Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2010, 16:08   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Testing the fan should I think be simply a matter of applying 12v across its terminals - which should then provide its maximum speed.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:40   #22
xion2000
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Default No big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
one point i would like to make , we are lucky enough to have some top trades people on here that know these cars inside out ,if you want a resistor then there is only one place to go,and that is to buy one from jules ,i am u/s at doing things on my car but with the resistor i got from jules i was able to do it as it even comes with holes drilled in the right place to fix to cowling .. so my point is why go to a plumber if you want to buy chicken ,
Funny thing is, I went to Radio Spares for my chicken, Plucked it & stuffed it into my grill & fan now works at slow & fast speed.
Appreciate all then advise given by other members but I simply wanted a resistor, I have all the other required parts.
I can't understand all the balling about such a little issue.
I thought it was common practice to shop around for the best deal & only buy what you require. I wouldn't buy a complete new boiler if the thermocouple failed.
xion2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:42   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
What's the best test to ensure that the fan's failed rather than the resistor. Clearly it'll be the non-operation of the slow speed, but is there a quick pavement side test I can do?
Hi Rob,

What's a "pavement side test"? Do you mean a roadside test? We're British here you know, not American!

To answer your question I think you'll need to bridge some of the terminals on the trinary switch to trigger the fan on it's high speed. If you perform a forum search you'll find details on how to do this. Harry is quite right to say that applying voltage directly to the fan motor will test it, but this requires taking off the front bumper which is not really a quick roadside test.

Simon.
Old 4th June 2010, 19:54   #24
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

If your only concern is the slow speed having failed, but the high speed is OK - then it almost is certainly the resistor which has failed. I didn't even bother testing the resistor I just gambled on it being that and ordered one. The only way to confirm it is to pull the bumber off, which is a lot of effort if you don't have the resistor ready to fit - unless you do not mind leaving the car stood with no bumper until it turns up.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote