Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2020, 22:24   #11
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

I can see what Mike is saying here, in his picture the flattened part of the curved section where the forming mandrel originally clamped the wire is in the same place on both compensators.

However is it not the case that the the bend "unwinds" over a period of time which explains why the wire is no longer parallel in a stretched compensator?

In any event the mini version is a wholly better idea, which can actually compensate as opposed to being a simple cable splitter.
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 22:29   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
The third one isn't as visible as the first two so I've taken the shot of those two. The bending process seems to have been rather random or maybe the riveting process was. It's not a total issue related to stretching, it's an issue related to who made your compensator.
As you can clearly see, the bend marks are in the same places but the lengths of the compensators differ, it's not a big problem really but one I for one am aware of for future reference.
Thanks but see T-cuts post just before yours. What he shows is what I was looking for, the opening up of the U

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 22:34   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I always weld up a standard one with the least amount of movement possible.
Old 29th November 2020, 02:19   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Here are a couple of brand new ones from 2011 it's all been covered before. They were all made the same.

New and welded one together.

Does the bar really open up or pull round the pin

Testing.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 11:47   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Has anyone ever thought to subject the rod to a metallurgic test? It is, presumably, tensile steel. The leverage torque from a relatively short lever like the handbrake is nowhere near the load it would take to 'stretch' the rod given the length of cabling (presumably mild steel?) involved. Several tons I should think. Any 'stretching' would take place elsewhere.

When assessing the varying lengths of the rods maybe it might be wise to consider the efforts of earlier owners prior to the hugely effective replacements from Steve (Arctic) to replace suspected 'long' ones. Given the frequency of modding by so many owners it could by why the lengths vary. I can't think they would have been factory installed!
Old 30th November 2020, 09:08   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Never tested one but the rods appear to be made from a malleable steel, not as strong as high tensile but they will failsafe - elongate as opposed to break.

As Steve said this has all been covered before and nothing else stretches - these compensators elongate over time.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 12:14   #17
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanks Mike. I’ve pondered this for a long time, 12 years in fact, and confess to continuing curiosity. Whatever the cause is, it does happen. I for one was relieved to compensate (!) for the problem with an Arctic special – possibly the most effective mod available!

However, at the risk of boring more than a boring thing, I remain sceptical of the cause. My apprenticeship many years ago included analysis of various substances and the loads causing stress fracture that might be expected – specifically in metals.

The load applied at the handbrake/fulcrum, necessary to stretch that rod would possibly result in catastrophic failure elsewhere. Beyond normal human endeavour!

Until a proper lab test is taken I can’t believe that sturdy rod yields to the puny tug from 6” of lever travel! If that could be explained I’d be very happy!
Old 30th November 2020, 14:18   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'm with you on that Ray - interesting to see exactly why the compensator elongates. There is a bit of mechanical advantage in the handbrake of course, and maybe temperature change adds a bit of force during the time the handbrake is applied?

Funnily enough back in the day I bought a replacement front cable before this came to light, and when I removed the old one it was a tad shorter than the replacement.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 14:49   #19
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I think I've got it! Yes, I've got it! As in the rest of the Rover chain, it's the magic in the metal!
Old 1st December 2020, 17:41   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Slightly off centre, but I think that they stretch because, they can.There is nothing to stop them, and when you hear some people pull on the handbrake, it would be surprising if they did not. Sounds to me some people think that they have to almost pull the handbrake through the floor. I have cringed some times when listening to the person next to me in the car next to me at the lights, or Asda car park