Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st January 2020, 09:21   #11
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Frothy Power Steering Fluid

This is beginning to turn into a saga which could rival EastEnders!

The garage ordered a new PAS pump which duly arrived and I got a call to say it was the wrong one and they wondered, as I’ve mentioned the Forum more than once, did I know where they could source the right one from.

Rimmers came up trumps (QVB101411E) and I rang the garage to let them know. Did I want to order it? No I perishing well don’t, you pay the exchange surcharge and have the responsibility of getting the old one back to them not me!

Anyway chased them up yesterday afternoon and it’s all ready (could they not have called me?). So off I trot in their loan car to get mine back.

Digressing slightly, getting into the Rover is like settling down in your favourite armchair, everything is just where it should be and all is right with the world!

It drove really well steering felt light and responsive and of course, no noise till ……………………………

Three miles or so down the road there’s a noise under the bonnet; didn’t like the sound of that and pulled over as the noise (akin to a bag of spanners in a washing machine) is getting louder.

Called the garage and they agreed to come out after I made certain they understood I was not driving anywhere and certainly not back to them with a noise like that!

Spent the next 30 minutes sat in the car watching the BBC news (thanks Canonite). The manger and a mechanic turned up, took off the plastic shield covering the PAS pulley and to their amazement the pulley is loose.

The ‘mechanic’ then turns to the manager and says, ‘I did wonder whether to locktight those bolts in when I fitted them’.

I refrained from any making any blindingly obvious comments at that point. Although the manager has assured me there would be a very reasonable reduction on the bill I’d just paid once they’d fixed it.

They tighten up the pulley nuts, start the car and once again all I can hear is the purr of the engine.

The car's gone back to the garage and I’m back in their 2002 Jaguar XJ loan car till later today when I’ll try to reclaim mine once more.

I have mildly noisy suspension front strut top bearings which I want done at some point, along with timing belts due towards the end of this year.

Somehow I don’t think this garage will be in the frame for a return visit!!

31 January 2020

Got the car back and half the labour costs refunded.

Fallen in love with it all over again, its a joy to drive!

Last edited by IGH; 4th February 2020 at 07:56.. Reason: Update
IGH is offline   Reply With Quote