Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2011, 11:27   #1
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Default Reversing the Rover 75

Please tell me this; is there a car out there that’s harder to reverse and park than the Rover 75? I don’t know if it’s an age thing with me or not, I’m 68yrs old, and I have driven all types of cars and vans for over 50yrs, and some of them have been longer than the 75 by almost 10feet, but I have never found a car of this size to be so difficult to reverse and park, is it just me or have others found this to be true? Anyway how much would it cost to get reversing sensors put on the car? Can a factory fitting be done so it doesn’t look out of place?

Last edited by bigcar; 2nd November 2011 at 11:33..
bigcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:34   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

I am 79 years old and I dont find reversing the 75 a problem mind you mine is a tourer I dont know if this makes a difference
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:07   #3
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
I am 79 years old and I dont find reversing the 75 a problem mind you mine is a tourer I dont know if this makes a difference
Windrush, I don’t want to take anything away from your driving but, I think it would be a lot easier for me to reverse the tourer than the salon, because you can see where the tourers back ends a lot easier. Although the salons boot is only 3ft long it’s the boots height and angle that makes it (for me) hard to put it relatively close to a car or object behind when reversing, I find it very strange, I could park my last little Rover 25 on a sixpence.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:12   #4
Thorfin
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi & MG ZS 180

I find my current 75 Tourer as easy to reverse as the ZT Saloon we had a year or so ago... Infact I found both slightly easier to reverse than my ZS saloon I had before the tourer... not that that was a difficult car to reverse mind

If your car was a ZT I'd have suggested its possibly because of a reduced turning circle...

Mind you they are much harder to reverse than the box on wheels that is the Series 2a...
Thorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:22   #5
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Reversing

BIGCAR: You are not alone! The rear parking sensors are excellent, you can park it to within 9 inches of the wall every time. There are several aftermarket kits available too which might be easier to fit. I have even seen one advertised which is self contained battery operated.

Last edited by wuzerk; 2nd November 2011 at 13:25..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:54   #6
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Yes, a Lambo Countach!

ps. And I'm not joking! I was valeting one a few years ago in Lyndhurst with my nephew, (who owned the business) and he asked me to reverse it into the garage for cleaning..... No problem I said - yeah right! After getting in and trying to see, you just can't see where the car is - at all! I got out and told him to do it..... Not only that, you cannot hear yourself think with the engine running - AT IDLE - And they are huge!!!

Nah, Rover 75, eyes closed mate, eyes closed....lol.

Last edited by MangoMan; 2nd November 2011 at 15:51..
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:34   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Alex,i fitted a set made by Cisbo,very easy to install, do a search for my thread "Parking sensors fitted" in Feb or march. They are quite neat & very useful.Also,if you're going to Loch Lomond,you can have a look.Ronnie
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:19   #8
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

would any of these reversing camera`s help ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

or these parking sensors , you can just mask them up and spray them the colour of your car before fitting them .. nice and easy to do , the bumper already has the place marked out as to where the sensor fit and the kits come with a drill bit the right size ...http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk..._npmv=3&_rdc=1

Last edited by chrissyboy; 2nd November 2011 at 18:53..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:29   #9
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

They're certainly not the easiest cars to reverse due to the high boot, I find it easier with my BMW and that's a bigger car. Agree with the above, I recommend buying a reversing camera and hooking it up to one of these; a worthwhile purchase.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:36   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcar View Post
Please tell me this; is there a car out there that’s harder to reverse and park than the Rover 75? I don’t know if it’s an age thing with me or not, I’m 68yrs old, and I have driven all types of cars and vans for over 50yrs, and some of them have been longer than the 75 by almost 10feet, but I have never found a car of this size to be so difficult to reverse and park, is it just me or have others found this to be true? Anyway how much would it cost to get reversing sensors put on the car? Can a factory fitting be done so it doesn’t look out of place?
I drive other car all day long and park regularly with just inches to spare, but the 75 is terrible - it provides no reference points and you cannot see anything through the high rear window.

Reversing sensor kits can be had from ebay for £15 and up, well worth it in my opinion.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote