Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2011, 10:22   #31
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

After 2 years of having the zt this is the first time I have heard of sinking pedal problem? What is it
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 11:15   #32
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Hi There!

Just finished fitting a set of 190 (bigger front discs and vented rears) to my CDTI

Obviously needed to bleed the brakes so attached my preasure bleeder its an electric one with a 2ltr tank and did the std furthest from the master cylinder type routine first without using the brake pedal tried for pedal preasure and fine until I started the engine and the pedal sank to the floor in about 5 secs HMMMMM!!!

Did it again but this time gave the pedal 5 strokes per corner with the preasure bleeder running locked it all off and tried again with the same result!!

Intended to give it a quick run up the road in the dark (its Sorned until monday when I can run it in for its retest) so stuck the wheels on while talking to "Clickernick" then got side tracked by SWMBO in to food and Telly! after he left!

Brings us to this morning reading the site for some idears and I find the post above (about having the ignition on and/or the motor running) so as I was going to do an oil/filter change (and possibly G/Box oil) today I shall stick it back on the jacks and remove the wheels and try it again!!

I shall try it on pos 2 first and see!! - if that doesnt work I will redo with the engine running! - and report back!!

I will say that having fitted many new sets of pads/discs/calipers etc I was ready for them to feel a "bit soft" until they all bed in due to heat and use etc!! but not to the floor!! and yes I had used hose clamps etc to prevent air getting into the lines!! AND I dont remember it doing it before !! (its been off the road 6 weeks while getting the insurance repair and an all over spray job done so I could just be a bit hazy!!)

Watch this space!!!!

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 19:57   #33
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Back Again!!

Right I tried both ways - ignition pos2 first with no improvement and with the engine running ! - still no change other than the ABS warning light coming on!! followed by a certain amount of rude words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried a battery reset while I had a cuppa and trawl through the site on the subject of ABS resets!! 2 options seemed to be offered!! a battery reset (which I was already trying) and the opinion that the car needed to be driven for the system to see that there was no fault before putting the light out!!

Reconecting the battery after my cuppa showed no change sadly!!

I had a worrying hour or so while I finished of the oil and filter change and also the G/Box oil change - remember I have the MOT Retest to do in the morning!!

However having refitted the wheels and the under tray (with some new fasteners and clips) I only had to do 50 yards up the road for the ABS light to disapear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The brakes happily only need a very light touch to prove very effective!!!

IMHO!! Bleeding in the normal way (with or without a preasure bleeder although it does make it a easy/quick and single handed operation) is all that can be done without the use of a T4 - and with out risk of triggering ABS lights!

Please bear in mind that I still have the SPP!! the pedal IS rock hard without the engine running however!!

I feel a trip to see the nearest T4 owner may well be on the books once funds and time allows to see if using the T4 to rebleed the system will cure the fault !!

Please remember that the above is simply my experiances today and in no way implies anything about other comments or posts!!!!

Andy

Right I know!!

Last edited by Trophy Blue Tourer; 20th March 2011 at 20:02..
Old 21st March 2011, 07:44   #34
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Thankss very much for your post on this matter Andy :-)

I've just done my brakes all round, last week, including handbrake shoes. I then did a pressure bleed of the brakes (without ignition switch on and without engine running) and have exactly the same outcome as you.

This post has saved me rebleeding with the above variations :-)

My car passed it's MOT last Thusday.

Good luck with your MOT!

Tommy
Old 21st March 2011, 20:17   #35
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Alright Andy???!!!! Good ere ,,init!!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:43   #36
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Hi Nick!!

Yeh good here! terrible time waster though!!

As the Mrs has made sure to point out!!

Sorry!!
Andy
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:55   #37
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
After 2 years of having the zt this is the first time I have heard of sinking pedal problem? What is it
No one know then?
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 19:03   #38
xantiaman
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 SALOON 2.0 v6 connoisseur

just out of interest what do rover charge for this service?
xantiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 20:58   #39
thebiglad
Regular poster

75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Tourer

Surely you can actuate the abs pump by proving a supply to the abs relay.

I've done this loads of times with LR Discoverys using my Hawkeye tool - all it does is actuate the abs relay.
thebiglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 08:10   #40
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Sinking pedal

With reference to diesels,(I know nothing about petrol models) the sinking pedal when engine is running is normal. It should not sink if the engine is off. The MOT stations have all received notification of this and it should not be a failure point. My theory is that since the vacuum generated for the brake system is done with a pump on the diesels and Any pump should have a relief valve in it somewhere to prevent damage so, perhaps the sinking is when this valve is doing its job? It will not occur when the engine is not on since the vacuum pump is not working then?

Last edited by wuzerk; 10th February 2012 at 08:22..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote