Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th March 2019, 13:03   #11
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Sure there are the top branded tyres to fork out loads of £ on, but many are quite disappointing in reality. Mitchelins are great tyres if you don't mind changing them when the side-wall perish and crack between the treads as too much carbon black is used in the production of such tyres.
For me, I purchased a set of 4 auteli tyres 225/40/18 to put on to the hairpins I have on the 75. They are quiet, wet response is well above my expectations, as is the handling capabilities. The cost was £140 delivered to my works for the set. Fitted by my tyre team and geo adjustments followed.
The results are brilliant, but not expecting everyone to agree as peoples opinions differ for variable reasons, but I'm happy and my car feels great to drive as well as great fuel and noise markers supplied on the spec I chose.

Camskill tyres is where I source tyres from now if anybody fancies getting good priced tyres.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 06:49   #12
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

As you say you get what you pay for but some budget tyres are better than others. If you drive a R75 and waft around without putting any stress on them then fine but the only down side is if you were doing 70 mph on a motorway in heavy rain the budgets will not stop you as quickly as premium tyres in an emergency. Might not seem much but that 10 Meters might be the difference between you slamming into the back of a lorry or not.
Budgets (money wise) are different for everyone so it would be wrong to judge why people have a particular brand.
I have Conti 3s on my car as thats what was fitted from new. They are a great all rounder esp in the wet but the down side is they are a soft tyre so wear out quickly and I have noticed when you get near the wear bars the performance does drop considerably. Ive got a full set of Conti 5s to go on when these are on the wear bars. Not cheap but I just save up for them over a period of time.(They are £100 a corner!)
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 07:49   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A good friend of mine who thinks of cars the same way as his fridge or washing machine drives mundane cars unsurprisingly. When the tyres on his Focus were worn he fitted a set of budget tyres and mentioned he had saved over £200 on what he would have paid for premium tyres.

No problem for the next 6000 or so miles but he asked me to take a look at his car as there was an odd noise once he got above 50mph. I had a look and the only thing I could find was the tyres had started to ware oddly, loads of tread in some areas and a lot less in other areas and you could feel some blocks were higher than others.

He took it back to the tyre depot he had bought them from a few months before hand and they just shrugged there shoulders and said '' you get what you pay for, no warranty on those''

The previous premium tyres had lasted over 20k these budget tyres were not the saving he thought they were. He had a set of premium tyres fitted and his first comment was they car makes less noise on the motorway and feels so much better.

My view is those four pieces of rubber are the only thing keeping your car shiny side up when things get on the limit like heavy rain on the motorway.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 09:42   #14
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Back in the early 70s I had a Hillman Minx (the pre Chrysler one), a car which I loved, bench front seat (I was single then!)

It needed tyres so I went to the dealer & they had some newly imported tyres made of NYLON that were very cheap compared with the alternatives. Very happy with this in my naivety I got them fitted then 6 weeks later I applied the brakes at a junction in the wet, wheels locked but the car continued forward into a lorry & it was a total write off. Expensive lesson in "you get what you pay for"
Old 11th March 2019, 11:48   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
It looks like that they have the same budget v premium dilemma in Australia, too.

My kind of expert entirely. Like all his references to everything he talks about. My tyre dealer, who actually races cars, always gives you the advice about’ the first 20/30 miles to get rid of the slip’ which all tyres have when new. I wonder how many other dealers do the same?
Old 11th March 2019, 20:29   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
It looks like that they have the same budget v premium dilemma in Australia, too.

How totally and utterly true, and no dressing it up in flowery language either.

Spot on

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:54   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I have Conti 3s on my car as thats what was fitted from new. They are a great all rounder esp in the wet but the down side is they are a soft tyre so wear out quickly and I have noticed when you get near the wear bars the performance does drop considerably. Ive got a full set of Conti 5s to go on when these are on the wear bars. Not cheap but I just save up for them over a period of time.(They are £100 a corner!)
My 260 had the Conti's on from the factory. I ran-in the engine for 5k miles and lent it to a petrolhead mate to try. When it came back I noticed the tread was well past the bars and would shortly qualify as a slick. I gave him hell for donuting.

Put on a full set of the same. Jaw dropped in wonderment when at 5k miles the old bald eagle appeared again. After that I put on Avon's (various id's like ZZ3, ZZ5 etc) which gave me an uplifting 6k. Wow, I knew the 260 was a bit of a brute but I thought £250 annually for two tyres was close to deterring my enjoyment of rapid driving. Anyways, the fitment is 225/45/18 and due to a "clerical error" were next fitted with 235/45/18 Avon ZZ5's. These have given me 14k miles. I can only guess the extra 10mm width spread the toque load better than 225's.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 2nd October 2020 at 16:00.. Reason: Spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:57   #18
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
My kind of expert entirely. Like all his references to everything he talks about. My tyre dealer, who actually races cars, always gives you the advice about’ the first 20/30 miles to get rid of the slip’ which all tyres have when new. I wonder how many other dealers do the same?
This is true but I was always advised to go gently for a higher mileage than that.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 03:16   #19
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

About 10 years ago I was running MAXXIS on the MG V8. I had sort of settled on this tyre when doing 40k a year in my previous MGZT Cdti. When I bought the V8 back in 2008 it came fitted with a new set of KUMHO which were ok and lasted around 12k, replacing with the familiar MAXXIS .

Well on a spirit drive in a cold and damp winters day (Glen Coe etc) I lost not only confidence in me, and the car as the car was almost losing traction with the gentlest of acceleration. At a stopping point I got out and check the tyres which were still around 6mm only to find they had delaminated. All four tyre treads were running a few degrees off centre. I proceeded home in the most gingerly of drives and have paid much more attention in tyre selection.

The V8 now runs on either Goodyears (AS2 currently and for 2 sets) or previously Michelin PSP. I have ran Avons on a Fiesta and my now sold 75CDTi and they were good but not just quite as good as the AS2/PSP. I may put Rainsports on my Fiesta van next time around as I would like to experience these. I need A rated for rain (Cumbria) then I like quiet next finally value for money.

I have had a number of cars come with budget tyres (Infinity, Linglong & Accelerra) not certain death but noticeably lacking in the cold and wet of Cumbrian winters. You mainly get what you pay for but by taking heed of others (Here and other information sources) You can get a very good tyre for less than premium.

Last edited by Mr bountyfull; 3rd October 2020 at 03:19..
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:43   #20
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Youve got to be wary of anything called "Linglong" = dont think Id be putting those on my car!

Going back 19 or so years ago now when our 1st child was born my wife had a Classic Mini Cooper Sportspack. Lovely car but totally impractical for baby transportation so she took over my beloved Peugeot 405 estate, the Cooper went into the garage. (It could eat a front set of 175/50/13 tyres in 5000 miles!)I bought a 9 year old 1.8 Sierra as a runabout commuter. The tyres on it were deathtraps, I cant remember what brand, or brands as naturally they were varied, it would oversteer round the gentlest of corners, brilliant fun at times but scared the life out of me at others. A set of new budget tyres sorted that out to some degree and I was much reassured.

It never ceases to amaze me the people who know nothing or just dont care enough to check their tyres. Have a look next time you are in a carpark at all the dangerously underinflated and virtually bald tyres folks are running about on.

Nowadays running 4x4s I always try to replace all 4 together with the same quality brand. Those 4 little hand sized squares of rubber are all thats keeping you stuck to the road.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote