Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2020, 21:32   #11
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post

I've always treated the V6 as my fun car as it replaced a Stag, and I only use it around town. However yesterday I thought it deserved a decent run so we took it on a 200 mile round motorway trip. (mpg 35.3; diesel would have been maybe 42mpg on a similar run).

Dave
My ZTT just delivered 22mpg. I consistently get 25mpg on similar runs with the V8. Clearly need to investigate. V8 has done 70k and the ZTT 140k. The Viz motors were upgraded. Any suggestions for low hanging fruit
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 21:50   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Had my Scimitar GTE for 13 years with that engine. Best of both with low down grunt and it would rev happily when pushed. Lovely to drive as a manual with overdrive. Yes I miss it.

Yep I had a Scimitar with the Essex V6 lump back in the day. Cracking engine and a relatively light car - went very well together.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 00:51   #13
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

My neighbour just treated himself to a one year old BMW 3 series with a 2 litre diesel engine. I blithely mentioned to him "I see it has the same engine as my Tourer!" I think his is the 4 wheel drive M sport...0-62mph in under 7 seconds, 8 speed auto gearbox, and still returns over 50mpg!

Not quite the same engine as mine then...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 07:03   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default KV6 performance: tips

For KV6 owners who are worried about the performance of their engines, it's not only a case of fitting new VIS actuators. There are actually four things to check which affect engine response dramatically:
  1. One or both VIS actuators faulty. This is the easy one which everyone tackles.
  2. The balance flap sticks, usually in the mid position, causing poor mid range response and hill climbing. It requires easing using fine abrasive paper.
  3. The power valve linkage can become disconnected from the actuator drive (possibly due to a failed or previously incorrectly fitted actuator, it's not inherently unreliable).
  4. Blocked crankcase breather. There's a pinhole restriction in the cam cover of each bank which becomes blocked with carbon. The RH cover requires much dismantling to access which makes it one of those jobs which owners will do another day.

If all four of these items are attended to, your KV6 will perform superbly and put a huge smile on your face.

Simon
Old 29th September 2020, 07:29   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what about the sound of a V6, this has to be better then a Diesel?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 18:31   #16
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The 2.5 V6 needs revving to get the best out of it and the automatic usually insists on changing up too early (even in sport mode) making acceleration a bit of a struggle at times, unless you shift manually or boot it. I don't know about the Diesel, but on the V6, the gearbox also habitually locks at around 68 MPH in Drive just when you don't want it to, so on motorways, I often don't let it go above 4th until I've reached 70-75. For sheer smoothness and ease of driving though, it beats the Diesel auto IMO. The V6's fuel consumption, admittedly, is far poorer; I never push mine and I rarely get much better than an average 28 MPG all round (mixed urban and motorway). I think both engines would definitely benefit from being married to a more modern automatic gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I've possibly been fortunate in being able to run a Tourer diesel (remapped 160; 135Kmiles) for the last 7 years plus a V6 2.5 (90K). They are both in fine fettle, both autos, and have almost identical specs, though the Tourer doesn't have the TV. (Come to think of it the V6 doesn't either).
I've always treated the V6 as my fun car as it replaced a Stag, and I only use it around town. However yesterday I thought it deserved a decent run so we took it on a 200 mile round motorway trip. (mpg 35.3; diesel would have been maybe 42mpg on a similar run).

Sadly I found it a poor second as at 70mph - and a smidgeon possibly beyond - it just seemed hard work (Yes the VIS motors are working) whereas the Tourer just eats up the miles and always seems eager to push on with little effort and particularly in Sports mode, will happily zoom off.
So if I were starting all over again I just wouldn't bother with a V6, just plump for a re-mapped diesel, and enjoy a far more satisfying drive.

Dave
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 20:29   #17
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Definitely something amiss if you are running out of puff at 70.
I usually take it pretty steady but on the odd occasion I've had the opportunity it actually seems to really get into its stride as the revs get up above 3k.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 20:35   #18
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Mine is quite happy at speeds at or around the NSL, but I bet the exhaust note hasn't factored into the comparison with the diesel...........because the V6 wins over that every time........

They are simply different, diesels are all about torque, whereas V6 are all about smooth delivery of power in a statesmanlike fashion.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 21:11   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I drive very steadily (ex HGV and hearse driver!) but on the odd occasions that I have let the old girl (V6 auto) have her head (Oops!) she growls like a lioness, kicks me in the pants and gives most Euroboxes a run for their money. I have done all the bits as advised above by the way! Sport mode makes it sound even better (how do I know that?).
Old 29th September 2020, 22:31   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
The 2.5 V6 needs revving to get the best out of it and the automatic usually insists on changing up too early (even in sport mode) making acceleration a bit of a struggle at times ....
Hi David,

Once you've carried out the maintenance I described in post no. 14 you'll notice a transformation. Remember also that the automatic gearbox is (allegedly) "adaptive".

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 29th September 2020 at 22:33..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote