Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2009, 21:12   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default More lens help (Canon)

As some of you may remember I was looking to up grade my walkabout lens, I decided on the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. in the meantime my mate upgraded his Canon EF 70-200 F4L USM (non image stabilisation) to an F2.8 version. The upshot is that I bought his old lens - excellent condition in the box with lens covers, hood, skylight filter and moleskin effect carry bag and instructions - £350. I had a play today and whilst it is pin sharp and far superior to my 90-300 i seem to be missing the extra zoom Don't know if to give it another go or just sell on and go back to the Sigma plan!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:25   #2
CMWI
Loves to post

Monogram Atmosphere Kinetic ZT 180 Sport Auto

Stick with it!
Have had a few of these over the years, IS and non, and has become my standard lens really.
Your legs are the best zoom in the world for getting a bit closer and they are free!
If you still can't get close enough to the action try a 1.4x converter, they work a treat on this lens.
Failing all that I'll have first refusal please should you decide to sell on!
Mark
CMWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:39   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

I will have another go tomorrow and see how i feel then. If i do sell on it will of course be what I paid plus postage.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 5th December 2009, 21:56   #4
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Just a thought. If your missing the zoom at 70/200 how would you manage a 24/70 or would that be in addition to?

I did wonder what you'd decided on!

Last edited by Jontie; 5th December 2009 at 22:03..
Jontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 22:59   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

As i have an 18-55 and a 90 -300 kit lens,the sigma 24-70 would be used as the main lens with the 18-55 on the odd occasion i needed to go wider. Then hopefully replace the 18-55 with a 10-20 or something similar.
The 70-200 L is very sharp but comparing the zoom to my current one is obviously less. Common sense tells me to keep it but I'm not sure if I would be better overall with the Sigma? The Canon L turned out to be an impulse buy because of the price.

Old 6th December 2009, 14:54   #6
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi,
Is your 18/55 a 2.8? I just bought one on the bay for £190 and I have to say I'm delighted with it! It isn't in the same class as the Canon but it's only a third of the price and it's a range i won't use very often so couldn't justify the cost of the 16/35 2.8L. Here's a shot taken on my only outing with it to date.

There's no doubt that the 70/200 is one of the sharpest lenses around.
I wish you well with your decision, I think thats the best bit !!!
Old 6th December 2009, 15:47   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

no the 18-55 isn't 2.8. Think I'm going to sell on the 70-200, get the 2.8 24-70 then a 10-20. Stick with my 90-300 zoom for tho time being as it isn't used often.