Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2020, 07:02   #21
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

I have just done the wifes saloon,
subframe £165 New
Top arms £65 each from stock
bottom arms £38 each new
HT bolts for arms times 8 from stock £1.75 each from stock

All stock items are items I have bought when new on offer:
this was the total cost of parts for replacing the rear subframe last month

It should be noted that the springs, shocks, backplates, calipers, discs, pads, shoes, cables, pipes and hoses had been done at the begining of lockdown as part of normal preventative maintainance. when doing the work I notices the fuel tank strap will need to be replaced doing it this month cost £64 new
hope this information helps

Re rust convertors after application and either washing the acid off with large amounts of water or waiting the prescribed time the metal treated then needs to be primed then painted. you should then realy protect your item with wax to protect it from wear and tear. remember to reapply the wax proctection to the under side of the car every three or four years.
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 05:17   #22
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Third time lucky for trying to leave a post on this: I have movet Roxy cat from undre my arms at the Key board. so I now cant blame her.
Beautiful: before I retired subframes and chassis from project cars were fully stripped and sent away to the shot blasters when they came back the were inspected for dammage and that dammage was repaired. in the case of classic chassis we usualy added mounting plates for seat belts so the cars were safer to drive with a driver restraint system.
We then shotblast the areas we had worked on before sending the part to the galvanizers to be galvanized upon return all threaded parts had taps or dies run up them to clean the threads then all new bushes were pressed into the finnished part if the part was to be painted this would happen before any further work would continue once the part was fully assembled ready to go back to where it came from it was treated with cavity wax and self healing pannel wax on the surfaces that were exposed. we would re wax the under side of a car every three to four years.
it is at times like this I wish I had kept the photographs and not sent them with the finished car back to their owner.
We were very lucky being close to the old ship yards on the River Clyde there were shops that could Pickle and Galvanize parts up to 25 feet long and the bath was ten feet deep this ment there was not much we worked on that they could not treat for us.
It is so nice to see members doing a home job to such high standards I have to confess the last subframe I replaced was just a new part wax treated. when I come to do the spice tourer I will buy new frames but send them For shot blasting and Galvanizing before painting then treating with wax prior to fitting. I know its over kill But I am hoping this car when finished will be better than it was when it rolled off the production line. in 2004.
Keep up the good work everybody. I find it very sad that our cars are dissappering so quickly from the roads. I can never understand why people are happy to spend £300+ every month for over 40 years to have their new car on the drive when if they were to kook after one car properly from new they would never reach the level of expenditure they do on their modern euro box. and they would own a classic car.

Not only that but the natural resorces required to build a car and the pollution generated would be greatly reduced.

thus doing your bit to save the planet.
Great Photographs guys keep up the good work.
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2020, 05:03   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
Nice to know these sub-frames can be sorted at not too great a cost...I will remember to put that in my selling advert!

Much as I love my Rover, and have lavished loads of dosh on it over my ownership, I think I'll have to let it go for a small petrol car; these days it only gets used for very short journeys to the supermarket, which is not the best use of a diesel engine like this one.

Next up...probably a Fiat Panda...100hp of course... If that doesn't work out, I can always return having seen the error of my ways
A Panda 100hp?

From a 75 to an 100hp, boy you will wonder whats hit you!

We had one a few years ago, the most uncomfortable car we have ever had. We sold it in less that 12 months because the ride was shocking! Imagine driving a car with no suspension, and even that would be more comfortable!

Quite a lively little car, but horrible ride.

Oh I forgot to mention, trying to keep it in one lane on the motorway was nigh on impossible. Even at 70 it required both hands on the wheel, gripping tight and fighting to keep it in one lane.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 5th October 2020 at 05:08..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote