Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2020, 18:33   #1
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default CDTI Oil change on ramps.

Evening all,

Going to service my 05 CDTI this weekend.
The only way I can get under the car to get the sump plug undone is to drive it up 2 of them blue under wheel ramps (front wheels only).
My question is, with the sump plug being at the back of the sump horizontily. Will this drain all the oil out? with the car being on a slant will it be an issue.
I plan to put 6l rather than 6.75l and use the dipstick to top up accordingly.

Thanks people
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 19:02   #2
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, that will drain all the oil out because the slant will be in the right direction. I changed mine by jacking up the front and putting it on axle stands and taking the front right wheel off so I could reach underneath. Filled up with the car back on the ground, started with 6 L and allowed it to settle.
Vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 20:50   #3
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantheman View Post
Yes, that will drain all the oil out because the slant will be in the right direction. I changed mine by jacking up the front and putting it on axle stands and taking the front right wheel off so I could reach underneath. Filled up with the car back on the ground, started with 6 L and allowed it to settle.
Thanks mate much appareciated. Just discovered after nearly 2 years can pop the boot by holding the unlock om the key. It's the car that keeps on giving!
Old 16th September 2020, 21:00   #4
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Don’t forget to cover the alternator with a plastic bag when changing the oil filter to save tears later !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 00:01   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Don’t forget to cover the alternator with a plastic bag when changing the oil filter to save tears later !

I did a service on a local members car Friday week gone, i put rags over the alternator

Only remove the oil filter cap after you have drained the oil out of the sump, even them undo and lift lightly so the oil in the pot can drain down before removing the filter its self.

I like to then retighten the cap a little more than you would when fitting the new oil filter, this then twists the filter and it remains in the cap when removing it, i put it into a little container i have ready by the filter housing.

There is very little oil left in the pot.

Which is then mopped out with some extra rags.

Fit the new filter into the pot.

Put the cap back on and tighten to the required amount on top of the cap 25.5Nm

Another quip tip make sure you fit the new seal/ O-ring into the right place on the filter cap.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 05:34   #6
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Don't forget to lubricate the new o ring with fresh engine oil before replacing the cap.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 22:04   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Evening all,

Going to service my 05 CDTI this weekend.
The only way I can get under the car to get the sump plug undone is to drive it up 2 of them blue under wheel ramps (front wheels only).
My question is, with the sump plug being at the back of the sump horizontily. Will this drain all the oil out? with the car being on a slant will it be an issue.
I plan to put 6l rather than 6.75l and use the dipstick to top up accordingly.

Thanks people
Been doing mine for over ten years with a PELA pump.

Obviously the engine likes it and uses no oil between oil changes.

By the time you get your car up on the ramps after fighting with the under-tray and blood pressure in your head I will have got most of the old oil out of the engine even though I've not been there but away making a cup of tea.

Five minutes max taking out the old oil filter ( With a bit of cloth around it in case of oil spill ) and fitting the new one.

Fill with new oil. ( a couple of minutes ) and the job is done.

By this stage you might have got round to removing the over tightened sump plug and had hot oil run down your arm and into your arm pit.
You drag yourself back out from that danger zone under the car trying to brush off all that dirt sticking to your back and hair.---

Remember that by this time I've locked up my car and gone in to watch the tele.--

You ,however, have almost reached half way on your oil and filter change.-

You also have to add the time taken in the shower to remove the grime that's sticking all over you.
( That under-tray was a real curse trying to hold it up with your knees as you tried to fit the fixing bolts back in.)

I won't go on because you are getting more and more stressed by it all.

PS. I forgot to say but I was due to go out somewhere important after so had been wearing my suit during the oil change.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 22:54   #8
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

I can't see why not, I would do it that way too, and indeed I did so while I had the car on ramps last week.

I also took the time to replace the fixings on the undertray with M6 bolts pointing downwards, locked to the subframe with nuts, and domed washers and a further M6 nut to secure the sandwich in place.

The result was quite good, you can now remove and refit the undertray with ease, and check to make sure there are no hidden leaks while it is off.

Make sure you obtain a new sump plug washer, the part number is ALU1403.......I believe the V6 has the same washer as the diesel.

The only thing I will say, now this may be as a result of my car having a factory premium bumper fitted, you may need low entry ramps to clear the leading lower edge of the bumper.

Take care and have fun !!
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 19:24   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I can't see why not, I would do it that way too, and indeed I did so while I had the car on ramps last week.

I also took the time to replace the fixings on the undertray with M6 bolts pointing downwards, locked to the subframe with nuts, and domed washers and a further M6 nut to secure the sandwich in place.

The result was quite good, you can now remove and refit the undertray with ease, and check to make sure there are no hidden leaks while it is off.

Make sure you obtain a new sump plug washer, the part number is ALU1403.......I believe the V6 has the same washer as the diesel.

The only thing I will say, now this may be as a result of my car having a factory premium bumper fitted, you may need low entry ramps to clear the leading lower edge of the bumper.

Take care and have fun !!
Keep the same ramps to give you the height but put a bit of sturdy wood on the front of each to give you a gentle run up.

Sump washer. I'm not saying anything against you worthy suggestion.-- However, in 60 years of fiddling with cars I have NEVER fitted a new sump washer and there have been no oil leaks.---( lucky or what. Lol. )

Well done with the work on the under-tray. I see you take no prisoners.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 17:09   #10
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Whey just finished a service and will never order a kit off ebay again. Wrong sized sump washer and fuel filter didn't fit. I strayed but MGRS will have my custom hense forth.
Draining oil was a bit of a pain the waps I must admit. Oil all over and what not. My only concern with those PELA pumps is the sludge left in the bottom of the sump? and how do you know of youve got ALL pf the manky old oil out?? for £40 I'm thinking of takong a punt.