Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2013, 10:18   #1
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Default A/C Compressor

Hi, Changing compressor out on my 1.8. Haynes says to do it from right wheel arch, is this the best route, had wondered if it would be easier to remove the alternator and do it from the top, certainly be better access for pipe unions, any one done this.

Thanks.
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 22:00   #2
Click4
Loves to post

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevil View Post
Hi, Changing compressor out on my 1.8. Haynes says to do it from right wheel arch, is this the best route, had wondered if it would be easier to remove the alternator and do it from the top, certainly be better access for pipe unions, any one done this.

Thanks.
Haynes will tell you quickest way, but it isn't always the easiest.
But generally their instructions lean towards removing the least amount of parts possible. I've often found easier ways to do things but had to do more work.

If you don't feel confident in trying alternative ways of removal, Haynes method is best to follow to avoid unforeseen complications that Haynes doesn't cover.

But usually on some cars have to say removal of wheel arch liner and compressor out the side probably is easiest route from experience.

Don't forget to remove the other pipes from the car and flush them with a solvent prior to fitting the compressor, and also pour the oil out of existing compressor so you know how much pag oil to put into your new one.

Warranty is void on new or recon replacements if a flush of the system is not carried out. Because a damaged compressor can eject particles into the system which then get into the replacement and can destroy that also.

Lubricate o rings with pag oil also before installing.

Don't leave system open for more than 4 hours as you will also require a reciever drier... That is crucial, a depleted reciever drier won't do your system any good.

When finished, do an extended vacuum for about an hour and half to eliminate any moisture that has got in when it was opened.
Click4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 07:38   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Peter,

As you can see from the above, there's a lot to do. I hope you're 100% certain that there's something wrong with your compressor.

Simon
Old 30th January 2013, 10:05   #4
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Thanks guys, will probably go for wheel arch as it looks a bit tight to extract from above.
The compressor at the moment is leaking from the high side pipe union and from the pressure relief valve (had dye put in last year when we changed the condenser) rotates freely but does make a bit of noise when low on gas, tried to get hold of a new pressure valve but only one's I can find are in China, I've picked up a good used replacement compressor so plan on swopping it out, got O rings from Jules and pag oil's in the post, just have to get what's left in the system recovered before I start, of course once I get this done I wonder what the next weak point in the system will turn out to be, lets hope nothing
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote