Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2020, 20:33   #1
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Default Possible Fuel Filter Syndrome

My ZT-T has developed a new issue recently which I’m assuming may be FFS. At least that’s what I’m going to investigate.

Today I used the car for a trip to Kielder Forest the car was suffering with a very slight miss at around 2800 - 3000 RPM. Not all of the time just occasionally, usually after coming off the throttle to slow down for a bend and then suffering the slight stutter when coming back on throttle.

Also when first started from cold it just seems a bit off. The idle isn’t smooth, once it’s ran for a short while it idles fine. Again though it’s not always like that, it can be fine for days.

The cars just recently had the entire ignition system renewed (plugs, coils & leads). I fitted these myself and the plugs are gapped to suit the 1.8T at 0.6mm as widely recommended. This cured a totally separate misfire it had, but now I have this new issue.

I don’t know if the cars ever had a FOC fitted. I’m going to take a look to rule it out. I’ve ordered a clip (it’s now white not orange) so I have it to hand just in case my car doesn’t have it when I take the filter out to check. I’m not doing the job twice.

I’m hoping this issue is the beginnings of FFS as I seriously doubt the fault lies with the ignition system it’s all new. I’ve had no issues starting the engine at all, but from what research I’ve done it sounds like the filter can start to cause these problems before the engine eventually can’t start.

TBH this car has done nothing but try my patience ever since buying it. As soon as I fix one issue another one develops. I’m hoping for a simple fix - fingers crossed.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 20:48   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Normally FFS just causes a non start, or a failure when running, I have not come across a slight misfire due to FFS, did you fit genuine coil packs when you renewed the ignition system? I have seen some new coil packs break down within a few weeks of fitting.
Old 28th September 2020, 20:51   #3
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Yes I did they are the NEC coils as originally fitted.

I’ve read other threads where a slight loss of power or hesitation were early signs of the filter issue. Either way it’s probably worth checking it anyway as it rules it out altogether.
Old 28th September 2020, 21:02   #4
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

I agree with Andy, when I encountered FFS the car simply would not start, there was no hint of misfire leading up to the filter separating either.

I wonder if it is possible water being ingested through the inlet manifold, or possibly a breach in the fire rings perhaps?

It might be worth taking out your spark plugs and comparing them to see if any are a slightly different colour.

Best of luck finding the problem
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 21:08   #5
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I agree with Andy, when I encountered FFS the car simply would not start, there was no hint of misfire leading up to the filter separating either.

I wonder if it is possible water being ingested through the inlet manifold, or possibly a breach in the fire rings perhaps?

It might be worth taking out your spark plugs and comparing them to see if any are a slightly different colour.

Best of luck finding the problem
I did think about this, but I’d expect it to be loosing coolant if it was ingesting it via the inlet manifold. It doesn’t loose any coolant. It also has a VVC manifold rather than the plastic type.

I changed both the oil and coolant within the last couple of weeks and both were clean with no signs of any untoward issues.

The old plugs which I very recently took out looked healthy.

Last edited by Mean & Green; 28th September 2020 at 21:27..
Old 29th September 2020, 10:34   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If you have a 1.8 that doesn't have the orange clip fitted, then I'd suggest you fit one anyway. MGR were advising service depots to install the fix to later models as a matter of course (there's a recall notice or technical bulletin somewhere on the forum). In my own case, hesitant driving preceded the classic non-start condition by a couple of days. I refer to this phase as 'Incipient FFS', but it doesn't happen in every case. Usually, the first sympton is an engine that won't start.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 11:48   #7
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My 1.8 started with an occasional misfire, then a couple of incidents when engine management light came on, then hitting 3000 rpm it would hit a brick wall until revs dropped. Took it to garage showing misfire on all 4 cylinders, cleared error codes and mechanic drove it for around 5 miles only a very slight misfire then everything cleared and it was ok again.
A week later, no start, garage came out, dead petrol pump! New pump from DMGRS and now waiting for garage to change it.
Hopefully will fix it.
Brunty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 12:26   #8
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If you have a 1.8 that doesn't have the orange clip fitted, then I'd suggest you fit one anyway. MGR were advising service depots to install the fix to later models as a matter of course (there's a recall notice or technical bulletin somewhere on the forum). In my own case, hesitant driving preceded the classic non-start condition by a couple of days. I refer to this phase as 'Incipient FFS', but it doesn't happen in every case. Usually, the first sympton is an engine that won't start.

TC
This is my thinking. I don’t know if it has one fitted, so I’ve ordered one and when I take the filter out to investigate I can then fit it if it’s missing. May as well rule it out altogether and have the piece of mind that it’s done.

It may not be my issue, but I just don’t think the occasional drop in power yesterday was ignition related. I’ll find out soon enough.
Old 5th October 2020, 16:22   #9
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

My clip has arrived, but due to the horrid weather haven’t been able to investigate.

Funnily enough though ever since posting this thread the car has behaved. No issues at all.