Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd June 2022, 14:25   #1
Brip

Rover 75 Tourer

Default knock from FOS suspension

Hi all,
another knock problem!! clunk/knock when going over bumps/potholes etc. I cannot find any loose bolts or play with the wheel off, the wheel doesn't give any movement backwards or forwards, drop links look fine, no obvious problem with the shock absorbers, but.......the previous owner put new springs on and on the side which is knocking there is no spring isolator on the bottom of the spring.
Before I go to the trouble of stripping it out, is that simple? Is this the probable cause of the noise or do these rubber isolators just take up a little of the vibration?
Your thoughts gentlemen,

thanks Brian
Brip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:21   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Check out the front anti roll bar bushes.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:44   #3
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default suspension knock

Quite likley to be drop link. easy way to check remove lower ball joint from anti roll bar get hold of lower joint and push upwards to see if you have any vertical movement. If you have replace link, you can check bottom ball joint as well for play. Also check the mounting bush at the rear of the arm to see if the rubber part has split.Also check the bolts are all tight one the one on the ball joint to the hub and the schock absorber to the hub.
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:13   #4
Brip

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks both for the suggestions, hope to check out the relevant parts and update answer after the weekend
Old 26th June 2022, 12:00   #5
Brip

Rover 75 Tourer

Smile

Spot on with the drop link!!! as soon as I took the bottom joint off it was easy to push up and down, hence the knock. Check Ed the other items whilst wheel off a s everything OK, thanks both of you, a quick and cheap fix!

For anyone else doing this I didn't have a problem with the top ball joint, managed it with 2 open ended spanners and cut a few mm off the new thread so I could use a ring spanner. Thanks again guys