Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2020, 17:19   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Sagging Headlining (having a go)

As the lining is around half a mm thick I don't think a re-glue (on or off the car) is the answer, the glue will show through etc. So, a few screws and clips and the lining is out of the car, (about half an hour). The orange foam/glue is scraped off and a coarse sanding to remove and flatten the residue has been done. A new piece of material (2mm foam backed) is on it's way from e-bay at £16-95. I'm wondering if a coat of P.V.A. would help adhesion of the spray glue? your thoughts on this please, just thinking a porous surface may not be ideal for fixing the lining to. So that's where I am at the mo, glad I removed it, was pretty easy. All comments welcome, this job will have to be tackled by most of us sooner or later, the car is an 04 facelift.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 18:38   #2
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

PVA (slightly watered down can't hurt).

I have re-glued existing headlining - the trick is to spray on lightly to make sure that it does not soak through, then a heavier coat on the other side, then used a mini paint roller to smooth the material back on when the glue had dried.
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 19:25   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanks for your input, yes, will P.V.A. Never thought of the roller trick, dunno about spraying the actual fabric, could get messy. Glad to be having a go, hoping a quick spray in situ will work doesn't appeal, once the original glue has lost it's bond then it's game over, it has to be recovered.
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:25   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Well, had a go, and it's all good. Got some foam backed headlining from e-bay, 2mm thick, would have been easier if it was a little stretchy. Anyway, all glue/foam removed from headlining, pva brushed on and dried. The fabric was rolled up to start, this allowed around 300mm to be fixed at a time. Spray glued lining and fabric, waited 1 minute. Started at front end and glued down, smoothing around light fitting/visor recesses etc. Progressed at rate of 300mm at a time and left 25 mm all round. Folded around edge in small sections (v cuts) and glued. Looks great, dunno if I'm allowed pics but will try. In summary, this was a job I wasn't looking fwd to, but realise now removal and recover was the only way to go.