Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2010, 17:30   #531
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
Good stuff, Tony.

I had a quick look for an iPod charging adaptor but couldn't find one. If one can't be found, its not too difficult to solder in a connection for power.
Your right, I had been looking for the same thing with no luck, I even tried adaptors, Y leads ECT but could not find one, the only suggestion I can make is my portable hard drive has mini USB output and two standard USB input connectors because of the power they use, I don know if you could use this type of lead and modify one end to go onto the Ipod?

Membership No 135
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:52   #532
Radioguy
Banned

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
Good stuff, Tony.

I had a quick look for an iPod charging adaptor but couldn't find one. If one can't be found, its not too difficult to solder in a connection for power.
Would one from the Cigarette lighter work ?
I guess if charging you cant play it.
Dumb Question......

Lemme see whats out there?
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 22:17   #533
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Would one from the Cigarette lighter work ?
I guess if charging you cant play it.
Dumb Question......

Lemme see whats out there?
I made one in the past for my first double din unit. I just opened the iPod connector and soldered 2 wires onto the power feed for the iPod.

If an adaptor does exist then it would be of the "straight though" or "T" variety I would think.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 12:49   #534
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

I've done the USB mod, will take some higher res photos and a handy hints for anyone who out muCh soldering experience.

As for charging iPod. Has not looked too far into it, butassuming it's cos it's pulling too much current. Should be easily solved, check mp3car.com they should still sell a circuit that was developed a while back that can take a feedfromthe battery (accepts wide range of volt input) and regulates it to a stable 5v .

This will allow that USB to act as a powered USB, harddrives, etc etc anything that draws power from USB will then be possible.

Used them in a few computerbased multimedia car setups with success. Typing on iPhone now once back infront of comp will post links and more detailed explaination on possible solutions.

Might also dust off the software dev books, switch the brain to problem solving mode and look into maybe building a forum member only front end specifically built to Interface with this car and this unit.

This mod adds a great level of connectivity, wince is a very workable envirnoment. Adding tire pressure sensors, Internet 3g connectivity, wireless control, mass stroage..... Alot is possible,

I'll keep u guys posted on anything I do
The_Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 14:05   #535
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kman View Post
I've done the USB mod, will take some higher res photos and a handy hints for anyone who out muCh soldering experience.

As for charging iPod. Has not looked too far into it, butassuming it's cos it's pulling too much current. Should be easily solved, check mp3car.com they should still sell a circuit that was developed a while back that can take a feedfromthe battery (accepts wide range of volt input) and regulates it to a stable 5v .

This will allow that USB to act as a powered USB, harddrives, etc etc anything that draws power from USB will then be possible.

Used them in a few computerbased multimedia car setups with success. Typing on iPhone now once back infront of comp will post links and more detailed explaination on possible solutions.

Might also dust off the software dev books, switch the brain to problem solving mode and look into maybe building a forum member only front end specifically built to Interface with this car and this unit.

This mod adds a great level of connectivity, wince is a very workable envirnoment. Adding tire pressure sensors, Internet 3g connectivity, wireless control, mass stroage..... Alot is possible,

I'll keep u guys posted on anything I do
This potential of this system just keeps getting better and better .

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 22:59   #536
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

powered hub that pulls from the battery, can be switched on with accessory line, and a timer for shutdown - http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4..._p/adt-015.htm

This should be a reasonably good solution to add connectivity, and solve the charging issues.
The_Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 23:30   #537
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

AFAIK the issue with iPods is that the device has to be "live" or send a signal back to make it work.

I had a similar issue with my in car charger and my phone, I cheated and solved it by plugging the cable into a USB hub and then into the USB charger. No idea if it will work with an iPhone tho!

Wasn't a massive job to hook up an extra aux socket in the dash tho, to give USB charging - certainly not worth $85.00. MP3 Car is great... but a lot of the stuff there is needlessly expensive because it's for a CarPC, when other stuff does the job fine.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 13:55   #538
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begiorlegi View Post
Thanks, David.
In that case, I'll try first with the two aerials that come with the DVB-T that I took from Sean. If reception is poor, I'll buy the other one and try what you say fitting it at the bottom of the rear window. By the way, what about the red wire? What is it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

The red wire is the 12 V power connection. On the twin aerials they are phantom powered through the F-connector from the box itself.

They work fine in the front windscreen. They gave me a better signal than a single aerial, but I didn't try using two of the ones from Capese, that could be even better, but I didn't want to have so much hardware stuck to my back window.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 16:09   #539
M9_Nut
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default centre armrest charging

The Iphone/ ipod needs a 1A supply if I remember correctly.

Like Tony_Fry I want to charge and store it the centre arm rest. There is a cut out there about the size of a 12v supply socket. Initially I thought of mounting an additional 12 V socket to get the power there, then I found this:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_11187.htm

I wonder if there is any way of modding it to fit neatly in the arm rest and give us a powered usb socket and spare 12V supply.

Alternatively:-
something like this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99505
along with this
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=395289

Might be a much neater solution, but we still have the problem as Sean pointed out earlier of how to connect it to play as well as charge.
M9_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 16:43   #540
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Stewart View Post
The Iphone/ ipod needs a 1A supply if I remember correctly.
I have a 1A "iPhone compatible" AUX -> USB charger thing, but i'm not sure 1A is required when a standard USB port only puts out 500mA
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote