Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th March 2021, 11:52   #1
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Smile Clutch ( or other) Advice please

In terms of miles , at 60K my clutch gave up and I had a new kit from DMGRS fitted together with a new Dual Mass flywheel. I remember that the garage had great difficulty in fitting a particular part – eventually finding that they had been given the wrong one by a local supplier , after which things seemed fine. At around 80K miles it became increasingly hard to shift gears ( manual diesel Saloon) – I resorted to double declutching . The car has now been SORN’ed for many months but I am determined to get it back on the road this year and would appreciate some advice.
If it IS the clutch I am thinking of progressing kit thus :-
• Clutch – I am inclined to go for the Borg&Beck kit with the LUK Slave from DMGRS . This was fitted at 60K and I still think a new one will be ok – I very much suspect I have a fault arising from the ‘fitters and their fitting’ rather than an inherent kit fault!
• Master Cylinder - I do not have a record of a new one being fitted last time but would go for an all Metal one from DMGRS this time
• Dual Mass Flywheel – my records suggest that a new LUK one was fitted with the Clutch at 60K. I have read in various club threads that these are pretty solid , reliable things and I would aim to continue with the one now in place. I understand symptoms of these failing mostly appear in terms of ‘shaking /vibration’ – of which I have none. Views most welcome on this costly item. What signs of DMF failure might a garage report?
I will obviously get this car down to my usual , local , garage for an initial diagnosis - they did not do the fitting at 60K and have looked after my other cars very well . I am not an expert in this technical area however and would therefore appreciate observations on :-
• My notes on the Clutch items listed above
• What signs of fault / wear relating to the problem the garage might be able to inform me of. The better I know the area the better my discussions with them
• Might it be possible , in addition to the DMF , to reuse other parts of the Clutch components ?
• Any other aspects of the car that might relate to the Gear change fault ie might it NOT be a clutch failure ? After all , for a new clutch to fail after just 20K miles is hard to stack up ??.
All the best

Last edited by Rickshaw; 4th March 2021 at 11:54.. Reason: used two the the !
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote