. A car also on which I won't lose money, either by depreciation or maintenance, because the Z had a price and demands a bit in maintenance.

However, I just don't want a random car (or I'll just buy some random 407 or Corolla). I dreamt of the cars I would buy latter as a kid, and I would like to like to keep to them. I did it with my first car (a Volvo 480), I did it with the Z, and I want to do it again with this car.

I first thought of a Lancia Thesis. Magnificent car, the last true Lancia, just pure luxury and style. However, it is highly unreliable, spare parts are impossible to come by or atrociously expensive, and no one (at least in France) is capable of working them.

Then I remembered of another car I loved when I visited the UK and Ireland as a kid and very rare here on the continent : the Rover 75/MG ZT (you would had figured that out by now I hope ^^). Hence my presence among you. I'm currently trying to gather information on the car in order to assess whether or not it fits the necessary characteristics. And I thought : who can better answer my questioning than the people who actually bought loads of them (well, maybe not enough to save the brand but still...). So here I am

So, what do you guys think about this prospect ?
- Is using a Rover 75/MG ZT as a daily driver realistic ? (I'm not fixed on either one of them, even though I must admit I prefer the styling of the MG. The Rover is maybe just too British for a French guy to pull it off ^^).
- Is the car dependable and reliable as to start every morning of the year ? (Winters are not really cold down there ^^).
- Are the spare parts easily available and reasonably affordable, as when something does occur, it doesn't spent 3 weeks in the shop ?
- What petrol engine would you suggest ? I hate diesel unit, can't help myself. I think a K engine model would be more suited for my use, but I'm a bit scared by all the mythology around its cooling and head gasket issues. I don't know to which extent it is true and expensive to fix preemptively.

Last question would be whether their is or not people able to work them in the south of France (I love to DIY my cars, but changing a HG isn't something I can do), but we have a lot of shops specialized on British oldies (Triumph, Austin Healey, MG, jags, Lotus, Sevens, etc.). I guess they may know their way around a K unit given its widespread use and a Rover when they see one.

Looking forward to discuss with you

Best regards,

PS : I'm sorry if I made any mistakes or if sentences doesn't mean anything, I did my best.
PS2 : Well done for the VI nations, still haven't swallowed this silly defensive bonus point we've given you in Paris that cost us the championship.

Last edited by Galcian; 16th November 2020 at 09:12..
Galcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 08:56   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

welcome to the forum, others will be along shortly to talk about petrol versions, sorry I'm a diesel owner.
As for mistakes, my goodness if I could have written one sentence in French I'd be chuffed, your English is brilliant. I understood everything you wrote

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 08:57   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Welcome Thomas and thank you for such a well written introduction, some of us could learn from it.

Everybody will have their own experience with these cars, some have several problems, some none at all but in truth, that applies to all makes of machines. Each of us who have solved a problem will suggest, time and time again, that "my idea is the only way", and I include myself in that.

You clearly have done some research and will have discovered that several other vehicles use the K-series engine, so do not just look for a Rover mechanic.

Good luck in your quest.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 08:59   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Welcome along, a 75 is a good choice for a daily driver 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th November 2020, 09:13   #5
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Welcome.

Rover did 2 versions of the 4 cylinder K-series for the 75.. a 115BHP N/A version, and a 160BHP turbocharged version. Most people here would probably opt for the 160, since the 115 can be a bit sluggish. They also did a KV6 in 2 or 2.5 litre guise. Reliability is good, but as with any car check that it's been serviced regularly.
Old 16th November 2020, 09:46   #6
Galcian

None at the moment

Thanks for the welcome

What you seem to tell me is that reliability shouldn't be a real issue if the car has been looked after properly, as with every car approaching 20 years.

Just a few questions :
- In the event of a HGF on a K engine, is it a costly repair ? If a HGF happens, is it just because the HG is rubbish, or because their is an issue with the cooling system and the whole "plumbing" must be redone ?
- More generally, are spare parts broadly available (at least to command in the UK) ? Are they expensive ?
- Is their a difference between the year of production ? I've read somewhere that cars from the 04 and 05 were more poorly built than the 98-03 ones.
- The V6 seems lovely. Sounds nice, and suits nicely the car. However, it appears it can be thirsty. Do you know if it takes well a modification to use e85 fuel ? I'm not saying I'll do it, I'm just considering options.
- Would you reckon the differences between the 75 and the ZT are just cosmetic, or is there a real difference in terms of drive ? I've seen that the V6 is a notch more powerful in the ZT, and the suspension settings a bit harsher.

For the fun, during my searches I found this : https://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occas...101366255.html
Way too expensive, but one of the only 7 ZT260 sold in France in very pristine condition !

Last edited by Galcian; 16th November 2020 at 10:03..
Galcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 10:22   #7
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcian View Post
Thanks for the welcome

What you seem to tell me is that reliability shouldn't be a real issue if the car has been looked after properly, as with every car approaching 20 years.

Just a few questions :
- In the event of a HGF on a K engine, is it a costly repair ? If a HGF happens, is it just because the HG is rubbish, or because their is an issue with the cooling system and the whole "plumbing" must be redone ?
About 3 to 4 hundred pounds I believe (I'm not sure what that might be in Euros) Make sure it IS the head gasket that has gone though, because it often gets blamed for faults it had no part in.

Quote:
- More generally, are spare parts broadly available (at least to command in the UK) ? Are they expensive ?
Beauty about the 75 is the fact that many of its parts are interchangeable with parts from other makes. The lower engine mount for example can be replaced with a slightly modified one from a Mk3 Mondeo, and the wiring loom is a BMW one. eveything else is still avaliable from sites such as EBay, RimmerBros etc..

Quote:
- Is their a difference between the year of production ? I've read somewhere that cars from the 04 and 05 were more poorly built than the 98-03 ones.
There is. It was known as Project Drive, and it was an attempt by Rover to try and cut costs. Build quality was affected slightly, but in general is still very good. The biggest change was making what used to be standard an optional extra, and the deletion of small items such as nut covers, real wood dashboards etc.

Quote:
- The V6 seems lovely. Sounds nice, and suits nicely the car. However, it appears it can be thirsty. Do you know if it takes well a modification to use e85 fuel ? I'm not saying I'll do it, I'm just considering options.
Depends on how it's driven. If driven carefully it's not that much worse than most other V6's of the time, although it can hurt if you're an enthusiastic driver. I can't comment on E85 fuel, unfortunatley

Quote:
- Would you reckon the differences between the 75 and the ZT are just cosmetic, or is there a real difference in terms of drive ? I've seen that the V6 is a notch more powerful in the ZT, and the suspension settings a bit harsher.
There are differences apart from asthetic. The V6 is a tad faster in MG form, and the ride is firmer, but more sporty.

Quote:
For the fun, during my searches I found this : https://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occas...101366255.html
Way too expensive, but one of the only 7 ZT260 sold in France in very pristine condition !
Nice car!

Last edited by Bogbrush82; 16th November 2020 at 10:25..
Bogbrush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 10:52   #8
cantabro75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn SE 2004

Salut Thomas et bienvenue

I drive all days my 2004 Rover 75 CDTI, no problem on "cold" ( i live Santander north Cantabric coast) or Summer. is avery confort car, i drive 90 klm a day ( autorrute) and is 246.000 klm on the clock, problems, cluch! twice and no more ( except some gremlins on the loock system)

Thesis,,wonderfull,elegant but really expesive to maintenace ( automatic gives many problems and a small pice will cost you a fortune)

So.whats about the last Emperor of the French road CITROEN C6 ? I really love this Transatlantique hidroneumatique !

Last edited by cantabro75; 16th November 2020 at 10:54..
cantabro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 10:55   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the fountain of knowledge concerning our cars.

I have a k series MG ZT 1.8t. Which is currently on 210,300 miles. Had a a few issues including head gasket failure, 4 of them, but I love the car. A very underrated engine is the k series.

Plenty of advice on here. Just ask any questions.

233,250. And that was our first event of 2024.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 11:18   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Bienvenue Thomas.---I live in France near Thouars. ( 79100 )

I have the diesel engine. 50 + mpg.

The most trouble free and reliable car I've ever owned. ( 13 years to date. )

If you can find a well serviced car then that will be trouble free also.

Apart from the normal service items that any car has to have I've fitted a front suspension lower arm and two rear discs.--That's ALL. --

All parts are available.

Colvert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Je parle francais..jpg (22.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th November 2020 at 11:24..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote