Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2017, 10:32   #31
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Thanks, air cleaner is good.
It was suggested that I remove the outer 'cotton wool' to give better airflow. Whilst it may be worth a try I don't think it will sort the issue, the more I think about it an EGR bypass will open up the air duct.
Good plan, as a person commented " EGR is like having a tube up ones rear end and feeding poo back to the mouth"

As far as I'm aware with limited knowledge, re circ of exhaust gasses lowers the fuel burn temperature thus causing excess soot hence, egr's etc need frequent cleaning out..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 10:54   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Good plan, as a person commented " EGR is like having a tube up ones rear end and feeding poo back to the mouth"

As far as I'm aware with limited knowledge, re circ of exhaust gasses lowers the fuel burn temperature thus causing excess soot hence, egr's etc need frequent cleaning out..
Recirculation of the hot exhaust gases, cause the oil (introduced by the turbo) to be carbonised and burnt onto the internal surfaces of the EGR and everything inboard of the EGR, including the intake valve ports. It can cause quite severe restrictions, if cleaning is ignored - as so often happens.

It is good at reducing the emissions when the vehicle is new, but as time progresses and the system chokes up, they turn into a really bad idea - unless maintained. How many cars ever have their EGR's and systems cleaned out? The job doesn't appear on servicing schedules.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 21:27   #33
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
One thing I haven't seen is mention of the airfilter quality or condition. This is by far the largest blockage to air flow in the whole system. A clean air filter is a must.

Now to address the below...

Diesel is an oil and a lubricant .

Cleaner is cleaner? may remove lubricants... or may not - especially if it's an oil.... Not all cleaning fluids are the same, There are a huge variety of cleaners - just for injectors, here is some reading for you... link

Most injector cleaners contain (unsurpisingly) solvents - many of which are carried in an oil derived base....
Suggested the air filter in post 10, but no reply by poster.
Old 7th August 2017, 21:49   #34
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Suggested the air filter in post 10, but no reply by poster.
Please see post #28
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 22:40   #35
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

I still don't agree with shoving zippo fuel through the fuel system..article re modern diesel oil and lubricity Here
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote