Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2017, 15:04   #1
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default A.B.S.problem?

Hi Everyone, my Rover 75 diesel Club saloon has developed a fault with the A.B.S. sensors or module I think. The brake pedal slightly 'shudders' and makes a strange 'pinging sound' when I pull up slowly as if the A.B.S. is being ask to come in. I had this problem about a year ago but was cured by replacing one of the A.B.S. sensors. Now the fault has returned but the Garage and the Auto Electrician cannot solve this problem as they have gone so far but cannot determine whether one of the A.B.S. Sensors or the A.B.S. Module are at fault as they cannot interpret what the car is telling them. It could be deep inside the car said the garage and cost a lot of labour time to repair so I stopped them going any further after paying them £120 for no result. The Garage said they would live with problem if the car was theirs but I'm not sure what to do next. Got any ideas. Regards Ken
Kenneth Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:40   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

You did well to leave that garage !
I would go for some diagnostics ; get the car to someone with a T4 , or if you feel confident yourself then download and use TOAF .Either will tell you which wheel is originating the issue etc .
Hint : If your speedo is still working then it is not front o/s , and if your cruise control is working then it is not the front n/s
Old 22nd July 2017, 16:30   #3
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Wink

As suggested you really need to get the car on a T4 to find out where the fault is, problems with the rear hubs are getting more common, particularly as the back plates rust and rust particles stick to the magnetic ring.
There is a list of T4 operators on here or use the Google search for them, also a lot of threads about ABS problems, again use the Google search for them. It seem very often the rhs rear hub is the main culprit, but you really need T4 to point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 16:45   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Hint : If your speedo is still working then it is not front o/s , and if your cruise control is working then it is not the front n/s
Failure of either, would mean the ABS light would be on and their was no suggestion of that. It sounds like it could be an intermittent sensor issue, working most of the time.

I agree that getting away from the garage was the right thing to do, they would not fill me with confidence.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 16:56   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

A quick run up to see CB750Chris in Pompey will reveal all, however I'm going to go out onto a limb and suggest a plausibility issue with one of your rear wheel bearings being the culprit.

Slowly road testing the car while looking at the live data from the ABS module will pinpoint as well as reading the relevant fault codes

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 19:55   #6
Master
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

As suggested get your car on a T4 otherwise you will end up like me going around in circles & spending money you dont have to
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 19:58   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Im with Brian on this one, rear wheel bearings are well know for causing this fault.
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:23   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Im with Brian on this one, rear wheel bearings are well know for causing this fault.
Most probably the N/S, as it gets all the road debris from kerb-side. This is what my problem was last year, water and puddles seem to aid the corrosion problem, my O/S is in much better shape.

Last edited by Dallas; 23rd July 2017 at 19:52..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:32   #9
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default A.B.S. problem?

Thank you very much everyone for your valuable advice which I will take. Ken
Kenneth Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:42   #10
KOH
Regular poster

Rover 75 Auto Tourer

Default ABS Problem

Ken
I had ABS problems for a few months when i first got my 75 CDTi. sensors all tested ok (using test harness and manually rotating wheels - 38? voltage changes) but changed both rear sensors anyway. Still no better.
Problem resolved by cleaning prongs on ABS fuse in engine bay fuse box.
Passing enough current to pass start-up test but couldn't manage full load when ABS invoked for real?
KOH is offline   Reply With Quote