Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th October 2020, 08:10   #11
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I don't think the cars electronics failing is in the mind of most people either they don't consider it, or they will be shot of the car in only a couple of years from new. macafee2
Which is, of course, exactly how the car manufacturers like it. Lots of turnover, lots of sales, lots of profit and lots of £££'s being spent on "servicing" - £225/hour . Sometimes I wonder if there's a massive "club" where they all get together and decide how long stuff is going to last 'cus they know that one of them will pick up a sale and they don't really care who it is.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 19th October 2020 at 08:15..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 10:39   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

No Andy, not old and cynical, just telling it how it is. I think people are earning to much money and don’t know how to spend it.I think there will be a lot of people with egg on their face within a couple of years. £25/50,000 for a vehicle is common place now. When the economy has really tanked and there are millions unemployed, plus no jobs about, then you will see who the clever folk are. And no, I won’t be selling my car for a song to help them out. The prices charge for services are ridiculous. Greed comes to mind, but as long people pay it, they will keep shoving prices up.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:08   #13
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
No Andy, not old and cynical, just telling it how it is. I think people are earning to much money and don’t know how to spend it.I think there will be a lot of people with egg on their face within a couple of years. £25/50,000 for a vehicle is common place now. When the economy has really tanked and there are millions unemployed, plus no jobs about, then you will see who the clever folk are. And no, I won’t be selling my car for a song to help them out. The prices charge for services are ridiculous. Greed comes to mind, but as long people pay it, they will keep shoving prices up.
Unfortunately it's often the case that the servicing done at those eye watering hourly rates isn't always the solution. Over many years I've been disappointed with so many jobs. You end up doing it yourself and being quite shocked sometimes at the short cuts taken, wrong components being replaced due to incorrect diagnosis etc. I paid out a lot to have the discs done on the V8 very recently. It went like a train on a journey to Plymouth last weekend, but there was a shimmy in the braking that shouldn't be there. Here we go again. I'll have to whip off the wheels and check the run out etc for myself. It'll be interesting to see what I find. If I had no mechanical knowledge or interest, I'd have been forced to sell all of the fleet years ago and buy into the £40-60k new car scene and throw it away at the end of the PCP contract like so many folk now seem to think is normal.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 17:18   #14
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post

Unemployment will be endemic if nothing is done, The (CBI) have just stated that 9 in 10 British workers will have to retrain as jobs will be lost to technology/automation within the next decade. https://nationaltechnology.co.uk/Aut...eskill_CBI.php

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 11:33   #15
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Ouch! JLR facing £90million emissions fine for failing to meet it's CO2 reduction targets. https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/jl...ine-in-europe/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 12:01   #16
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Ouch! JLR facing £90million emissions fine for failing to meet it's CO2 reduction targets. https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/jl...ine-in-europe/

Time to sell that Rover marque to a British investor then 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2021, 18:26   #17
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

In the last 2 years I've had an s type and an x type Jag. S type 2.7 diesel comfortable, lovely to drive, unreliable and seriously corroded. X type 2.2 diesel, agricultural, very unreliable, harsh ride, corroded sills and noisy at low speeds. My 75 cdti 131, in my opinion, is a much better car. More reliable and far more comfortable although performance is akin to a snail.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2021, 18:41   #18
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
In the last 2 years I've had an s type and an x type Jag. S type 2.7 diesel comfortable, lovely to drive, unreliable and seriously corroded. X type 2.2 diesel, agricultural, very unreliable, harsh ride, corroded sills and noisy at low speeds. My 75 cdti 131, in my opinion, is a much better car. More reliable and far more comfortable although performance is akin to a snail.
What about a 160 remap then if she is sluggish - message Big Russ.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2021, 18:55   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
Either there is a problem with your car, or, my car is not just 131 BHP, or, your driving is of a unnecessarily fast pace.

If my CDTi is just that, I see no reason for needing, not the same as wanting, more power unless the caravan is on the back.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 02:14   #20
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

We just bought my wife a 2020 Subaru Outback after the engine failed (common problem) on her Kia Sportage. There are so many electronics in the car that we felt we had to spring for the $3000. extended warranty. Just the thought of the cost to replace the massive touchscreen terrifies me. The car runs well but all of the nanny bells, whistles and on-screen warnings drive me mad, never mind the auto start-stop!
I am happy with my old MGR cars. Just the right amount of electronics and very little in the way of nanny gadgets that can't be turned off.