Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th October 2019, 12:09   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Torx Bolt Front Disc Extraction

Too late for now, as I attempted to change the front discs and pads at the weekend and could see my T50 from my Draper set bending, so got nowhere with that. It went into the garage this morning for them to do the job, as I need the car later this week. For a very fair price they did it.

I would rather have done it myself but now need a suggestion as to a suitable set or tool, which could manage such a stubborn job, for the future?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 13:04   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Removed an extremely stubborn one recently with my Mac Tools T50 half-inch socket. I have a 3/8 socket set too but didn't want to risk that one.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 13:06   #3
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

About one and a half mins into this video. It works. This was a cross point but works with just about anything.
https://youtu.be/T8hJbPLqgjo
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 14:57   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo337 View Post
About one and a half mins into this video. It works. This was a cross point but works with just about anything.
https://youtu.be/T8hJbPLqgjo

he needs to clean is hands more as he works or wear gloves and change them often, he as contaminated the brake shoe pads the hammer & turn effect will only work if the torx/cross pint as not been damaged, if it as then you will either have to drill it out or try an extraction tool.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 15:12   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
... now need a suggestion as to a suitable set or tool, which could manage such a stubborn job ...
Hi Fred,

I've bought some Draper tools in the past and I've not been too impressed with their quality and durability. It certainly should not "bend" under any circumstances.

My suggestion, however, to deal with this job is simple. Lubricate the Torx screw thread* with Copper Ease and make sure that you don't tighten it any further than the MG Rover specified 33 Nm. If you do this, I guarantee that when you come to remove it again, you will have no trouble, even with a Draper tool!

Simon

* Some members will disagree with lubrication but I have practised this technique for decades and nothing I have tightened in this way has ever come loose or given trouble of any kind.
Old 7th October 2019, 16:30   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Too late for now, as I attempted to change the front discs and pads at the weekend and could see my T50 from my Draper set bending, so got nowhere with that. It went into the garage this morning for them to do the job, as I need the car later this week. For a very fair price they did it.

I would rather have done it myself but now need a suggestion as to a suitable set or tool, which could manage such a stubborn job, for the future?
Impact 'screwdriver'. I have a Draper one with a small selection of interchangable bits, now probably 15 years old but didn't cost a great deal at the time. Before attacking the screws, 'unsettle' the old discs/drums with a sharp tap of a hammer (if these are being replaced it doesn't matter, if they are to be retained use a copper/hide mallet or an aluminium drift/block between the hammer and disc/drum) and a likewise sharp clout (old technical phrase...) on the screws themselves using the appropriate bit inserted into the screw head, hit with said hammer/mallet.
Then, just use the impact screwdriver/bit per instructions usually provided - easy and 95% effective unless a gorilla carried out the last brake service/repair!!
On re-assembly use copperslip on the screw threads (for next time...) and remember that on our disc brakes these screws don't actually carry any significant load, that's all handled by the hub studs and taper wheel nuts.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 21:46   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
.........My suggestion, however, to deal with this job is simple. Lubricate the Torx screw thread* with Copper Ease and make sure that you don't tighten it any further than the MG Rover specified 33 Nm. If you do this, I guarantee that when you come to remove it again, you will have no trouble, even with a Draper tool!
Simon

* Some members will disagree with lubrication but I have practised this technique for decades and nothing I have tightened in this way has ever come loose or given trouble of any kind.
Thanks Simon, I too use that method, but encountered this difficulty "on the way in".
Old 8th October 2019, 00:39   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Impact 'screwdriver'. I have a Draper one with a small selection of interchangable bits, now probably 15 years old but didn't cost a great deal at the time. Before attacking the screws, 'unsettle' the old discs/drums with a sharp tap of a hammer (if these are being replaced it doesn't matter, if they are to be retained use a copper/hide mallet or an aluminium drift/block between the hammer and disc/drum) and a likewise sharp clout (old technical phrase...) on the screws themselves using the appropriate bit inserted into the screw head, hit with said hammer/mallet.
Quote:
Then, just use the impact screwdriver/bit per instructions usually provided - easy and 95% effective unless a gorilla carried out the last brake service/repair!!
On re-assembly use copperslip on the screw threads (for next time...) and remember that on our disc brakes these screws don't actually carry any significant load, that's all handled by the hub studs and taper wheel nuts.
HI John.
Something like this you mean which I came across recently

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 02:59   #9
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

In this situation, the next thing I would try is to get the Dremmel out and cut a slot in the face of the screw so that you can use a flat-bladed screwdriver.
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 07:54   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI John.
Something like this you mean which I came across recently
Wow, on mine all appeared intact, it just would not budge.