Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2013, 13:15   #1
drewsta82
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t+ 2.5 v6 177 bhp

Default remap ecu on mg zt v6

I fancy a bit more ooooomph out my v6 by remapping the ecu. Does anyone know of someone in the west midlands that's cheap and good?? Tried my usual bloke who has done my other cars but won't do the mg cause its too fiddly. Where is the port in the car where I can hook up a scan tool? Many thanks Scott
drewsta82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:21   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsta82 View Post
I fancy a bit more ooooomph out my v6 by remapping the ecu. Does anyone know of someone in the west midlands that's cheap and good?? Tried my usual bloke who has done my other cars but won't do the mg cause its too fiddly. Where is the port in the car where I can hook up a scan tool? Many thanks Scott
Hello Scott, may I respectfully observe, that if you don't know the location of the J1962 port on the car, DIY remapping may be a little adventurous

If your car is a 160, then 177 will be reasonably achievable, can I suggest Terry Shaw of TS AUTOS

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:22   #3
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

The OBD2 Port is to the right of your knee under the dash, pop your head down there in the driver foot well and you will see it.

Last edited by Anthony & Maricel; 13th January 2013 at 13:24..
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:31   #4
russell brown
Loves to post

mg zt cdti,mgf steptronic, citroen dispatch, ssangyong musso

i have a kwp2000plus which i used to remap my c5hdi but would like to know if it would work on the rover without bricking the ecu, it worked on my zafira and believe it to be compatible with a lot of cars if it is im in dudley and happy to help with having email remap and diy flash to keep your costs down
Old 13th January 2013, 13:36   #5
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

ISO9141-2 is the protocol MGR used
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:55   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell brown View Post
i have a kwp2000plus which i used to remap my c5hdi but would like to know if it would work on the rover without bricking the ecu, it worked on my zafira and believe it to be compatible with a lot of cars if it is im in dudley and happy to help with having email remap and diy flash to keep your costs down
T4 can I say that? is the only machine recognised by MG/Rover cars,for diagnostic,and remapping work.
Old 13th January 2013, 14:10   #7
drewsta82
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t+ 2.5 v6 177 bhp

Well I've had the car only a week and not needed to know where the port it. I was only asking for future reference as I did not receive a manual with the car.
drewsta82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:20   #8
russell brown
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
T4 can I say that? is the only machine recognised by MG/Rover cars,for diagnostic,and remapping work.
aware of t4 needed for diagnostics and unlocking certain features, however with the recent interest of obd bluetooth adaptors and android tablets being used to monitor cars information.
it begs the question can other devices designed for obd such as galleto or kwp2000 can i say that be used for simple things as flashing an emailed ecu map. obviously its not only t4 that can be recognised by the car but
depends on what you want to do with the connection. flashing ecu (from reputable company!!!!) via email is considerably cheaper and easier than paying some else to connect there device....more of i know how it is on other cars but interested to know why this one car is different.
Old 13th January 2013, 14:28   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell brown View Post
Won't work with the V6 , I'm fairly certain you're not going to find any £30 ebay devices to do what the OP wishes to do .
T4 works in a completely different way to things such as KWP, in the way the flash memory is written.

T4 will erase the flash, followed by writing in blocks, verifying each component of data before writing the next, and if the data flow is interrupted for whatever reason, will hold the ECM safely in "programming mode"

KWP in comparison will write to the flash in "page at once mode", no data verification, no comeback if the ECM is "bricked".

So in terms of DIY remaps, "you pays your money and takes your chances"
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:39   #10
russell brown
Loves to post

i have used my kwp on my c5 hdi which has bosch edc15c2 and my zafira which has siemens however only rover 75 i can find listed on there website is bosch edcdde4.0 cdt/i
as to regards to "pays your money" all a kwp does is connect two devices much like an hdmi or scart lead does on a tv.
it allows maps created to be placed onto ecu as marina brian explained. it really is just a fancy usb lead if you like#
where you have to be really careful and im sure you experts would agree is the map you buy MUST be purchased from a VERY REPUTABLE company.
on the c5 i emailed a company well recommended on most forums for that car (midland remaps-wolverhampton) my current ecu map the next morning i got an email from company with attached ecu map which was then downloaded to car it took power up considerably.#
it was supposed to have 110bhp but on rolling road only had 102 after map it was 128 i have recently upgraded intercooler so dont know if that will make any difference to figures has certainly made a better towing car.
thanks for the info im sorry i cant help op then and certainly know a bit more.
but i do agree you must spend the extra on good quality work as a bricked ecu is a mother to put right,

Last edited by russell brown; 13th January 2013 at 14:43..
russell brown is offline   Reply With Quote