Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th September 2012, 14:47   #71
tinbasher

mg zt-t-cdti

Default parking

how about one of those magnifying lenses you can buy that goes in the back window,,just a thought
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 15:55   #72
hogweed
I really should get out more.......

Vauxhall Insignia CDTi; MG TF 135

Just a thought... how do you disable the existing system once you fit the new one? Is there a fuse somewhere? And does the ECU object, as I've heard here that the reversing control unit is keyed to it...
hogweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 20:50   #73
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
Just a thought... how do you disable the existing system once you fit the new one? Is there a fuse somewhere? And does the ECU object, as I've heard here that the reversing control unit is keyed to it...
So far as I know, it will not object - I blew its fuse a couple of years ago and there were no objections, it just didn't work. Rather than the fuse, which from memory is shared with other things, just unplug the unit at the rear.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2012, 21:07   #74
hogweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
So far as I know, it will not object - I blew its fuse a couple of years ago and there were no objections, it just didn't work. Rather than the fuse, which from memory is shared with other things, just unplug the unit at the rear.
Ah, OK - just unplug the control unit you mean... otherwise I expect it'd beep all the time, as its sensors wouldn't be connected any more!
Old 13th September 2012, 21:22   #75
lynes6098

75, 2000 reg, 1.8 non turbo

Wink Salon reversingH

I can understand how it would be so hard to reverse a salon, all of those ****** hairdryers and women getting blue rinses would get in the way, my. Saloon is much easier to reverse!

Last edited by Dragrad; 18th September 2012 at 00:30.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
lynes6098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 14:39   #76
hogweed

Thanks so much to French Mike for recommending this, and for everyone’s help as always… well, after two years trying to fix my Rover’s system, I gave up and ordered one of these about 10 to 4 on Thursday; I received it on Friday.

Two hours of today later, I now have a working parking sensor system. How well it works remains to be seen, but initial testing suggests it’s not a lot different from the OEM system.

If you've never had your rear bumper off, get somebody to help you – I've done it so many times now I can whip it off (and the more difficult bit, put it back on again) in a jiffy myself. After that, if you take it easy (not really my nature, but I managed it this time), it’s not too hard.

A good place to fit the beeper is up through one of the holes in the metal pressing at the top of the boot. These are put there by Rover so that the avalanche of water getting through the rear screen can drain into the boot and fill the tyre well up, so be sure you put the beeper out of the water flow…

I did have a couple of issues:

1. On my car, the reversing light wire is green and brown. It’s the one right at the end of the connector anyway;
  2. If you're using this setup to replace the original one, the sensors are loose in the holes, so you’ll have to wind tape round them as I did to make them a better fit.

Off out now to the supermarket car park to reverse into a few cars

Oh yes, almost forgot to vent my spleen – when I originally entertained foolish thoughts that the OEM system might be fixable by anyone other than God, I bought a brand new sensor from someone on eBay and it cost me £20 or £25. This ENTIRE SYSTEM cost £16.50 with free postage.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:13   #77
hogweed

Knew it was too good to be true... after all that, the system is stone dead after only two weeks

Is it (as is usually the case) just my jinx, or has anybody else had such problems?
Old 29th September 2012, 17:27   #78
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Probably just a loose wire,mine sometimes does this,just give them a jiggle
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 17:48   #79
hogweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Probably just a loose wire,mine sometimes does this,just give them a jiggle
Hhmmm, but they're all in behind the boot carpet trim thingy... I'll try, but it's going to be a total pain if it does that every 2 weeks!

You mean wiggle the connectors where they plug into the computer thing?
Old 29th September 2012, 18:36   #80
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Yep,those plugs aren't very good,any slight knock & they seem to disconnect themselves.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote