Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th July 2020, 09:33   #1
RoverBRM

MG ZT 190 se, Rover 75 tourer, Rover 200BRM, Land Rover Freelander 1 & a T4

Default KV6 Fuel injector testing

Hi All
My ZT V6 (Shagwell) is becoming a bit too needy of late with poor running, weeping coolant into Vee and use of a drop of water which he's converting to mayo in the cap....

Anyway last week's exciting expedition was to take his injectors for testing to Bob Beck in Leamington to see if they were ok after 16yrs/90k miles....
5 were ok and gave a better spray pattern after cleaning, 1 refused to give a good spray pattern even after 3 splashes in the ultrasonic bath, even though the flow rate was comparable.

Marvellous service - as well as the print of the data they also provided a video of the test before and after, and turned them around same day.... if I can get them out will definitely be taking the injectors from Odyssey (our R75 diesel) for some attention....

I will get the new replacement tested before being installed so I know it is ok before fit - thank you to Best of British in Darlaston for a swift delivery - arrived this morning...

I noticed that one of the OE replacement O rings are different to the originals - the one nearest to the squirty end of the injector now sits on a shoulder further up the injector body and not at the end - has anyone else experienced this?

Is there anything else other than the new inlet manifold gaskets, seals to manifold chamber and the injector O rings that anyone would recommend investigating/changing on rebuild?

Thanks

Paul
RoverBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 10:56   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverBRM View Post
... seals to manifold chamber ...
Hello Paul,

You are the only person I know to have used the correct term for this part!

I have renewed these seals but there was no change in the running of the engine afterwards so I would say, don't bother! Re-use the existing seals.

Weeping coolant into the 'V' is usually from the thermostat housing 'O' ring which flattens. Now is the ideal time to renew them all (available separately). Slide the serrated clips on the straight pipe inwards to allow movement then remove the bolt and lever carefully underneath the strengthened mounting point common to the housing and the curved pipe and with a bit of luck you'll release the whole caboodle without breaking anything!
When it's all back together finish by sliding the serrated clips fully outwards so that the assembly becomes rigid. Since doing this, mine's lasted over three years without leakage (and using 50% OAT).

Simon
Old 16th July 2020, 18:24   #3
RoverBRM

MG ZT 190 se, Rover 75 tourer, Rover 200BRM, Land Rover Freelander 1 & a T4

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply- replacing the thermostat was on the task list and no surprise none of it came off unbroken... in my defence both the elbow and thermostat had been sealed in to place and the remains of the elbow had to be surgically cut from from the block... a big thank you to whoever did that...

Latest fear is the fuel rails and interconnects - metal pipe is loose and a tie wrap holds one of the clips in place... plan to connect them up and run the pump to check for leaks before any further rebuild....I think a new one from Rimmers is over £600... probably explains the tie wrap...

Have a good one,

Paul
RoverBRM is offline   Reply With Quote