Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2020, 15:43   #11
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Next time anyone attempts to remove arm, LEAVE the NUT in place near to end of thread whilst you wiggle it all free, wedge cannot fly away.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:02   #12
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Next time anyone attempts to remove arm, LEAVE the NUT in place near to end of thread whilst you wiggle it all free, wedge cannot fly away.
I can recommend this
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:40   #13
KWIL
Precise

If they have been overtightened here is a tendency to form rouigh ridges on the inner bore, carefully remove as little as possible to free up. I mean as little, otherwise they may be useless.
Old 28th September 2020, 17:06   #14
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Well I've had no luck so far and I'm not taking the tray off today as it's started to rain. As a side note, I'm not sure if this is the case for all 75s but I looked at the other one and it is plastic so the magnet would be no use to me unfortunately.
Old 28th September 2020, 20:50   #15
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Wiper arm fixing

Hello again Andrew,

I have just rejoined your entry and seen the entries following mine. I cannot believe that the part is now made of plastic. What year is your car? The "loading" in the part when the wiper arm changes it's direct is considerable, and I cannot believe a plastic part would take that punishment.

The rough ridges that Kwill mentions are purposely set that way to lock into matching recesses on the wiper arm's hole to lock it in position. This is so that you can syncronise the positions of the arms to each other, and be locked to prevent either coming loose and clashing with the other.

As an alternative home made part, but as a very last resort after my suggestion below has been carried out, could you use a short length of the double lined, reinforced hose pipe, cut so it is just too "long" to be flush with the front edge of the wiper arm but still able to get the nut on the thread to compress the rubber into arm's hole to grip it. You need to be very sure that the arm is securely locked in position. The last thing you want is the two arms to suddenly lose their syncronized movement and clash with one another.

You really need to find your missing part, no matter how inclement the conditions might be.
What equipment do you have? Is it possible to raise the car where it is now with, at worst with the scissor jack in the boot with wooden blocks to progressively insert at each side/front is progressively raised until you can remove the front four and then the next two further under the engine, bend the undercover so that the front can then come outside the rear edge of the front bumper it has just been released from.

The front part of the cover should then drop allowing you to look onto the top of the undercover and if you are lucky, the missing part should be seen.

Just an idea, ..... if it is in fact plastic could you use a vacuum cleaner using the suction at the end of the hose, using the small brushed adapter, to suck the fitting from where it might be lodged?

Another idea, ... the wedge in a heavy duty bolted rawl plug, of suitable size, length and width, could be close to the dimensions of the missing part.

If you are still unable to fix it, as a short term last resort, just leave off the passenger side wiper arm altogether. If your car is an early PPD one, there should be enough sweep of the offside wiper to drive safely, with care.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 22:46   #16
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello again Andrew,

I have just rejoined your entry and seen the entries following mine. I cannot believe that the part is now made of plastic. What year is your car? The "loading" in the part when the wiper arm changes it's direct is considerable, and I cannot believe a plastic part would take that punishment.

The rough ridges that Kwill mentions are purposely set that way to lock into matching recesses on the wiper arm's hole to lock it in position. This is so that you can syncronise the positions of the arms to each other, and be locked to prevent either coming loose and clashing with the other.

As an alternative home made part, but as a very last resort after my suggestion below has been carried out, could you use a short length of the double lined, reinforced hose pipe, cut so it is just too "long" to be flush with the front edge of the wiper arm but still able to get the nut on the thread to compress the rubber into arm's hole to grip it. You need to be very sure that the arm is securely locked in position. The last thing you want is the two arms to suddenly lose their syncronized movement and clash with one another.

You really need to find your missing part, no matter how inclement the conditions might be.
What equipment do you have? Is it possible to raise the car where it is now with, at worst with the scissor jack in the boot with wooden blocks to progressively insert at each side/front is progressively raised until you can remove the front four and then the next two further under the engine, bend the undercover so that the front can then come outside the rear edge of the front bumper it has just been released from.

The front part of the cover should then drop allowing you to look onto the top of the undercover and if you are lucky, the missing part should be seen.

Just an idea, ..... if it is in fact plastic could you use a vacuum cleaner using the suction at the end of the hose, using the small brushed adapter, to suck the fitting from where it might be lodged?

Another idea, ... the wedge in a heavy duty bolted rawl plug, of suitable size, length and width, could be close to the dimensions of the missing part.

If you are still unable to fix it, as a short term last resort, just leave off the passenger side wiper arm altogether. If your car is an early PPD one, there should be enough sweep of the offside wiper to drive safely, with care.
Hi there,

My car is an 03 plate. I may be being totally dense but the one I didn't lose feels like plastic to the touch and isn't attracted to either magnet I tried. It does look sort of metallic, a dull grey...

I appreciate you taking the time to detail some possible solutions! Luckily I messaged a member of the forum as was recommended earlier and it is looking like they may have some lying around so fingers crossed.

As for equipment I have a trolley jack and a few axle stands as well as a fairly decent area to do work on cars (apart from the fact that some neighbours can't resist making comments when they walk past). I had a look at the undertray earlier and it is missing several fasteners so shouldn't be too hard to remove once up in the air a bit (or like you say remove enough that I can get a look inside.)

I agree I most definitely need to find this. I won't drive the car until it is sorted, as it is hiding in there somewhere and also as I'd prefer to drive with both wipers functioning. Luckily I have a wee runaround to keep me going. I will hope for some good news from the kind forum member tomorrow. If that fails, I will get under the car and get to work. If I still can't find it, I'll start trying the home made solutions.

Thanks again.

Ps I have a great hoover but no power where I park the car (and no 50 meter extension cord either haha)
Old 29th September 2020, 00:38   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

A magnet will not work as they are alloy metal, i think i have a few in the shed somewhere tomorrow i will have a gander and if so i will let you know.

I removed my wipers last week to add some newly sprayed arms, the trick is undo the nut and remove it leave it on scuttle panel, then lower the bonnet, lift up the wiper put one your hand on the wiper part of the arm that is lifted, then your fingers under the flat part of the arm, and riggle it up & down slightly you will feel the alloy wedge come loose, lower the arm back onto the screen, lift bonnet back up remove the nut then hold down the arm flat the wedge can then be removed easy.

Re-fit is the reverse.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2020, 07:45   #18
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
A magnet will not work as they are alloy metal, i think i have a few in the shed somewhere tomorrow i will have a gander and if so i will let you know.

I removed my wipers last week to add some newly sprayed arms, the trick is undo the nut and remove it leave it on scuttle panel, then lower the bonnet, lift up the wiper put one your hand on the wiper part of the arm that is lifted, then your fingers under the flat part of the arm, and riggle it up & down slightly you will feel the alloy wedge come loose, lower the arm back onto the screen, lift bonnet back up remove the nut then hold down the arm flat the wedge can then be removed easy.

Re-fit is the reverse.
Hi Arctic, thanks for clearing it up. Apologies to anyone I misled with my plastic comments. Looks like I need to go back to school and study the ferrous vs non ferrous metals

Great picture guide. It will come in handy for the next person I'm sure. Mine seemed tough to remove although I wasnt very patient with the riggling and went straight to an arm removal puller. This got me close and for the final hurdle, foolishly as I know now, I stuck a ball joint remover under the arm and pinged it all up!

Thanks for offering to take a look in the shed for spares, I appreciate it A member called Mick has also offered to take a look for spares today. This forum is a lifesaver and I'm learning a lot from it already.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:27   #19
KWIL
Precise

GEOFFWW.

Please reread my post, I said ridges in the inner bore, not ridges on the outside. The inside ones stop the alloy insert pulling down evenly, which can cause it to stick, making it difficult to remove the arm.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:46   #20
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for your replies and also I would like to publicly thank the very kind forum member Mickyboy. I messaged him quite late in the day yesterday and he has already found a replacement for me. Really nice guy.

So I would like to call off the search for this wedge. Thank you to others who offered to look for one.

Andrew